V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: I drive trans am. Duh
Engine: Yes, I have one in the trans am
Transmission: I have one of those too In trans am
Axle/Gears: In the rear of trans am
Phoenix

So I figured it is time to start my thread. And how I ended up with this car...
A few months back after my t/a was burnt down I had to have another car. I found a bucket on offer up for 800 bucks. A '6 non t-top and no goodies. Talking back and forth with the guy, he tells me how he can see I am a bird fan, that I know what they are worth. But telling him that it's a base car he went down to six bills. I told him him I just could not do that. That every panel had a dent, non t top, it was a v6, the exhaust was broken off, and the interior was all trashed. Not only this but I proceeded to tell the guy that some one was doing drugs in it and it was not coke. You could tell they were on that blue meth and there was ash everywhere. So we agree on 300 bucks and I took possession of the vehicle. At that time there was no keys.
Fast forward a bit, I really missed my t tops. I found a member here in the forum that was parting out a bird and I bought a trailer full of parts from him. Including the t top. There was none to be had here in Vegas. Not only that but the cars don't change out much here. Sometimes seems like twice a year. The glass I eventually found here over time and when I got the last one it was time to chop the top off. The neighbors thought I was nuts and one came over to lend a hand and watch as it was nothing he had ever seen. I still have clean up work to do on it. But I'll finish another day. I also need to get more pictures.
I decided to get another bumper as this one was trashed as was almost everything else. And hey, I'm saving a third gen. Plus I am and '80s kid. I love watching the show and had all the toys. I have had a few cars(6) and one formula that was converted many years ago that was wrecked that was sold over seas. I miss that car. It was my love, I had so much time into it, I was never the same when it went. And I was always looking for another bird at the right price. At this stage in the game the bumper cost more then the car and insurance.
I've done the usual stuff. Sensors and plugs maf and what not.
And now I am on the quest for more power. I need more for it to at lest get out of its own way. I have been over seas, done quite a bit with my life, had a shop for a time. I loved racing when I was younger in another life. So it was time for turbo....

Last edited by HellHound; 05-30-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:09 PM

Re: Phoenix

The turbo I picked up for 50. I already had the turbo parts including the rebuild. I think at this time I am 150 or so into it. It is running but I have a few other things to still get done. No boost as of yet.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:20 PM

So I went out to the yard today. My starter is sounding funny. So I grab one of those. Also went after some injectors. Not much to find out here. I did however grab some from a lt1 caprice. Back in the old days we would cut the caps off to get more out of the injectors. And that was a good bump. I'll try one and if it works I may send them out for flow test. I'll need to know what they are pumping. Does anyone know if the injectors are high impedance or low? What about our cars? I dont see much online. Some older cars have a resister box and you would bypass that for high impedance resistors. Some cars the resistors were in the ECU.
I also got my dash in. I may test fit later
Old 06-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5

Good save ! Glad your having fun sorting it as you like
Old 08-29-2018, 03:04 PM

It has been a min, since an update. But Ive had alot going on.
had a few problems that came up. Fpr blew out trying to figure out which was the in line, and which was the out. Oh well, learned something new. got alot of the little things done, and went a few weeks with out stuff blowing up, or taking a crap on me.
I am boosted. I need to redo the charge pipe. I am using an fmu at this time. Tune soon to come.
boost was rolling out to nine pounds, dropped in the 5psi spring and rework the pressure lines and now wont go over the 5psi. Damn thing was a missile. I have a waste gate boost controller some where, but i may go to something else. Also looking at those co2 controllers.
I put in some new mounts, and an aluminum drive shaft from ty92z. It seems to be running good, and I need to redo the pipe for the wideband. I am also on the hunt for a biger intercooler. so far at this time i am into this around 300 bucks or so in boosting it. roughly. Lets say $400 with all the little things.
I got sick of looking at the top welds, so I knocked those off. need to finish up a few thigs there. i am thinking on a wide body. not in a kit form, and I dont want glass, so I may make what I need, or chop the t/a for the parts to do it. A slice at the start of the quarter where it bows out, a slice going up in the middle and one going all the way down on the car on the top edge of the quarter. Ill chalk it out later and post a pic. i figure it should take a day each side, or so. its an all in, so no going back once started. just like the t-top.
I am also looking at wheels, Ill have to figure out something there. I am not sure what as of yet.
I also need to get the rear done. I think the rear end is holding me back. and non posi kills it. I am also on the hunt for a tube k member. and ive been thinking on tubing out the fenderwells. it will get me more room.

I had an idea on the exaust mani's, and just flip them over, driver to passenger, and vise virsa. the pipes would be up and out under the hood, not onder the k member. dont know if ill make headers or not, that remains to be seen on what I plan to do engine wise.

So, next choice is in the ecu. which one should I go for? I have a 7302, there is a 165 at the house. looking at what are my options, as I need to order parts for it for chipping/tune. Id like to get away from maf, but honestly I could care less. it dont bother me. everything I am used to is map based. 12 pouds will be fine with me. That nine was nuts. The front of the car picked up. Not wheels in the air, but it really had some go.
Alos there is the problem of where the psi drops off, and like, lets say coming to a stop. was in boost, psi drop, and car wants to die. I had to turn up the idle so the engine will catch itself. other then this, the response to boost from this engine has been great. You can tell there is a craving for it. Not all engines are like this, and best guess is it is tired and some gentle boost has given it a lil more go. idk how much it will take, and i dont think ill push it too much.
Ive been thinking on a '60 out of a fouth gen. but everyone wants too much for one. an 8 may go in at some point, unless that gn engine pops back up. but we will see.
ill get up pictures later.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:28 PM

Still need to figure out ecu. this is going to be my next big step I think. I have the two 165, one is the 8259. there is 808 code on here to convert 165 to map, but you use, I think think it was the 730 or 749 prom with knock board. Will this work for my boost plans? I am not sure what I should be going with. Is there a write up to swap right over to a 730 OR 749 with out the 165 middle man? if I go with the 165 for the time being, what else needs to be done? do I have to swap to a v8 maf or can I use my stock stuff and keep rolling till I swap again?