TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Types

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1969 C-10 Truck
Engine: 355 Small Block, HSR, HP EFI ECM
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 373
Fuel Injector Types

I currently am running a Holley Steath ram HP setup on my 69 C-10 Truck.
Bought it second hand and think I am dealing with leaking injectors. In a pressure test the system primes and drops down to 10 psi fast. It doesn't matter if I clamp the return line or the feed line after it primes. The fuel is not dumping out the vacuum line of the FPR so it has to be the injectors leaking down.
I would like to discuss injector types. The setup came with Rochester/Delphi 36 lb injectors the kind with the 3 nozzle.
I was considering having them rebuilt, however in looking for a repair shop I have run across several people discussing Bosh Type 3 injectors with a "better" spray pattern.
I can pick up a set of those for the same price as rebuilding mine.
Has anyone been down this road and wouldn't mind pointing out some of the pro's and cons? Possible help me decide?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Fuel Injector Types

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...p?productid=63
Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by riche
I currently am running a Holley Steath ram HP setup on my 69 C-10 Truck.
Bought it second hand and think I am dealing with leaking injectors. In a pressure test the system primes and drops down to 10 psi fast. It doesn't matter if I clamp the return line or the feed line after it primes. The fuel is not dumping out the vacuum line of the FPR so it has to be the injectors leaking down.
I would like to discuss injector types. The setup came with Rochester/Delphi 36 lb injectors the kind with the 3 nozzle.
I was considering having them rebuilt, however in looking for a repair shop I have run across several people discussing Bosh Type 3 injectors with a "better" spray pattern.
I can pick up a set of those for the same price as rebuilding mine.
Has anyone been down this road and wouldn't mind pointing out some of the pro's and cons? Possible help me decide?
Go with the Bosch 3's hands down. You'll be very happy with them. They atomize the fuel extremely well and they are very reliable. If we can help you in any way give us a shout. TGO members receive 10% off.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the replys,
I believe I have this injector on my stealth ram. 36 LB
http://www.holley.com/522-361.asp

Would you be able to tell me if this injector is comparable? BOSCH 0280155811 (I would like to find a rebuilt set. Just can't afford a new set of injectors at this time.)
And I have read about type 3 injectors being shorter than TPI injectors. Would you know if that would be an issue for The stealth ram intake?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Sponsor

In all honesty it is a decent injector as long as it's new. If it's an older injector then all I can say is that they are extremely problematic. We swear by bosch. They are reliable, easy to tune, atomize fuel more efficiently than other brands, improve performance,,,,,,but that is just our opinion. We've been selling them for years. Always receive positive feeback on them.
We have them in reman's. As far as the stealth ram intake is concerned, it's not an issue. The bosch lll's will be just fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are those the old Rochester Multi Tec.....I usually stay away from Holley.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Not real sure from what I have been reading so far I have seen it called a Rochester/Delphi.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Sponsor

They are the multec style injectors. You are still able to purchase that type "new". The ones that were really problematic were made between 1985-1993.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 AM

Patiently waiting for a set of Bosch 3's to show up at my door.
I am hoping to see some good things, With what I think is a leaky injector condition and poor gas millage from my aftermarket set-up. These things shouldn't have to do much to impress me.
Thanks Southbay

Last edited by riche; 04-29-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Sponsor

Keep us posted.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Mail man had a present for me when I got home last night!
I decided to do South Bay a favor and "Freshen Up" this set a little.
Those white 36#ers do not age gracefully, but I am hopping they live up to their reputation.
I should get my ECM back from Holley today, maybe I can get it running this evening!
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Injector Types-photo.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Sponsor

Your right. For some reason the white 36lb bosch's cosmetically look terrible. They become stained from the heat and it is impossible to remove. We usually let customers know that they are not the most attractive injectors however rest assured that they will be fine as everything is cleaned and flow tested on our benches before they leave our shop. Let us know how they work out
Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Not trying to steal the thread, but Since this is the most active thread on the subject, I got a question for southbay:
I am gonna need new injectors soon because I have a leaky injector(s) problem from my reman set. I was reading on your site that the Bosch III's need an adaptor. Did I misread it or if not could you elaborate. (Are they included in the listed price, are they already attached...) also how does the discount work?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:56 AM

I plan on taking a few pic's this evening and compare them to my Holley injectors. From what I have read you need the adapter or an extra o-ring on the bottom of the injector for a TPI intake. Since I have a HSR intake. I wanted to post some pic's if the extra o-ring is needed or not.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by alex722607
Not trying to steal the thread, but Since this is the most active thread on the subject, I got a question for southbay:
I am gonna need new injectors soon because I have a leaky injector(s) problem from my reman set. I was reading on your site that the Bosch III's need an adaptor. Did I misread it or if not could you elaborate. (Are they included in the listed price, are they already attached...) also how does the discount work?
The Bosch lll's are 1/8 to 1/4in shorter than the stock injectors. So yes, if you have a stock intake manifold then you will need either the double oring set up or our adapter. Both serve the same purpose, to accommodate for the difference in length for proper fitment. The only time that the orings or the adapter is not necessary is if you have an aftermarket intake as the injectors will sit too far up into the rail. The standard bosch lll's will fit just fine. Sometimes if there is any question we just send an extra set of orings with the injectors anyway.
Yes, the adapters are included in the price, and they are applied by us. We do not sell them separately because if they are not applied properly you can develop a vacuum leak. So far to date we have never had that issue. If you decide to purchase a set from our website, type in tg11 at checkout as a promo code and you will receive 10% off, or you can give us a shout at the shop...mention that you are a tgo member and we will apply the discount to your purchase.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 PM

Southbay is right,
With the extra o-ring on the bottom. The fuel rail wouldn't line up with the bolt holes. I pulled the o-rings off and the fuel rail sat right down into place. No spacer or o-ring is needed for HSR intake.
It really likes those injectors, I am having a few issues though I hope to figure it out this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Injector Types-injector-1.jpeg   Fuel Injector Types-injector-2.jpeg  
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Did you ever have one of those days when you know you did something and got one result. And then you decided to do it again and got a different result?
Well that is just happened to me, The first thing I did when I hooked up the fuel gauge and saw I had a leak down was clamp the return line and test again. Well it leaked down again so I went on with my trouble shooting and decided the injectors were leaking... Well after replacing my injectors and still having the leak down I decided I would do all the same fuel pressure test "again". Well low and behold I clamped the return line and guess what? the pressure held!!!

SMH...
Make your list and check it twice my friends...