Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!
View Poll Results: What to do with my original wheels and tires
Replace 16 inch tires on original wheels.
0%
Store the original 16 inch wheels and tires and purchase reproduction 17 inch wheels and tires.
0%
Replace the 16 inch tires and keep the old dry rotted tires in storage.
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions wanted on original tires/wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Opinions wanted on original tires/wheels

I just purchased a 1989 Camaro Iroc-z in bright blue with beechwood interior, gold decals and wheels. I bought it from the original owner and it only has 30,120 miles. It also has the original dry-rotted tires which obviously need replaced. Which leads me to how I would like to know your opinion on replacing the tires.

Option #1 Find some 16 inch tires that fit these perfect condition wheels.

Option #2 Wait a couple of months and purchase more wheels from Hawk's when they have the reproduction 17' gold Iroc wheels available and buy tires for them. This will add about $1000 to the project.

Option #3 Buy new tires for the original 16 inch wheels and just store these old dry rotted tires for the next owner. Would someone want them? This seems like straddling the fence, and a waste of time, but it's an option.

I usually keep any parts I remove from a car for the next owner in case they want to return it to stock. Would having the original tires on the original wheels stored in my garage for the next owner be a value to you if you were looking to buy it? Is it worth a $1,000 to buy new wheels? Would it add $1000 to the value of the car when I go to sell? For the record I don't plan to sell any time soon, but realize everything gets sold eventually. Also, I plan to use the car for a weekend driver and to cruise nights. Maybe a thousand miles a year, if the use of the vehicle helps you give an opinion. My plan is to keep it as original as possible. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.