V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

MAF sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF sensor issue

So my idiot light came on the other day and I preceded to run the codes and got a code 34, which is the code for the MAF sensor according to my Haynes manual. The manual said to check terminal C for .5 volts at closed throttle and I believe 4.5 volts at WOT. Terminal A showed 12-14 volts, Terminal B showed apx 2.5 volts and terminal C showed no voltage. Assuming that sensor was bad since it showed not voltage signal on terminal C, I ordered a new one from Autozone, a Duralast. I popped it in and my car instantly started stalling and would barely run, I checked terminal c on the new sensor and still got no voltage. Yes i am making contact with the wires in Terminal C and yes i confirmed this with multiple multi-meters (expensive and reliable ones). The odd thing is that if i unplug it and run the car with no MAF sensor or with my old "broke" sensor the car runs normally (not ok but decently), but if I plug in the new MAF sensor the car instantly begins stalling. Is there supposed to be voltage on terminal C or is my manual wrong? also any ideas on what might be causing this conundrum?

Thanks mighty car gods. you haven't failed me yet
its a 1986 2.8 V6

Last edited by fenderman93; 04-26-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Car info
Old 04-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: MAF sensor issue

If it runs roughly with the old one and runs roughly without one , but dosnt run with the new one, id say the new one is crap or the wrong maf possibly ?
there is a maf burn off relay, i have no idea what it is or does but its maf related. Just some ideas ??????
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 PM

Re: MAF sensor issue

I actually just replaced the burn off relay and it made the idiot light go away and after thinking about it for awhile i figured that i must've got a bad MAF sensor as well. So ill take it back. But the only thing i still cant figure out is why terminal c on the maf sensor is not putting out .5 volts at idle like its suppose to (according to the Haynes manual)?