V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Frigin clips!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frigin clips!!

I installed the rear view mirror with the map lights. I didn't screw up the headliner like I was affraid of doing but I did f*ck up the plastic clips the hold the plastic pilar cover in place pretty good. I can't figure out how to remove them from a car in a scrap yard with out busting them. So... Does any one know ware I can pick up some new ones?

I also got rear ended a couple of days ago. It was pretty wild ride as I fought like hell to avoid 3 other cars, but the guy behind me couldn't avoid me. There's not a crap load of damage but the bumper cover was torn a little on the right hand side. He cliped just the right rear corner.

Some stupid jerk driving a '84 Camaro cut accross 3 lanes of heavy traffic to try and make it into the left turn lane at the last second. When he figured out that he couldn't make it into the turn lane becuase it was backing up he hit the brake hard so he could make it. This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but he only left about 5 feet between me and him.

I locked up the brakes on a wet road ( I was doing 40MPH, 5 under the limt due to traffic) and the car started sliping left to right and all over the place. I was able to keep it in my lane and avoid rear ending the jerk off, but you should have seen the faces on the drivers to my left and right. :0 <--- best description I could find. When he moved into the turn lane I let off the brake some and I was still rolling slow when I heard the smack and crunch from behind. I quickly began applying the brakes again.

When I got out to see if the guy behind was ok I found that he all ready moved to the side of the road. So I started making way to the A hole in the turn lane ready to beat the holly crap out of him when I heard the CHP yelling at me to get back in my car and get it to the side of the road. I never noticed the CHP just a few cars up. After yelling back to the CHP and pointing at the jerk. He made him pull over too. So it turned out pretty good. The grade A jerk got a ticket for unsafe lane change and ubstruction of traffic!

Now I have to wait 10 days for the CHP report and see who's insurance gets to pay for jack off's inteligent move.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF hit frombehind, 99.9% you know who pays...
BUT
You will now have a "incident to report to the DMV.
WHY your car is damaged with over $500 of property damage.
IT COULD COULD put a point on your record, too.
LET insurance handle it.
The "point" will not tend to affect your insurance preminums, unless you suddnely change insurers.
From one who has been there when a stupid motorcyclist hit me (While riding the white lines at a very high rate of speed in literally dead stopped traffic).
YET CHP said I WAS TO BLAME, as I was in way of his "right of way" travel.
YET my insurance agreed with me that it was was cyclist fault of travel speed to fast for road conditions (dead stopped traffic).
My insurance never went up, even tho I "got" a letter from the DMV of CA.
I never filled out the form nor sent in either. I only turned it all over to 21st Century insurance.
They's good to me.
Oh the Cyclist?
He had NEW BIKE (really)
Cancelled his "full coverage insurance" (he had a full on loan to pay for the bike, too).
That was illegal.
He got bit by my insurance (I don't believe they paid him at all for any of his injuries) & he had to continue to pay for a bike that was now trash. PLUS it was on his record that he was involved in an accident without insurance.
I believe you'll do ok.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:26 AM

Well my insurance company is not doing any thing. They told me to get a copy of the CHP report and contact the other guys insurance company and file a claim through them. My only thought was "what in the hell am I paying them every month for!". I thought that the insurance company was suposed to handle this. This is my first claim, but not my first accident. My first accident was a minor rear ender. It only left a small black mark from the lady's bumper. She rolled into me while I was at a stop sign. It eaisly buffed out in 5 min. The plus side was she is a real esate agent. So I traded not dealing with the insurance company for a favor. She ran all of our money background and gave us a complete break down on what we need to do in order to qualify for a home loan. I say that was worth 5min. of buffing!

I know riding the whit eline is legal, but I belive top speed is only suposed to be 25MPH while in heavy traffic. and riding the white line is legal when traffic is moving 15MPH and slower.

I found out about a wierd traffic law a while back. It is legal for 2 cars to occupy the same lane space (side by side in the same lane). How I found out about it is a long story about me arguing my way out of a ticket and demanding to see the vehicle code that said I couldn't do it. Hey I was late for an Iron Maiden concert what can I say! BTW I got a way with out a ticket.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Very simple how you MAY be able to handle this.
Call back insurance co. (yours).
Try again.
They stone wall ya, ask for their supervisor.
KEEP TAKING NOTES OF DATE/TIME/CONTACT & amount of times you've tried.
After three failures on your current insurance co. part, contact the CA State Insurance Commission and have them assist you in this matter.
That fails, choose your lawyer & have some fun.
YET, if ya go to lawyer stage, be prepared for "stuff".
I had this happen like I said about the cycle hitting me (yes, he was going way faster than 25MPH in dead stopped traffic-ya shoulda seen how far he slid over the THREE LANES OF TRAFFIC! & how banged up a high tech framed cycle looked-don't forget the hugh impression he made in the side of my 1985 S-10 Blazer with NO body damage or rust).
21st Century Insurance stood by me, never raised my rates and told me "this matter is now removed from your hands, we are handling it".
EVEN WHEN THE CHP said I was at fault.
You are 100% CORRECT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YA PAY INSURANCE CO. FOR, to handle matters like this.
Take pics & notes.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Geez, glad you're alright! Glad the car isn't that hurt, either.

As to the pillar clips, yeah, they're a complete bitch; plus, years of the sun cooking them makes them reallly brittle. Here's what I do when I yank the pillar down. I do remove the pillar from the windshield's a-pillar, which is just the normal friction clips that the door panels have. Then I slide the pillar cover "back" along the top of the door, which releases it from the clips.

The GM book says to reinstall the cover, put the cover back along the top of the roof, and slide it forward. Haha, yeah, right. After an hour of that, I came up with a better way. Take a sharp awl (icepick). Pry the clips out of the roof. The clips go into a slot that leaves you enough room for an awl. The clips have an angled .. uh .. shoot, how the hell do I describe this in words?

There's a ">" shaped piece of plastic that's part of the clip. When you push the clip into it's slot, this ">" shaped piece prevents the clip from coming back out. So to remove a clip, pull gently on the clip to start one end of the ">" into the slot. Use the awl from the side to gently (GENTLY!!) bend the ">" so it fits back out thru the slot.

Now slide all those clips into the a-pillar cover. Put the a-pillar cover up to the roof, align the clips with the slots, and push the pillar back against the roof. The clips will snap into the roof, and since you slid them into the pillar cover, the pillar cover will be nice and tight against the roof.

Hopefully GM sells the clips. If not, you might want to try another junkyard, and bring an awl with you. I don't know how common these clips are with GM cars, but if they are, they might be sold in auto stores like Pep Boys/Strauss/AutoZone/etc in the red "Help!" section. I know the "Help!" section sells those screws we use for the hatchback panels- and a few years ago, I bought five of them from the local dealer.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
how to not get points onthe license 101.

pleade not guilty.

never pleade no contest or guilty even if you are.

why, it then goes to a jury tiral, sound likea big deal ut nope.

the prosscuter will talk to you and make a deal, 99% of the time he wil let you just pay the fine and avoid the points. They dont want to really do a trial any more than you do.

the only way to not get points in court is to pleade not guilty, anything else and they must give you points.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:44 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700 R4
Even though I drive a 84 Camaro.....

If this is the clips that you are talking about I got mine from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Frigin clips!!-clip.jpg  
Old 01-11-2003, 11:46 PM

Yup those are the ones! ware did you get 'em?
Old 06-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi
Re: Frigin clips!!

thanks awesome info here
Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Wow, is there a limit to necro-posting on here?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Car: 1986 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

idk but I found a good place for clips

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Default.asp