Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Soft clutch pedal?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Zya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft clutch pedal?!

I have a 99 ss 6 speed ls1 camaro . 22,000 miles. I took of and the tires spun through 1st and into second when i got to the redlight i noticed my clutch is ALOT softer then before... Did I mess anything up?!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZYA- a few things could contribute to this.

Your car has a hydraulic clutch system. You have 3 main parts to this system.

-Master clutch cylinder reservoir (where you put the brake fluid in)
-Master clutch cylinder
-slave clutch cylinder

Normally, you will have fluid in all 3 and both lines that connect them together, no air. When you press on the clutch, you are plunging the master clutch cylinder which acts like a bike pump..but rather than air, it forces fluid thru a line, into the slave cylinder, which then plunges a rod into a "cradle" or a divot in the clutch fork arm that protrudes from the bellhousing. When force is applied, the rod in the slave cylinder pushes the clutch fork arm which in turn releases your throwout bearing (or release bearing) from the fingers on the pressure plate.

When you press on the clutch, and its spongy...normally you cannot disengage the clutch. But you didnt mention that so I cannot add much more.

When you have a spongy clutch pedal, you may have somehow introduced air into the system which contributes to a loss of pressure (fluid will create more pressure than air when force is applied in this manner). Check your reservoir first to see if you are low on fluid, if it is empty then you may have introduced air into the master cylinder and the entire system must be bled, like when you redo your brakes. The bleeder valve is found on the slave cylinder next to the feed line.

Any more info on symptoms may help, ZYA, I hope I helped some.

-blain