Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Random voltage/charging loss

Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Random voltage/charging loss

Hey guys, I'm dealing with this seemingly random problem where sometimes my car won't charge at a full 13 volts.

On my beloved 1988 Camaro, 2.8 liters of raw tire burning power.
Alternator replaced About 2,000 miles ago.

This started around Halloween, my car died at an intersection, fire right back up, and I limped her home. This looked like it was a loose connection to battery (PO hackjob, the wire that runs to the junction box.) Fixed this with new battery connector and also fixed loose connection at junction box.

Car hasn't left me stranded since, but will has this problem at random. May act like she's going to die at a light, but usually it's just the volt gauge reading right below 13 or lower than that. The gauge has to be at least slightly accurate, as when I was having that problem at Halloween the gauge would dip when you hit the brakes, and you could stall the call if you hit them hard enough in park.

When the car's showing below 13 volts, and especially when showing 10, she'll act like she's about to die when you shift into park.

I'm sure that all happens when you're showing low volts, but more about the problem: It thankfully only occasionally happens, the last time I noticed was the other night after firing the car up while still warm. Stay right under 13 and at worse 10. I noticed however when I made a hard right turn onto a road, the gauge went back up to it's normal position at 13.

Fire the car up this morning in 42 degree weather, fires right up and shows an AWESOME 14.4/15 volts. Go for a drive, by time I reach my destination the gauge is at it's usual 13.

Does anyone have any insight? My alt is new, connections are checked, is there anything else I can check? What could be causing this, especially heat or sharp turn related? My alt is new and connections are tight, the only thing I can think is if my battery is failing. It was new when I bought the car 1 year ago, but did go suffer through many starting attempts while I was trying to get the car running.

Any ideas or advice is really appreciated guys
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: Random voltage/charging loss

Do youhave a multimeter ? Any cheapo one will do ? Whats the battery resting voltage ?

Search this Thread