Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?

Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?

What's up guys!?

Mark from 6LE is going to be producing his new "IROC" wheel, designed for his 6th generation IROC concept car, but sized for our thirdgen platform. I know a few of us have been in contact with him, but I'll speak only for myself with regard what's been discussed. Long story short, they were initially only going to be offered (for us) in 4th gen sizes, I emailed Mark, expressed interest but not in those sizes, and he replied what size would you make them? ...and we've been emailing back and forth all week!

I've been cryptically asking wheel fitment questions all week, as to avoid a too many chefs situation, but I suppose an open forum is ultimately what's best. Guys, Mark (and myself) would really appreciate any positive input, or thought and feelings on the matter. Nothing is set in stone yet, but hopefully production will begin very soon.

Originally, they were going to offered in fourth gen sizing. I believe they still are, but he also wants to offer thirdgen sizes. 4th gen sizing is 9.5" x 18 - 40mm offset up front and 10.5" x 18 - 50mm in back. Let's address all three dimensions:
Diameter. I personally prefer 17". I feel 18" would offer more tire choices, and is almost the norm nowadays, even for our cars. I can afford to offer my personal opinion, but Mark has to make a business decision, and I/we cancertainly understand that. I've asked him a few times about diameter, and he hasn't addressed it with me. Again, my vote is 17", but my feeling is that they'll be offered only in 18", which, again personally I'm ok with.
Offset Guys, you've seen the questions I've been asking. I've researched practically every wheel that is offered for our cars, I have searched TGO for different fitments, clearance issues, brake and suspension issues, and what my NON-professional assessment is, -is that a 0mm offset on all four wheels, just like the Ronal/Firehawk wheels is probably the all around best option. These will obviously NOT be made to order - per customer like a custom set of Boze or Forgelines (etc. etc.) . Firehawks are obviously very popular, they fit well on MANY different thirdgens, and there are no issues that I have found. Yes, many people are running .25" spacers up front being a 17" wheel. Pushing them out with offset would also push them out in the back (unless the set was offered like factory with different offsets). THOUGHTS???? FWIW, the replica 85-87 Iroc wheels are also offered with 0mm offset. They're popular, look good and many people are running them with no issues. (albeit in an 8" width).
Width Originally Mark was going to offer them with a 10.5 width. My opinion on that is that it's too wide to be considered a universal thirdgen application. Obviously some of you will want that width. Obviously some of you are already using that width and like it. Same can be said for the Iroc replicas offered in 8" width. -SOME people prefer the 8" width for various reasons, AND...it helps fit other GM platforms. What Mark is going for is the best "overall" size for most thirdgen owners, but NOT necessarily for other GM platforms.
My opinion? A 275 tire on 9.5" inch rim offers a square set up so you can run the same wheel/tire on each corner. It FITS on each corner. No modifications are required on the INNER rear fender, yet they don't protrude too far out either.

From what I can see, from YOU guys here on TGO, the questions that we ask, the custom wheels we order from some manufacturers and the other "cast" wheel offerings from others offered in "one size only", my suggestion to Mark would be to offer:

4 identical wheels. 17" or 18" - 9.5" wide with a 0mm offset.

Guys I want your ideas, thoughts, opinions and comments. Let me know your personal opinion on fit. Let me know if you think your personal opinion differs from what you'd offer if you were offering these wheels for sale. Example being diameter. Personally I'd prefer 17". Maybe that's not a popular opinion. MAYBE, you guys agree, and we can get in 17". That's the point of this thread. What do YOU guys think??? I'm going to invite Mark to check in on this thread, but I'll most certainly pass along any thoughts and ideas you have.

Thanks
-Boob (Chris)

Last edited by Abubaca; 11-18-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: LSA
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: TNT 8.8 wavetrac 3.73
Re: New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?

I would want 17x9.5 cause that's whats on my car now plus tires are a lot cheaper then 18''. I don't see a need for anything wider then 9.5'' unless its mostly a track car or just for looks I'm about 500whp now and run 275/40/17 nitto 555s and I hook pretty well but will be going to toyo r888 with these new Iroc wheels.

I'm sick of having to run big spacers on my car its a pain everytime I go for inspection. We need to pull together and nail down 1-2 wheel sizes and get this done the 4th gen guys are already are getting there wheels built right now.

Abubaca has Mark gave you a idea on pricing yet?
Attached Thumbnails New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?-iroc-factory-size-3.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 11-18-2017, 12:29 PM

I'm sick of having to run big spacers on my car its a pain everytime I go for inspection. We need to pull together and nail down 1-2 wheel sizes and get this done the 4th gen guys are already are getting there wheels built right now.
I'm fairly certain the "thirdgen" wheels will have the proper offsets, NOT fourthgen offsets. Part of this thread is to hopefully get some input on exactly what that should be. As I've said, per other wheels I've seen. I'm thinking 0mm all around.

Abubaca has Mark gave you a idea on pricing yet?
The 5th/6th gen and 4th gen options are both listed as $1600 per set, with a sale price of $1400. -as listed on the website. The "first batch" of these I believe are available now at 30% off of that price. Beyond that, I don't know, but I'd think thirdgen prices would be the same if not similar.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:43 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

I prefer 1/4 to 1/2 inch more backspacing than most people because I like the tires tucked a little bit. 17 inch tire options are drying up and the only tire size worth talking about is a 275/40-17. That puts you in a 17 x 9.5 wheel with about 5.5 backspacing. That works easily enough at the rear axle but the front is more finicky about what fits. Some people have stock brakes, some people have aftermarket brakes that push the wheel further out, some have the 1LE spindles, and clearance to tie rod can change depending on what brand parts are used and diameter of the wheel barrel. With the popularity of big brake upgrades some people can't even use a 17 inch wheel. A 17x9 with 5.0 or 5.25 backspacing is a safe bet up front but that matches better to a 255 width tire.

18 inch wheel has better potential for a universal fit but the cost of tires is much more. And even though there may be quite a few tire size choices now, those choices will dry up too. Best long term choice is to settle on a tire size common to Corvette or BMW and use a wheel width optimized for that tire size.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:53 PM
COTM Editor

By the way, just for reference I have 17 x 9 with 5.25 backspacing on all four corners of my car. Front is a perfect fit with C6 Corvette brakes. The rear stick out a little too far for my liking with a Strange 12 bolt. It would have worked better with a 5.5 inch backspacing in the back. Any extra wheel width would have to go inboard (more backspacing).
Old 11-18-2017, 03:27 PM

I prefer 1/4 to 1/2 inch more backspacing than most people because I like the tires tucked a little bit.
I agree with that. Definitely don't like em sticking out too far. That being said, the reason I like the 0mm offset of the Firehawks is that is seems to be a good size for a set of four identical wheels.

...that being said, a little more offset would tuck the rears in a little more, and also (if you add a spacer) potentially offer clearance for some of the larger brake options, correct?

Ultimately there is no one size fits all with cars this old. The guys with stock brakes, and stock suspension and stock rear ends, ultimately are probably NOT looking to get new wheels! ...and the rest of us? -man there are SO many different combination, it's tricky. Even the Firehawk can fall back on the idea thatthis is what was original on the 91/92 cars. If you don't like it, too bad! ...trying to pick a "best" size, with no real limitations is tricky.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I would say 18 x 10" with 5.75" BS.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Paul, you certainly know your stuff. Can I ask why you'd suggest that? Does 10" over 9.5" make a real difference? ....and 5.75" BS translates (for the sake of conversation) to about 19mm offset. Why not 0mm?

Can I take shot before you answer? 10" gives you slightly more room for a larger tire if you want? ....and 5.75 backspace gives you the extra room INSIDE the fender, given that 5.85 would be about the max without modding the inner fender? If I'm totally wrong, please let me know, lol!!!!!!

You'd have to run a spacer up front, right? .75"?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:28 AM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
No offense, but I don't like where you position your CTW wheels. They are so far outboard that it looks a little quirky, especially cars without ground effects.

If I had an 18 x 10" wheel on my car then I would use 6.25" to 6.5" backspacing on the rear (whatever it takes to clear inside). Never really measured out the front to know exactly what I would do there. Again, those are for my car of which nothing is stock.
The following users liked this post:
IROCThe5.7L (08-12-2021)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: LS2
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt 3.27

I had PM'd Chris, but wanted to share here.

Although I like the look of 17's on our cars, I understand the 18's are more practical for tire sizes and brake clearances. I also see the benefit of being able to rotate, and the performance benefit of having equal tire sizes front to back.

I really like the look of the new 6LE Iroc wheels, so I spent the morning searching for information. Justin86formy and VincentZ28 are running 18s and they look really nice. VincentZ28 is running an 18x9.5 with 6 inch BS and 275-35 on the front and a 285-35 in the rear. Justin had an 18x10 with 6 inch BS on all 4 corners, and mentioned very small interference on one side with a stock dana44. If we are limited to one wheel, I'd vote to maximize the BS for the rear to keep things slightly tucked. For those of us that have bigger brakes that increase the front track width (I'm about +.5 on my C4HD) things may work without spacers, those with stock track width may need to add a thin spacer, but that's much better in my opinion than the wheels sticking out of the car.

I'm torn on 9.5 vs 10 wheel widths, but prefer a wider tire/narrower wheel than a tire that is stretched onto a wheel that is too wide.

Hopefully we can get more with first hand experience to respond with their thoughts and pics.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:42 AM

QwikTrip - I believe the most backspacing you can run is about 5.85", which is why I'm guessing paul mentions 5.75" with a hair of wiggle room.

1) Guys, so assuming we can go with 2 size wheels, a front and a back, I'm hearing as much backspacing as possible, right? We can debate the final number later, but across the board it seams we like that tire tucking in, right?

2)If we CAN have two size wheels, would you still go 10' up front? -and at what offset?

3)If we HAVE to have a one size wheel for all four corners, you still want that backspacing for the back, and then run spacers up front????

Last, I'll pitch ANY ideas you have, but from what Mark is saying, I think he's pretty set on 18" diameter. I'd really welcome more feedback on the previous two questions regarding offset.

I appreciate the feedback thus far.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Daren, thanks for the PM, and thanks for posting up your what you've found.

thanks.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:16 PM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by krayende
I'm torn on 9.5 vs 10 wheel widths, but prefer a wider tire/narrower wheel than a tire that is stretched onto a wheel that is too wide
Opposite. Low profile tires work better when the rim width is on the max side. That is true for handling tires and for drag radials.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:30 PM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by Abubaca
QwikTrip - I believe the most backspacing you can run is about 5.85", which is why I'm guessing paul mentions 5.75" with a hair of wiggle room.
When you're dealing with wheels in the 10" range you might have to start making room inboard. That's the story most people aren't telling you. That's why these guys are running 30 series and 35 series tires because it keeps the rubber real tight to the rim for every little bit of clearance possible. OE cars with wheels of that size have tires an inch or more larger in diameter than what we're talking about.

Also, keep in mind the wheels won't look the same in 17" and 18" sizes because the length/width ratio of the spoke will be different. That particular wheel will look better in an 18" style because the spoke will appear to be longer & thinner, which is the intent of the design. Heck, you might not even like the 18's when you see them for the first time because you're probably referencing pictures of a 20" inch wheel or something like that.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 11-19-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I'm not a big fan of the look of these new 6LE IROC wheels and with the price point that these would be set at I think I would be more interested in one of the IROC replica wheels in an 18 x 8 and then have it widened like a few past members have done. I was really hoping for more of an IROC replica and these are more of an "IROC" wheel for a new generation. But I am the new generation, what gives!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM
COTM Editor

Maybe a future project could be a '91-'92 Firehawk style wheel with a barrel large enough to clear modern brakes.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

We had to put them flush with the wheel well so the tie rods wouldn't interfere with the wheel barrels - no different for the Ronals which are about 1/4" more BS.

The real issue with the look on 3rd gens is the "tuck under" look of the sides of the car - very late 70's/early 80's design. Look at a 4th gen or anything newer and the door from the moulding down to the ground is almost a straight line and hides the tires much better looking from the front or rear.

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
No offense, but I don't like where you position your CTW wheels. They are so far outboard that it looks a little quirky, especially cars without ground effects.

If I had an 18 x 10" wheel on my car then I would use 6.25" to 6.5" backspacing on the rear (whatever it takes to clear inside). Never really measured out the front to know exactly what I would do there. Again, those are for my car of which nothing is stock.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

I've gone by the idea that you want wheels around 0.5" to 1.0" narrower than the tire section width for ideal performance. So a 255 tire (10.06" section width) would be perfect on a 9" wheel. A 275 would be about perfect on a 10" wheel - although clearance issues force a 9.5" wide wheel on the front of a 3rd gen when using 17" wheels.

275 would not be stretched on a 10" wheel - maybe just a little bit on an 11" (actual 275 tire section width). Now if you put a 245 on a 10" wide wheel, that would be a sidewall stretch situation.

Originally Posted by krayende
I'm torn on 9.5 vs 10 wheel widths, but prefer a wider tire/narrower wheel than a tire that is stretched onto a wheel that is too wide.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Unless you want to use every mm of space to fit as large a tire as possible, go the same size wheels and tires on all 4 corners - easy rotation and keeps the tire from understeering due to tire stagger.

That said a 275 tire is a great starting point - 285 and 295 fit with the right BS on the right wheel too.

It is not cost effective for most manufacturers to make 2 different offset sizes for the same size wheel for a lower pricepoint wheel. We won't do it and even Hawks showed that their 17" GTA wheel is a universal fit situation with color being the only option.

1) Guys, so assuming we can go with 2 size wheels, a front and a back, I'm hearing as much backspacing as possible, right? We can debate the final number later, but across the board it seams we like that tire tucking in, right?

2)If we CAN have two size wheels, would you still go 10' up front? -and at what offset?

3)If we HAVE to have a one size wheel for all four corners, you still want that backspacing for the back, and then run spacers up front????

Last, I'll pitch ANY ideas you have, but from what Mark is saying, I think he's pretty set on 18" diameter. I'd really welcome more feedback on the previous two questions regarding offset.

I appreciate the feedback thus far.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Paul, I completely agree with you on the one wheel size. I mentioned that a few times, but I just wanted to be thorough in our discussion, and include the possibility of a staggered set. Again, I think one wheel size is the way to go.

...and just to be clear, I have no affiliation with 6LE, I'm just trying to be a go between point and provide all ideas, thoughts, and opinions.

I'm not a big fan of the look of these new 6LE IROC wheels and with the price point that these would be set at I think I would be more interested in one of the IROC replica wheels in an 18 x 8 and then have it widened like a few past members have done. I was really hoping for more of an IROC replica and these are more of an "IROC" wheel for a new generation. But I am the new generation, what gives!
Well at the end of the day, theyweren't ever designed to be "similar" or a replica. It was more of an "inspired by" the original. If ya look at the HRE G Code, it was also inspired by....but not a replica of, the original. And try looking at the price of the G Code!!!!!!!! More per wheel than all 4 of the 6LE wheels! ...and while the price of $1600 a set isn't chump change, it isn't really high either. All relative I suppose. ...and while it's not official for OUR wheels, the 4th gen size and the 5th/6th gen size are currently an additional 30% off, which is substantial. I can only imagine we'll get that offer too. That puts it's right in line with most all the other cast wheels.

Last edited by Abubaca; 11-19-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 PM

This is the digital model of the 18" ....final product won't have IROC in the spoke.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 PM

Guys....correcting an error.

Website lists the 5th/6th gen AND 4th gen sizes as $1800, on sale now for $1600. I cannot confirm any additional discount, although I DO believe there IS one. ....will keep you updated. Don't wanna spread mis-info.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Seen this pic on Facebook today must be for the 4th gen guys but they look killer.
Attached Thumbnails New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?-23845899_10211990523972074_7222379353656789754_o.jpg  
Old 11-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Kind of bummed that we have to miss out on the 30% off sale. So what the final size looking like 18x9.5?
Attached Thumbnails New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?-23632326_1960786443935875_6156189281513488097_o.jpg  
Old 11-22-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-VERT
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Been reading through this whole topic and it’s getting way to complicated! I say let’s stick with an 18 inch wheel with ZERO offset. Something that’ll bolt right up without spacers. My only issue would be the width.. I don’t want any rubbing up front. I currently run an 18x9 Rev classic wheel with no problems at all( 245 40 tire tho?) If an 18x9.5 on all fours would be the same fitment than definitely count me in for set ASAP!!!
Old 11-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

Agreed the main goal should be 4 wheels no spacers.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 PM

We may still get the 30 percent. I just dont have official word that it'll be available so i didnt want to offer it. ...my guess is that we'll get it.

Last edited by Abubaca; 11-22-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

I've spent all year looking for affordable IROC replicas in an 18x9 to 18x10 and it's been hard to find because I hate the black or chrome look that most of today's rims have.
I'd love a set of these with the grey insert, polished lip and polished spoke outlines. The only thing, in my opinion, that could make it better is to have machined areas instead of polished, but I know this is about size, so my vote is for 18 inch diameter and width from 9-10.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM

Some guys seem to prefer a little offset to tuck the backs in a little more. Some are liking the "0" offset all around to allow for no spacers front or back. If we DO add some offset to give us 5.5 or 6 (just ballparking), this would mean we WOULD need a spacer up front right? Just looking for facts on the matter, not necessarily giving my opinion.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

I'm fine if there needs to be a 1/4'' spacer used in the front to clear brakes or just to push it out I'm feeling a 5.5'' bs on a 9.5 wide wheel will be the best option. I might go pull off my wheels soon just to measure bs so I can have a better idea for sure.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:43 AM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: LS2
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt 3.27

We should be able to tuck an 18x10 if we get the back spacing right (Shouldnt be a problem if we get to choose!). if we are limited to a single wheel, and we want the benefits of the additional width, I think we're looking at a 6 inch back spacing to keep a tucked look. This may require a small spacer on the front, just depends on what everyone is running for brakes.

I'm working off an iPhone this morning, but check out the thread of below for pics and relevant info. I've sent a note to VincentZ28 to confirm wheel width, but he has already confirmed no fit issues with his setup on the front or rear (275-35-18 in front, 285-35-18 in rear). I'm hoping others will post with their experience and pictures.

I think the main variables for people are front brakes, rear width, and lowering. Front brake setups I have seen are either stock, or up to .55 inches wider (Any additional width works to eliminate the difference in front and rear offset of our stock wheels). Most are either running or stock width rears, or 4th gens. If we design our wheel for the stock third gen width, those with 4th gen rears may be able to use the already released 4th gen 6LE new Iroc wheel (Please verify this for yourselves). Many of us have lowered our cars, but as long as we have an adjustable panhard rod we can re-center the rear to have equal clearance.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/whee...k-spacing.html

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

As far as fitting a market, try and look at the width in terms of available tires and the offset in terms of the car(s) they will fit.

If 285/40R18 is the most common perf. tire that will fit the car (because it is used by a Vette model and some BMW models like someone said, then look at the wheel widths recommended by tire mfgrs. Possibly 9.0 to 11.00 recommended. I made those numbers up, but you want to be in the middle of the road of those width options, generally speaking.

Hitting the offset options, you might end up with a wheel that is a tiny bit inboard with stock brakes and a tiny bit flush with the added width of a brake upgrade. Like mentioned, if only one overall size option is going to be made, try to fit both. While I would love a wheel that could have the hub machined for more offset and would be willing to run the studs to let that work, it's better to be universal.

Looks like a nice wheel option. I would like to see a zero offset option in 18s.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I would like to see an 18" wheel that will bolt up to the stock brakes with no spacers. After that, it will fit all other brake upgrades.

I have a set of original Ronals and 1LE brakes. I still have to run a spacer, which is disappointing as the barrel hits the tie rod end (just barely).

I like the 18", as it eliminates the tie rod end being an issue, plus allows for a lot of brake options. Also the tire market is drifting away from the 17's, just as it has for the 16's. I prefer the price point of the 17's, but prefer the selection in the 18's.

I want to be able to rotate the wheels from front to rear to maximize tire life.

I understand the desire to get as much tire under the car as possible, but I feel that will limit the audience for the wheels in general. There will always be compromises, albeit a spacer, backspacing, width, etc.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 PM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
I would like to see an 18" wheel that will bolt up to the stock brakes with no spacers. After that, it will fit all other brake upgrades.
It needs to be the other way around. Make the wheel a bolt-on for wider track width (modern brake retrofits) and then folks with stock brakes can use a thin spacer.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Stock brakes fitting without spacers is by no means an indicator that aftermarket brake kits will fit.

There are two types of brake to wheel clearance problems:

1) The caliper hits the wheel barrel. In other words, the wheel barrel is too small for the brake kit.

2) The face of the caliper hits the rear of the wheel spokes. In other words, the pad height is wrong for the brake kit used. Sometimes a spacer will make it clear.

I've said it before, but the Hawks GTA wheels are merely a 1" larger and wider version of the cross lace TA/GTA OEM stuff. But the caliper face to rear of the spokes is the issue - pad height is too low to fit any decent kits - even if they clear inside the barrels. Ronals are just as bad - but they do clear the Firehawk Brembos - but not too many modern kits.

I'm biased as a wheel manufacturer - but we also did our homework on clearing aftermarket brake systems among other important items. Truth is that 99% of thirdgens (even actual race cars) would perform perfectly with a 13" 4 piston caliper and a 2pc rotor under even the most harsh racing conditions - most 17" wheels (OEM and Aftermarket) will accommodate these kits. When you go for looks and want the 14" or larger rotors and have to go 18" or larger wheels - then you run out of options for the 3rd gens.

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: H/C/I/E LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I'm runnin 18's, 8.5 in front and 10.5 in back. They're C6 replicas with spacers.

I LOVE these 6LE wheels. These sizes to me are perfect. I would like to get rid if the spacers and have the wheels tucked as much as possible without having to clearance anything other than the already rolled lips.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

Digging the wheel would have to agree with Paul 10 wide is way to go

As far as brakes I think running a small slip on isn't deal breaker but wheel track is different front to rear with stock components and with brake upgrades adjust the front track slightly

You have to take into account all brake upgrades available basing it off stock like Paul said isn't good idea Imo as well

Are they building these wheels or this all speculation
Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 AM

They are definitely maki g them for 5th/6th gens and for 4th gens. The unofficial word is that theyre making them for us too....hence this conversation. Im supposed to talk to Mark again here soon and ill try to nail down some hard facts.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 AM

My feeling is that itll probably be an 18x9.5 since this size is already being made. Mark at 6LE did not directly say this this but thats sorta the feel i got. I hope to be able to ask him about that directly when i have a phone convo with him. I know we are all eager for answers, myself included. Again that is not FACT at this point.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Car: 85 Tojan
Engine: ZZ4
Axle/Gears: 9", 3.50

I'll be in the minority here and say I'd really like to see them in 19". They will look closer to the original design w/ longer spokes. You'll be able to fit any brakes you want. Either 9.5 all around or preferable 8.5's in front , 10 or 10.5 in the rear. Offset fit for people with brake conversions, others can run 1/4" spacers up front.

regardless of diameter
For a stock fit (OE offsets: 0mm front, 16mm rear)

8.5" w/ brake conversion (.33" avg) = 15mm offset.
9.5" w/ brake conversion (.33" avg) = 28mm offset.
9.5" rear = 35mm offset.
10" rear = 41mm offset.
10.5" rear = 48mm offset.

Ref: https://www.customwheeloffset.com/ti...et-calculators
Old 11-24-2017, 02:44 PM

I'll be in the minority here and say I'd really like to see them in 19". They will look closer to the original design w/ longer spokes. You'll be able to fit any brakes you want.
I appreciate the input, but I think that's bigger than most people will want. ..and there will always be bigger brakes out there, requiring the next size wheel, but at some point you reach a point of diminishing returns. I can't imagine needing more brakes than a 18" will fit.

9.5" rear = 35mm offset.
10.5" rear = 48mm offset.
Those sizes are already available (more less) for sale on his site. 40mm front 9.5/50mm rear 10.5
Old 11-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Alright just pulled my wheels off which are 17x9.5 c6 style. I'm getting 7.5'' of back spacing 3.25'' front lip to mounting flange giving total wheel width of 10.75''

So a 18x9.5 wheel with 5.5'' back spacing would be the sweet spot right since we don't need to run 2'' adapters?
Attached Thumbnails New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?-1124171612_film2.jpg   New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?-1124171616_film2.jpg   New IROC wheel from 6LE. What size to make it?-1124171611_film2.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Car: 85 Tojan
Engine: ZZ4
Axle/Gears: 9", 3.50

I appreciate the input, but I think that's bigger than most people will want. ..and there will always be bigger brakes out there, requiring the next size wheel, but at some point you reach a point of diminishing returns. I can't imagine needing more brakes than a 18" will fit.

Those sizes are already available (more less) for sale on his site. 40mm front 9.5/50mm rear 10.5
If we all only got what we needed, we'd have a lot fatter wallets!

Come on, who doesn't want some 15" brembos. My wife's 2015 SS stops hard!
Old 11-24-2017, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tojan19
True, but there is no fun in that.

Originally Posted by tojan19
Come on, who doesn't want some 15" brembos. My wife's 2015 SS stops hard!
When you have a performance car that weighs as much as an SUV, you need that size brakes. But a 3rd gen with a 13" 4 piston brakes on a 275 tire will outstop it all day in the dry - even without ABS. Tires limit stopping (front tires), not the rotor size and # of caliper pistons...
Old 11-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Amen to THAT!!!!!! I tell my wife all the time that if I won the lottery and built my perfect car, a month later I'd have a list of stuff to do on the car!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 PM

Guys, I spoke with Mark for quite awhile this evening and we went over all kinds of stuff regarding wheels, thirdgens, Iroc races, the aftermarket, and all kinds of cool stuff!

So here goes.

Wheels will be 18" x 9.5" - 13mm offset/5.75" backspacing.
Price is $1120 plus $40 per wheel shipping, so $1280 a set.

*Website will show $1600 per set (before shipping) but if you can't find a promo discount code, or there's no sale running, send Mark and email and tell him you want the discounted sale price. Mark specifically said to say that!

*They will be on the website soon, but you can buy them now. Just email mark.

*The Production method being used is the spun-rim/freeform/rim-rolled not Rick Rolled which is totally different. 6LE is not using that as a selling point per se, but I asked so he told me. In case anyone notices (I did) the actual SEMA car has one off forged rims. The production wheels are not forged.

*Production wheels will NOT have IROC-Z6LE on the spokes like the SEMA car, or most of the concept pictures floating around.

*These wheels ARE being made. They are in production NOW, and should be in the hands of 6LE no later than early January. He did NOT say exactly when customers can expect delivery.

Guys, I'm happy to help out with any additional questions, but as I've mentioned, I'm not actually affiliated with 6LE, and if you have your money in hand ready to buy, but have questions, I'd prefer you go directly to Mark at 6LE. As always though...I'll help where I can.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:49 AM
COTM Editor

Alright, that is going to set the outside of the wheel exactly where my old ROH wheels are.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:29 AM

The diameter and width already had been molded, so unless there was a MAJOR push away from 18"x9.5", that was always gonna be the size. Mark had kinda hinted at that, but he told me directly yesterday.

As for offset/backspacing seems a lot of you guys like a little positive offset, and Mark found the same thing in his reading, so it was actually a pretty short conversation about sizing.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Supreme Member

13mm offset which is 1/2'' on a 9.5'' wheel comes out to be 5.25'' back spacing I'm confused?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:19 AM

I was confused by the numbers too at first.

A 9.5" wheel refers to the actual barrel/rim width. The ACTUAL width, if you were to stretch a tape measure across it is (on average) closer to 10.5", once you consider the lip. Several sources use .5" front and back, for a total of 1" total extra width.

....soooo, the advertised width of these wheels is 9.5" ....however the actual width is 10.5" This drove me CRAZY til someone actually explained it to me!!!!

Search this Thread