2.8 to 3.4 Engine Swap. Help needed. - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > V6
Reload this Page >

2.8 to 3.4 Engine Swap. Help needed.

V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:18 PM

Well, it's been awhile since I posted on here. My 2.8 had racked up over 600k miles on it and was losing compression and therefore power. After much contemplation, I decided to do the 3.4 swap boogie. I was actually surprised at how good my old engine looked as I disassembled it. I started in June, but I'm only able to work on it about 5 or 6 hours a week due to other obligations.

Note: I have a 1984 Firebird with a carb.

After much trouble, I got everything in and was ready to crank the new engine. However, it won't... This is my first engine swap, so maybe I'm missing something obvious. When I try to crank it, it sounds like it wants to start, but then puffs and flames shoot out of the carb. I definitely have fuel and spark, both tested independently and verified by the flames. I put the distributor in on #1 TDC, but I haven't been able to set the timing exactly since it won't crank. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Re: 2.8 to 3.4 Engine Swap. Help needed.

Originally Posted by Liboicl View Post
Well, it's been awhile since I posted on here. My 2.8 had racked up over 600k miles on it and was losing compression and therefore power. After much contemplation, I decided to do the 3.4 swap boogie. I was actually surprised at how good my old engine looked as I disassembled it. I started in June, but I'm only able to work on it about 5 or 6 hours a week due to other obligations.

Note: I have a 1984 Firebird with a carb.

After much trouble, I got everything in and was ready to crank the new engine. However, it won't... This is my first engine swap, so maybe I'm missing something obvious. When I try to crank it, it sounds like it wants to start, but then puffs and flames shoot out of the carb. I definitely have fuel and spark, both tested independently and verified by the flames. I put the distributor in on #1 TDC, but I haven't been able to set the timing exactly since it won't crank. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sounds like your 180 degrees off on your distributor timing . Remember , for each complete cycle , the piston is actually at TDC twice , once on the compression stroke and once on the exhaust stroke . If your timed on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke the classic telltale is exactly what you describe "puffs and flames shoot out of the carb" and an engine that won't run .

Bottom line = make sure your timed to the compression and not the exhaust stroke .....
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 PM

Did you disconnect the timing wire? Happened to me once I forgot to disconnect.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Sounds like your 180 degrees off on your distributor timing . Remember , for each complete cycle , the piston is actually at TDC twice , once on the compression stroke and once on the exhaust stroke . If your timed on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke the classic telltale is exactly what you describe "puffs and flames shoot out of the carb" and an engine that won't run .

Bottom line = make sure your timed to the compression and not the exhaust stroke .....
I was very careful with that. I had the valve cover off to watch for them both to close and had my finger over the hole with the spark plug out and had it blown off the hole. Even still, I had tried flipping it 180 degrees to see and it doesn't shoot flames, but it doesn't even sound like it tries to start. It just turns over repeatedly.

Originally Posted by maroe624 View Post
Did you disconnect the timing wire? Happened to me once I forgot to disconnect.
I'm not sure, but I don't think this applies. I should disconnect it to crank it? I can understand doing that if I'm setting timing, but on the first crank?
Old 09-15-2018, 01:41 AM

Yeah, disconnecting the bypass wire doesn't apply to a carb'd car...

Since you say you're on compression stroke...

What firing order are you using, and which way around the cap are you going when connecting the cylinders in order?
Old 09-15-2018, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
Yeah, disconnecting the bypass wire doesn't apply to a carb'd car...

Since you say you're on compression stroke...

What firing order are you using, and which way around the cap are you going when connecting the cylinders in order?
Clockwise:165432
Counter:123456
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 PM

As I suspected, you're not using the correct firing order... (That firing order is for a 4.3...)

The firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, yes, really, it's 1-2-3-4-5-6. IIRC the dizzy rotates clockwise (I've had DIS for far longer than I had a dizzy equipped 60 degree V6...)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:23 PM

Well, I looked it up when I was putting it back on and found this image on Google search https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ml#post4815656, but after reading the forum post, and looking closer, it seems that was for a different engine. Hmm. Well, I won't get to mess with it for a couple of weeks, but I sure hope that fixes it. I should pay more attention sometimes.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:54 PM

I finally got to work on it. Well, there's no more fire out of the carb, but it still won't start. It sounds like it's trying to. You can hear the combustion, but it just turns a little and then stops. It'll repeat the same combustion noise and turn a little as long as I hold the ignition, but it never starts. Any suggestions? I feel like I'm tapped out of ideas.