V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

How to reset engine & timing on 2.8? Confused.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
How to reset engine & timing on 2.8? Confused.

Hey guys, awhile back I replaced most of my engine's ignition system and for this I had to reset the timing. I set the balancer to 0 and the #1 piston to TDC (Is this BTDC? I see that term here a lot haha). The engine runs fines like that, but from what I've read I know the engine is supposed to be around 10* BTDC, I'm assuming the process to getting there is something like this?

-Disconnect EST bypass
-Connect timing light to #1 spark plug line
-Start engine
-This is where I'm confused, I'm guessing when I see the flash I'm supposed to see the balancer show the big notch at the 10* position? Or move the dist. until it says so? what am I looking for?

Should I do the process of resetting my Minimum Idle Speed too? Is there anything else I should take care of before taking the car on the road?

Many thanks guys
Old 06-23-2017, 06:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: How to reset engine & timing on 2.8? Confused.

You shouldn't need to reset your idle speed, that is controlled by the ECM and your IAC motor. Some will say to do it, but there's a reason that screw is blocked off on your throttle body. If your idle is off, you have something wrong, moving that screw will only hide your problem.

You have the steps correct so far for timing. You will see the timing light flashing, you want to line the mark on the balancer up with 10* mark on the timing cover by turning the distributor little bits at a time until it's lined up. Make sure to do this with the engine warmed up or your timing will be off. Once you have it lined up, tighten the distributor hold down bolt and double check it to make sure you didn't bump it at all. Plug it back in and you're good to go.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The only thing I can add is to use #4 for the timing light. This is the center cylinder driver side. Much easier then trying to safely drape the cord over the engine to the passenger side.

Be sure to key-off for at least 10 seconds after reconnecting the EST/BYPASS connector.

RBob.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P

Thanks guys I think I got it down, with the engine warm and running I need to slowly nudge the distributor until the timing is aligned so that the notch on the balancer is at the 10* mark when the light flashes. My battery is on the same side as my #1 cylinder, guessing I shouldn't worry about using #4 instead?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by LiveIt!
My battery is on the same side as my #1 cylinder, guessing I shouldn't worry about using #4 instead?

Thanks
Whichever way works best for you. IIRC, need to stand on the drivers side to see the timing tab.

RBob.