Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

More whiney shift kit/reprogrammer questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More whiney shift kit/reprogrammer questions

Lads,
RB & TomP got me all tuned up on my shock-mount question, so I'm feeling ****y. Also appears we have $50-$100 extra bucks in the kitty (Home Depot rules!) for something fun. Woo-freakin'-hoo!
Now, in my experience, bang-screech shifting & a good sounding exhaust are the two most "fun" mods you can make (when you can't afford horsepower) to an otherwise stock car, & a reprogramming/shift kit is cheaper'n an exhaust, so here we are.
Car is an '83 RS, 'puter Q-Jet 305/OD automatic (which would it be, 700R4? 200?). The trans has been rebuilt by a trusted shop within living memory &, truthfully, shifts well for what it is. Just soft. We'd like to seriously firm shifts (chirping second ROCKS, right?) and maybe raise shift points a tad, without going full manual or getting too obnoxious. Down the road this trans will be getting a mild (300 hp?) 350 in front of it, if this is a factor in my decision.
To give you an idea of my expertise in this area, I've installed several valve-body-plate type kits & tossed many an accumulator spring & #6 check ball in my time, (mostly T-Flites) but never actually rebuilt an automatic. So I'm not really terrified of the inside of an automatic, just a tad leery. OD autos with scary solenoids & TV cables in 'em are fairly new to me, however, so a kit with good, clear instructions is a must. I'll probably even read 'em this time.
So, who do I call? TransGo is semi-local to me & I've used 'em successfully in the past, have they got what I want?
Related question: I believe this car has a locking convertor. Does anyone make a slightly looser convertor with the locking feature intact that'd handle our planned power levels? We'll be installing a cooler, probably concurrent with the kit install.
This car will probably never see a drag strip, so good, strong-running STREET fun is the concept here.
As always, any tips, thoughts, jokes or downright insulting insights are greatly appreciated. We do this stuff for FUN, right?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-01-2001, 03:57 AM
Supreme Member

The final results depend on the car. If you have highway gears it is harder to get what you want. If you have low gears it will come easy. Also, the looser the converter, the softer the shifts.

Next, I too like to bark the tires on the shift but the problem is the tranny and optimum performance (acceleration AND reliability) DON'T.

You can't go wrong with TransGo but if you are more interested in hard shifts then you will have to get the 'Vette Servo big boost valves, etc. Then you will have to go on the larger side for hole selections. For a converter: The number for Continental Converters in Inglewood Ca. is 1-310-674-1072
Old 11-01-2001, 08:57 AM

Leo,
Thank you. You've got me started & everybody's nice & local, too. I read your other posts & have learned pro'lly more than I ever wanted to know. LOL. Apparently if we want a super-killer trans we need to ditch the '83 unit anyway, & that'd be WAY down the road. Again my course is clear. This board's workin' out REAL well for me.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-01-2001, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
By the way I am a distributor/user (21+ years) for Continental torque converters and also a distributor/user (24+ years) of Trans-Go products, if you need any help give me a call. If you call Continental ask to talk to Kris or Jimmy. Chances are I will be able to give you a better price since they do not like to sell to the public in general, and the same with Trans-Go. I'm not far from you. 800 7763288 M-S 10-6 PST.