TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've searched & searched & searched...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
I've searched & searched & searched...

Ive done a lot of research and I see a lot of people asking the questions, but not getting answers to these specific questions. Here's what I am thinking about doing:

Current - 305 TBI

Changes:
LT1 Intake (Haven't heard anyone do this on a 305)
Bored out to a 335
Turbo/Super charged (Haven't found anything)
Blueprinted and balanced
You get the idea.. but the top three I cannot find anything on. Anyone have any ideas?

I put this in TPI, because I will be dropping the TBI.

Thanks

James
Old 04-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
You wanna add lots of power to a convertable??
Old 04-15-2002, 12:57 AM
Supreme Member

of Course!!!

Why not?

Seems to be a silly question. Why would you want a fast convertible? Answers pretty obvious to me :lala:
Old 04-15-2002, 01:03 AM
Jza

I'll take a shot:

>LT1 Intake

You'd need to swap more than just the intake to get it to work (e.i. the computer, wiring, fuel pump.. your usual TPI swap stuff). <strike>The airflow characteristics of the LT1 intake wouldn't be best for a 335, too.</strike> [edit: actually, I'm going to reserve judgement on this statement for the time being]

>Bored out to a 335

Boring out a 305 gives you a 310. Boring and stroking a 305 gives you a 335.

>Turbo/Super charged

There aren't any "bolt-on kits" for turbochargers that I've ever seen for thirdgens, especially a thirdgen with a retrofit LT1 intake (the lower TB position would make for some noticable differences).

>not getting answers to these specific questions

I don't see a single "specific" question in your post. Just one broad "any ideas?". What do you want to know specifically?

>Why not? [convertable]

Some people are under the belief that it would twist the vehicle to useless, not to mention making an inherently dangerous car even more dangerous. (Not me, I love my convertable).
Old 04-15-2002, 02:02 AM
Supreme Member

Hey thanks for posting. I just wanted to make sure that the LT1 intake (with all the needed accessories) will fit on the 305. I know I pretty much asked three or four questions, but I just meant that I couldn’t find any of the answers to those and needed a little help.

I do plan on boring and stroking. I know I am going to get some flames saying get the 350, but I want my car unique and a 335 turbo(super)charged with an LT1 intake is about as custom and unique as you can get. IMO

As far as the Convertible goes I do plan a full spohn suspension and going to get the SFC’s, I think the alstons??? Strut tower brace, the whole works… Should twist it too much

With the above combo… I am probably looking at 280-350 (my guesstimates) (think custom chips, custom headers, the works) So the frame shouldn’t have a problem. If the 350 vert guys can do it, I don’t think ill have a problem. Any ideas on heads? Or where to call for charging her up?

Thanks

james
Old 04-15-2002, 03:16 AM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
Originally posted by Jza
Some people are under the belief that it would twist the vehicle to useless, not to mention making a dangerous car even more dangerous.
Yup. Glad to see you are gonna add stuff to it though, SFC's especially.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:12 AM
Supreme Member

the best suspension stuff is spohn.... the link is on the top.....
the best heads are AFR 190cc heads....... expensive.... but you pay for the quality..... Some people might say you need bigger AFR heads like the 195cc or the 200cc because you are planning a power adder, but keep in mind you have a polished turd for an engine.......

If i was you, Id rather just get a balanced blueprinted 350....................... It has a larger bore, and you can run the 2.02/1.60 valves in the head which will help the HP out a lot!!!!

Supercharger that with an LT1 intake and youll still be very unique, especially in a vert..
Old 04-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
My advice is to back out of this dream and form a more conventional plan, such as a specific performance goal, and work towards there.

For example, if you plan on running boost, intake selection is much less of an issue. Preston smith ran 9s in a SC'd 305 w/ stock TPI.

And what is the point in a stroked 305? The only unique thing is you'll spend more money than you would assembling a 350, and be slower to boot. From the outside it doesn't matter if it's a 283 or a 400, nothing unique about ANY displacement SBC, pick the engine that fits your budget and perf. goals..

And when you say turbo(super)charger, what do you mean. Do you only mean turbo, or do you mean turbo OR supercharger. As has already ben stated i think, plenty of kits are available for SCing these cars. There are no available turbo kits though.

Just seems like you're throwing out cool sounding ideas rather than making a plan. You've got a lot of stuff listed here to try to bite off at once. The TPI swap alone seems to be quite a project given your apparent experience level. Also, i noticed you said 280-350 in one of your posts. If thats your goal then by far the easiest way for you to get there is build a nice mild 350. A blown stroker at that power range would be a tremendous dissapointment IMO
Old 04-15-2002, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

if you people stopped flaming all the 305 people out there, we may actully find out what the 335 is like.......maybe it would be a GREAT daily driver powerhouse......whoa....oxymoron.....lol
Old 04-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Nothing wrong with using a 305 as long as it is practical for the goals you're trying to reach. For example, am *I* not retaining my 305 for my application at least for the time being? The way i see it a stock 305 is all i need to get kicked out of the track (13s) and if i had a cage and wanted more i could get into the low 12s / 11s just like willie and others have done while still retaining the stock shortblock.

However, dropping cash on a stroker kit for a 305 is just a complete waste of money. I (and if you read around so will anybody else) can guarantee that more power could be made for less money w/ a 350, including purchasing a 350 core. Why spend more money to go slower?

And the 'it's different' argument holds no water. Different would be building a full tilt V6 that can hang w/ a stout street 350. Or a turbo iron duke 4 banger doing the same. Or a turbo buick swap. Or a BOP / cadillac big inch swap. I'll say it again, there is nothing unique about any size SBC, no wow factor in being able to brag about a 334 stroker (except maybe 'wow it sucks that you dropped all that money into such a slug')

It's not like stroked 305s are a new idea. When you can purchase a kit to do something you can be sure of that. However, if you've never heard of any results from said kit, perhaps there's a reason for that. I mean, if it was such a super combo, don't you think it would make some buzz? Especially with the availability of 305 blocks. I mean, vortec head got a great rep cuz they were dirt cheap, yet they still need some work to make them useable. Well, since 305 blocks are basically free, wouldn't it stand to reason that if stroking it was so great then people would start to ****** 'em up?
Old 04-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I agree fully... If you want to be different, stroke a 350 to 383 and tell your friends it's a 331. Can't tell the difference anyway. (Externally)
Old 04-15-2002, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I dont agree and am so tired of the 350 Elitist bashing any one with a 305's idea to do something different with their engines. Everyone and their mother have 383 on these boards how many supercharged 335's do you know? My money / my car. I was just asking for advice, not for someone's opinions on getting a different engine. By the way you can buy the 383 kit for the 350 EVERYWHERE so does that make it a waste?

You keep claiming since you can buy the kit for the 305 it must be a horrible thing, though everyone sells it for the 350... hmmmmmm and because more places sell it for the 350 it sounds like the 350 is more the useless than the 305... If it is so hard to performance out a 305 than it should be embraced more than a 350 which anyone can buy off the shelf performance parts for. I appreciate everyone so far that has tried to help me with this project, but the elitist really need to stay off of the 305 posts unless you are going to post to help, not give their .02 on a 350. I was going to put in an LT1, but everyone is doing that, no one is doing what I want to do, hence my car will be done my way. I welcome anymore posts that can help me attain my goal. Thanks guys

James
Old 04-15-2002, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Sorry if it seemed harsh... But for some constructive advice...

Powerhouse has very affordable stroker kits for the 305, just make sure to have the kit balanced where-ever you get it. It's an additional charge, but well worth it, and usually not done unless specified. These kits are cast steel which is a little stronger, but with a blower you might want to go full tilt with steel/forged piston combo.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Sorry if it seemed harsh... But for some constructive advice...

Powerhouse has very affordable stroker kits for the 305, just make sure to have the kit balanced where-ever you get it. It's an additional charge, but well worth it, and usually not done unless specified. These kits are cast steel which is a little stronger, but with a blower you might want to go full tilt with steel/forged piston combo.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for reposting. My last comments were aimed more at ed maher, I have noticed he goes off on a lot of people that have 305's and chastise's them because they bought the "lowly" 305.

I plan on making the whole engine as bullet proof as possible. Do you believe there claim about 115 extra horses? With the LT1 intake, headers, supercharger, etc... It looks like I could hit 350 horses with a "lowly" 305. Now that is using "their" numbers, but if I could hit 300 at the wheels. I would be MORE than happy in my convertible.

With that intake what kind of heads should I be looking for?

Thanks Again
Old 04-15-2002, 11:05 PM

I once talked to a guy that said he did 15.5 with his 335.....
Old 04-15-2002, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Well, since a 305 TBI can do that anyway... I doubt that's the case so I am going to have to raise the flag...

But another dogger on the 305 anymore?
Old 04-16-2002, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
There is nothing wrong with him wanting to fix up his 305. The 305 has tons of potential. It may not be a drag racers dream engine but for a daily driver pulling 300+ horses it will hand the a**es to a lot of people. What he does with his money is up to him. He is asking for advice on the setup that he has plans not promos for 350s. Let this guy do as he pleases. Maybe one day we will see him in Hot Rod magazine or something.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:06 AM
Supreme Member

You would Do Better to Listen to the people with experiance, Jstcrzyengh

The 305 In any Derivation, is a peice of ****.

Trust me, I have two.

The 334 is Quite possibly the Worst Comibnation of Long stroke/small bore you could come up with in a SBC. You Run into all the Same piston speed issues of a 383, Yet at 50 Cubes less. You also have the wonderful Valve shrouding issues of te 305's small Bore. Effectively the "Worst of Both Worlds."

If You want to spend your money on a 334 build up, Don't Come posting back here with a "My car is Still Slow" Post. You Won't get much Sympathy. At least, Not from anyone who knows what the hell they are talking about.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:38 AM
Supreme Member

Right. I'm obviously a 350 elitist Did you even read my last post. I'm running my stock 305 myself justy to show it's potential.
You're right, it's your money, spend it as you wish. If you think there's a cool factor in spending more money to go slower, some nobility in losing, go right ahead and do the stroked 305. This subject has been beaten into the ground. Many folks that plainly know what they are talking about can and have explained w/ great detail all the reasons why stroking a 305 is a pure waste of money. By all means go out and build a fast 334 if thats what you really want to do. I'm just sure you could always build a faster 350 for the same money. Most people would find that constructive, inteligent advice. I'm sorry that you find that so annoying, i'll be sure to not go out of my way to irritate you with the voice of experience or reason again
Old 04-17-2002, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
Personally I am looking to replace my 305 with a 355 or possibly...

350 block .030 2 bolt with splayed mains (stronger than a 4 bolt block)
4.3 LT1 3 inch stroke crank
eagle SIR 6 inch rods
C/A forged flattops
Hot cam
LT1 intake conversion
42 lbs injectors (Ford)
58 MM TB (Holley)

makes for a nice 302....
haven't decided on heads...probibly something on the 210cc intake side.

later build a set of headers and slap on a couple turbos from a t-bird and dual intercoolers.

something in the 450/550 horse range will suit me fine
Old 04-17-2002, 09:39 AM

You keep claiming since you can buy the kit for the 305 it must be a horrible thing, though everyone sells it for the 350... hmmmmmm and because more places sell it for the 350 it sounds like the 350 is more the useless than the 305... If it is so hard to performance out a 305 than it should be embraced more than a 350 which anyone can buy off the shelf performance parts for.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:29 AM

Car: 2002 SOM z28
Transmission: T-56
Dude, you need help... but more with your personality than your engine dreams. Don't come on here begging for help and then talk smack to the ones who offer it... not cool. I'd wager that Ed's 305 would beat your 334 when all is said and done, so I wouldn't bag on him too much.

With that said, I'll step off my soapbox. You will need heads. You are taking the first step to building a better engine by getting rid of the TBI. Some people don't get that far... The heads on that engine stink big-time. If you're dead set on spending money on a 305/334, go with better heads. I think World Products is your best (only?) bet. You'll most likely need a great exhaust on that car too, to help out the small valves in every way possible. Which brings up a cam selection. Trust what Compcams (or whichever company you go with) tells you once they get done laughing. Opinions on cams are like ***-holes... we all have them, but half don't work worth a crap. You will need to know whether you have a roller block or a flat tappet... do you? Another thing you'll want to double check on is if there is a stroker kit for the 305 (and there is a reason no one buys these) that will give you relatively low compression and has forged pistons... you'll need it.

Last edited by Biochem; 04-17-2002 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Jstcrzyengh
I plan on making the whole engine as bullet proof as possible. Do you believe there claim about 115 extra horses? With the LT1 intake, headers, supercharger, etc... It looks like I could hit 350 horses with a "lowly" 305. Now that is using "their" numbers, but if I could hit 300 at the wheels. I would be MORE than happy in my convertible.

With that intake what kind of heads should I be looking for?

Thanks Again
If you are looking for 350HP with a supercharger, why waste your time and money in stroking the engine? You can do that without stroking it.

Heres the reason why everyone is so hard on stroking a 305:
You can build a 350 for the same cost or less. That would include picking up a 350 core.
You'd have more cubes with the 350.
You dont have to do any special work to the block (clearancing) or worry about rod bolts hitting camshafts and stuff like that.

If you really want to stroke the 305, well, go ahead. For the power level you are looking for, its a complete waste of time, effort, and money. If you want it 'bulletproof' and 'reliable' you wouldnt do a stroker anyway, it will put more wear and stress on the internal engine parts than a 305 or 350 would. The reason you see 383's around is because 400 blocks (at least around here) dont grow on trees. Not to mention the blocks are all getting pretty old and havent been cast in quite some time (aside of aftermarket blocks). Otherwise people would be building 400's and recommending them the same way people say to get a 350 over a 305.

Old 04-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Damn... These boards are really starting to suck, because of a few bad eggs... A lot of bench runners... who jump on band wagons. I've received just as many emails from people with the 334 praising it as posts from people with the 350 telling me to change. I didn't come on here "begging" I came on here to ask some unanswered questions and now I know why they always went unanswered by others. How can you say you could spend the same money to switch engines instead of building the 305?

Where did you go to school? Where Im from 1 + 1 = 2 not 1+1 = 1,345. First, I would have to buy a 350, than I would have to buy more expensive parts for the 350 than have it transplanted as I do not have the room to do it myself. My *** buying the engine and having it installed would cost me as much as bullet proofing my 305. Your just scared that you were wrong all these times. You would hate to see a 305 do what you've always said it couldnt. I drive a convertible, I don't run at a track... I don't need numbers on a piece of paper to confirm my manhood, I do just fine by myself. I don't need to "win" I just like to drive fast. I will tell you the emails that I have received from guys with 334's new exactly what they were talking about, unlike some of the posts which just mimic what others have said. If your a moderator, than you should know better. When moderators start trying to make members feel stupid about their posts than you know there is a problem.

You know you also talk about displacement all the time, than you need to tell the rice rockets with 400hp with out NOS and a 4 banger that it is impossible to do that. Now Im not sticking up for rice rockets, but displacement goes the way of the dinosaur when technology comes into place. Im not looking to make 1200hp where a nice BBC would be needed. I am looking for a 300hp engine, that is unique, gets great gas mileage (beat the 350 anyday), and keeps the car numbers matching.

I appreciate all the grown up emails I have received from guys with 334's who understood the kind of people on the boards. It's sad when people have to hold back from posting or start leaving the boards, just because some guys want to give their "opinions" or tell me I have a problem with my personality? How would you know my personality... this is a computer, you read the emotion into whatever you are reading...

There were 4 moderators to post. One actually did what a moderator is supposed to do, help with specific questions (Thanks JZA I really appreciate the information). The other three seemed to fan the whole "350" fodder. You know these boards use to be the boards to go to, to get reliable information and not get flamed everywhere, but it's turning into the other boards and that's sad for our cars and our sport.

I still look forward to anyone who can give me more information. If you need to email me in fear of being flamed please do so.

James
Old 04-17-2002, 12:22 PM

Car: 2002 SOM z28
Transmission: T-56
If you don't like the answers you are hearing, then please don't go away mad... just go away. Where does it state that if you are a moderator, you need to help every lame-o who asks a stupid question? They just make sure the posts don't get out of hand (a place this one is heading thanks to you). You came here to ask for opinions on your dream combo and that is exactly what you are getting. If you think your 305 super rocket is going to make better gas milage than a 350, I think you are still quite deluded. I made 25+mpg with my carbed 355 and still put out a lot more HP NA than your proposed SC'd engine. And a lot more TQ too. Of course, I listened to these guys instead of calling them morons, so what would I know.

Do the price calculations. To buy the crank/rods/pistons you will need it would come out to about $1K. To pull the engine and have it machined/blueprinted will run another couple of hundred. I can buy a stout 350 small block for $1500 easily. Where is your cost savings?

Any engine builder worth his salt will tell you that the power is in the heads, so you'll need those either way. A 350's options are a lot more plentiful than those for a 305.

As for those ricers getting 400HP... you forgot to add that they bust things on every other run too. So much for technology there. I also have not seen anyone who was scared of running against a stroker 305, I'm not. Nor have I seen any of these mystery stroker 305s confirming their numbers either. If they are willing to cheer you up, then listen to them and don't get your panties in a wad over the suggestions we gave.

Maybe when you graduate high school, get your driver's license, and actually build an engine or three, you will come to realize how rediculous you sound...
Old 04-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

You're obviously very well informed, lets see here:

Where did you go to school? Where Im from 1 + 1 = 2 not 1+1 = 1,345. First, I would have to buy a 350, than I would have to buy more expensive parts for the 350 than have it transplanted as I do not have the room to do it myself. My *** buying the engine and having it installed would cost me as much as bullet proofing my 305. Your just scared that you were wrong all these times. You would hate to see a 305 do what you've always said it couldnt. I drive a convertible, I don't run at a track... I don't need numbers on a piece of paper to confirm my manhood, I do just fine by myself. I don't need to "win" I just like to drive fast. I will tell you the emails that I have received from guys with 334's new exactly what they were talking about, unlike some of the posts which just mimic what others have said. If your a moderator, than you should know better. When moderators start trying to make members feel stupid about their posts than you know there is a problem.

Yes you'd have to buy a 350 to have a 350. Just like to have a 334 you have to buy the 305 stroker kit. Last i checked you can get a 350 core for $1-200. The 334 kit runs $600+. You still need machine work either way, in the case of the 334 you also have to do a bunch of fancy clearancing of the block for the longer stroke and measuring to check interference, possibly need a custom reduced base circle cam, etc, etc. Now do you see why we're saying that you can build a 350 to make more power for less money? Not only does the 334 kit cost more than the 350 core, but you're going to spend more on machine work and custom parts to make the 334 work than on the 350 as well.
And BTW, you need the room to pull the engine to build either one, so i guess that just throws your whole plan out the window since you don't have the room to do a 350 swap.
And i drive a convertible too. I don't need slips of paper to prove my manhood either, but i go to the track because unlike you wannbe go fast posers, i like to see and know exactly how my car responds to mods. And thats why my stock 305 will always be faster than your imaginary turbo LT1 334. I prefer to prove my manhood by walking the walk rather than talking the talk. You want me to believe in your project, do it and prove us all wrong.[/b]

I appreciate all the grown up emails I have received from guys with 334's who understood the kind of people on the boards. It's sad when people have to hold back from posting or start leaving the boards, just because some guys want to give their "opinions" or tell me I have a problem with my personality? How would you know my personality... this is a computer, you read the emotion into whatever you are reading...

Right, there's a cult of guys w/ 334s out there secretly emailing people when they ask abot them, but yet never post about them. Even if they are out there, they must not be doing to well if they won't even post to talk about their success. I'd eat my words if someone could ocme in here and show me evidence that it's a viable combo.
Ten again, maybe the guys emailing you are fellow TBI trolls who also *think* a 334 is a keen idea, but like you haven't and can't do the swap to find out how poorly it runs.

There were 4 moderators to post. One actually did what a moderator is supposed to do, help with specific questions (Thanks JZA I really appreciate the information). The other three seemed to fan the whole "350" fodder. You know these boards use to be the boards to go to, to get reliable information and not get flamed everywhere, but it's turning into the other boards and that's sad for our cars and our sport.

This wasn't a flame until now IMO. We've been trying to help you, but apparently you are beyond taking our experienced and informed advice. I'm sorry we're so beneath you, but if you already knew so much then why bother posting. Don't worry, i know that soon you'll realize that you're never actually going to do the TPI swap let alone an engine swap or a turbo. Why don't you go back to the TBI board w/ the rest of the dreamers and let the guys who are here to really go fast get back to our business.
In my case, busines of the summer is to get kicked out of as many tracks as possible by running 13s in my vert w/ a stock 305 TPI in it. I can see how you'd think i was biased to 350s
[/B]
Old 04-17-2002, 12:28 PM

You know you also talk about displacement all the time, than you need to tell the rice rockets with 400hp with out NOS and a 4 banger that it is impossible to do that. Now Im not sticking up for rice rockets, but displacement goes the way of the dinosaur when technology comes into place. Im not looking to make 1200hp where a nice BBC would be needed. I am looking for a 300hp engine, that is unique, gets great gas mileage (beat the 350 anyday), and keeps the car numbers matching.

I still look forward to anyone who can give me more information. If you need to email me in fear of being flamed please do so.

James
Blah blah blah...

Where did YOU go to school? Stroker kits arent free you know. And parts cost MORE for a 350? Sorry, but if you're building a 305 its going to cost more than a 350 for parts (like pistons, rings, head gaskets...). How do I know? Well, I sold parts for 8 years.

"First, I would have to buy a 350, than I would have to buy more expensive parts for the 350 than have it transplanted as I do not have the room to do it myself"

Well, while you could put in a stroker crank without pulling the block, the sheer amount of work involved in dealing with the crossmember being in the way (not to mention metal shavings) would require pulling the block anyway. Physically, the 305 and 350 are identical on the outside. Its no different than pulling and installing another 305.

"Now Im not sticking up for rice rockets, but displacement goes the way of the dinosaur when technology comes into place."

I guess I just dont know what to say... All those top fuel cars have pretty small engines and are pretty slow I guess.

"I am looking for a 300hp engine, that is unique, gets great gas mileage (beat the 350 anyday), and keeps the car numbers matching."

Like I said, just build the 305. Supercharged, you dont need the stroker kit. Dont waste your money.

And I dont know anything about 334's... have only driven 3 cars with them, so dont ask me.

You seem to be the one with the problem here. You have it set in your mind to build something 'different' by throwing money away on something you dont need for 350HP (stroker kit) and all of a sudden I'm an idiot who is not helping you and causing problems? If you read my post, I didnt flame you. I simply told you that you dont need the stroker kit, its a waste. It will also sacrifice the reliabilty you are looking for. Then you see fit to flame me? Excuse me while I tell you to get lost. I am not putting up with some opinionated piece of human trash that cant take an honest and reasonable piece of good advice that contradicts their thinking without attacking that person. And build your stupid 334 if youre really set on it, throw your money at the parts and the block to do so, have something 'unique' (even though from the outside not a single person on the face of the planet will be able to tell).

Last edited by madmax; 04-17-2002 at 12:32 PM.

Old 04-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Re: I've searched & searched & searched...

Here's your specific help. I'm only doing this so i can lock the thread and hopefull be done with you.

LT1 Intake (Haven't heard anyone do this on a 305)
Thats because no one's done it yet. Why not be the first and let us know how it goes.

Bored out to a 335
You can't bore a 305 out remotely that large. To get that big you need a stroker crank. The kit for this costs more than a350, and teh machine work to put it in a 305 makes the hidden costs 5x worse than normal as well.

Turbo/Super charged (Haven't found anything)
Go to the power adder board for these topics (sorry curt), i'll give you a hint. Nooone makes a turbo kit for these cars, so if you want one it requires custom work. If you want a SC that can be had from major manufacturers like paxton, vortech, ati

Blueprinted and balanced
Blueprinting refers to how carefully and exhaustively you measure all your clearances and such while you assemble the engine. Ideally you mix and match stuff like bearings to get these all down to "blueprint" or ideal specs.
Balancing is the process of balancing the bottom end of the engine. This will be more expensive than balancing a 350 or even a 383 stroker b/c the 305s small bore light pistons are going to be diffficult to match to the heavy stroker crank.

There's your specific answers, thread closed.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:34 PM

The other three seemed to fan the whole "350" fodder
Sorry, I did not understand a comment of yours. Never mentioned anything related to a 350.

But I must say, after reading your posts, I think your personality fits a 305 perfectly. I say go fo it