TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with what feels like a Missfire '87 L98 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with what feels like a Missfire '87 L98 Camaro

I have a 87 L98 TPI Camaro that has an annoying misfire. Its not so bad at idle until the car in put into gear and then the engine vibration increases. Driving it misses under load (and probably when not under load). It feels kind of like one cylinder is not firing.

This problem arose after car sat for 2.5 years with the car not being started the entire time (yep, I should know better). It did fire up and run with the old gas but ran very bad until I ran all the gas through the engine (Probably another mistake here). Since, I have ran at least two tanks of gas through the engine and it has improved. I also tried some fuel injection cleaner in the tank. Maybe some very minor improvement, but maybe not. I did change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Still no improvement. I changed the fuel filter as well with no improvement.

I have checked for spark at the plugs and it is there. I put a noid on each fuel injector connector and the signal seemed to pulse fine.

I tried listening to each injector with a hose, but it was hard to tell if they were actuating. When touching them they all felt like they were actuating.

I pulled a plug wire off the cap one at a time to see if I could isolate a bad cylinder but pulling any plug wire made almost no difference, the car ran equally well with each wire pulled.

I'm still thinking its the fuel injectors, maybe working but varnished up from sitting. Would a fuel pressure regulator cause this? How about a MAF? Any ideas of help is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Help with what feels like a Missfire '87 L98 Camaro

My bets on the varnished injectors
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Need to disable IAC to do cylinder power balance test. (pulling plug wires.) Otherwise, IAC just opens up a bit to raise RPM back to where the ECM thinks it should be.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L31, LT4 hot cam
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:43 LSD

Poss. blocked evap canister (worth checking before looking at the more expensive stuff). If you have a non-vented gas cap, loosen this and see how it runs
Old 09-02-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
My bets on the varnished injectors
You win! Some SouthBay injectors and she runs great. I only wish they were black instead of yellow since everything under the hood is original and I like to keep the factory look.