Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

new clutch now wont engage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new clutch now wont engage?

so i see alot of guys have a disengaging problem when they put a new clutch in?? well mine won't engage! lol,, i put a new motor in swapped out the clutch flywheel and pressure plate for new one, new throwout bearing and pilot bushing. anyway, now if i start the car i can push the clutch pedal down, put it in gear let it out and it just squeals horribly! and wont move i can shut it off put the car in any gear and push the car like its in neutral like the clutch disk isn't on the flywheel? like its always being depressed?, and my slave cylinder rod that pushes agains the fork, is not straight its like going to the right if your standing in front of the car into the fork? and the throwout bearing only went like halfway into the fork when i installed i don't have any pictures as i thought it was good but then once i got it running realized something is really messed up.... any help?? thanks guys!.. oh and my master cylinder rod that goes from the clutch pedal through the firewall into the clutch master cylinder snapped?! of course i know to fix that i need a new one lol .thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: new clutch now wont engage?

Sounds like you have the tall throwout bearing in there. The 6-cyl one. Prolly about 3/8" or so taller than this one.

Get the right throwout bearing. Should fix it right up.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 PM

i ordered the kit for a v8, guess its always a possibility the damn parts store gave me the wrong one i guess huh lol. would that exta height be the reason that the slave cylinder rod is one an angle instead of being straight?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

the reason that the slave cylinder rod is one an angle instead of being straight
Probably not. More likely, the fork isn't sitting on the ball stud correctly. In fact, it's even conceivable that the fork being installed wrong is the whole problem, although I kinda doubt it. Regardless, it's clearly wrong, and the transmission has to come out to fix it, along with inspecting the TOB.

I'm suspecting that the "shoulder" feature circled in the pic is about 3/8" taller on the one you have, than the one in the pic. It's for a 6-cyl type of clutch, called "raised diaphragm", designed for engines with no torque and drivers that expect "easy" on the pedal.

What's happening is, the taller TOB cannot move rearward, toward the trans, far enough to clear the clutch diaphragm. Then, when you push the clutch, it goes so far forward, it bottoms against the crank, thus creating parts breakage.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Pics and measurements would be helpful. Comparing to old parts that used to work isn't a bad idea.

Completing car details helps: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/prof...do=editprofile
because an 84 Camaro could have different engines than a V8.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Guess I should clarify it's a 86 z28 with a 80-85 305 motor I just dropped in. Still the stock t5 it came with. Can't get any pictures at the moment. Don't have the tranny out and I can't measure the rod travel seeing as my master cylinder rod snapped by the firewall. Didn't break the clip the rod actualy snapped! So I know something is installed wrong and idk if it's the TOB, or the clutch fork is off. When I get off this rig I'll be home and tearing the tranny out.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:53 PM

And I'm also still very curious why the slave cylinder rod is sitting on an angle to the right instead of being straight on the fork. I think that's why my master cylinder rod snapped pushing that fork on an angle.. But I'm not sure either way everything needs tore apart. Shitty part is I just got this motor in and wanted to take the car for the first drive that didn't happen lol.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Re: the fork and slave angle, Compare the slave and it's rod to known,correct parts.same for the fork and bell housing ball stud. Did the car and clutch work or did you buy the 86 as a project?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM

Never drove it never ran but I can say that if I put the car in gear I could never push it if I put the clutch in I could just like how it's suppose to be. Now I can put it in hear and push it like it's in neutral. So that's why I'm just curious why tha angle is happeneing. Never looked at it be4 I took the motor out and went to put this one in.