Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

not that anyone cares, but....another 4th gen dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
not that anyone cares, but....another 4th gen dash

pic number 1
Attached Thumbnails not that anyone cares, but....another 4th gen dash-untitled-1-copy.jpg  
Old 06-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

and another
Attached Thumbnails not that anyone cares, but....another 4th gen dash-rear-dash-copy.jpg  
Old 06-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member

the guages illuminated
Attached Thumbnails not that anyone cares, but....another 4th gen dash-guages.jpg  
Old 06-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

and the automatic console lights, and some of the heater control lights.

All for now.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

forgot about the pic
Attached Thumbnails not that anyone cares, but....another 4th gen dash-centerconsole.jpg  
Old 06-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

if anyone has any questions about the swap that haven't been listed a million times over, feel free to ask....im also thinking of dying the dash black to match the center console, and the rest of the interior to come, but we'll see what i decide. Also, sitting next to the car (which can't be seen) is a new steering wheel, not 4th gen, but one that's definately nicer looking than that old pos.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:20 AM

Car: 1950 Buick Super 8 "led sled", 1995 Chevy Impala "daily driver", 1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V Collecter Series "low rider"
Engine: Buick- Straight 8, Chevy- 330 rhp LT1, Lincoln- 402 ci 4v cleveland
Transmission: Buick- 2 speed "dynaflow", Chevy- 700R4, Lincoln- TCI Bulletproof C6
looks good man you must be a pro at building custom cars. And who ever trimmed your dash pad must really know what they are doing at modifying cars. Anyway just wanted to give you my input and say looks good. OH P.S. everything looks good but your front seats kind of look crappy. You should probally get 4th gen trans am seats that would really set your interior off.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Guess
Engine: Crazy 8
Transmission: So close to being a manual I can taste it
How much did it cost you for the 4th Gen dash? Does any year 4th Gen dash fit? Those questions have probably been asked a zillion times, but I have never read about any 4th Gen dash installs before. I guess it never really interested me before...
Old 06-13-2004, 10:10 AM

Is there any way you could lay your seats all the way back and get a picture from the back of the car looking forward to get a real good look at the dash? Thanks........
Old 06-13-2004, 01:23 PM

Car: 86 "Ram Air" IROC
Engine: 305 5.Slow
Transmission: 700R4
that looks really good and i say just leave the interior gray, it looks nice.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

THREE MAJOR QUESTIONS

Does the heater/ac controls work?

Who the hell did the dash pad for you?

Do all the gauges work?
Old 06-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

nice, needs the doors to look uniform though. i want to know hot to make those a/c-heater controls work....

Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

work down the list.

92Z, the dash cost 80 bux from a local salvage yard, was just about the only dash we could ever find that didn't have airbags that grenaded on a passenger. All the dashes will physically fit in the thirdgen, however, matching the dash you choose to the center console must be observed, or you'll wind up with a 3 - 6 inch gap, this is especially true on the camaro versions. I do have a gap between my center console, and dash, as a result of using a 96 dash, with an 01 console, but sacrifices must be made, and the gap isn't DRASTICALLY noticable.

To War Eagle, ask and you shall recieve

to IrocZ
Interior will be gray...for now....really wanting to do black, especially to match the ebony rear seats i have right now (unfortunately did u know ebony looks more gray then black? ackward how they're more desireable on ebay, i think people are confused) but in the long run, i'd still want black, although it's much easier for me to find leather 4th gen gray seats.

Flyinlow Q for ya, whend you get those wheels, i like em. To ur questions.

No hvac stuff for now, i'll actually be wiring things up w/in the week most likely however , for the Hot/Cold stuff you'll need to bend your factory heater cable to wrap around the 4th gen **** and hook into the wheel on the back, this should allow you to open and close the heater box by twisting the **** which will manually move the cable. I think you get the idea.

Dash pad was cut my EveCustoms in St. Louis, and is a wonderful fit, actually, perfect. Finding a good dash piece however is much more difficult, and removing it is just as challenging, if not more challenging then having it cut to fit (although that can be a chore) When removing the dash pad from a bone yard, it was actually much simpliar (and safer for the pad) to remove the windshield from the vehicle in the yard, this way you can get to all the pad components (some are velcro, some are clips, all stick and hook really really really well "aka, it'll break if you yank it")

As for the guages, all of the smaller ones are working. The cluster is from a 96 Bird, so i've got oil pressure, Engine Temp, Volts, and Fuel. My speedo isn't working yet as i don't have a dakota conversion box and i've got the old cable speedo setup, the tach is alive, however it bounces and is off, thinking that the tach signal from the DIS system might be different than the standard v6 tach signal, going to have to work through that.

And to Kandied (like ur car too, just like flyinlow) neway....Door panels are coming, as a result of not having them, there is the massive gap (for now) and most likely a very short for now. We actually mocked the dash up using a 4th gen door panel, in place of the passenger side 3rd gen panel. Which is how we were able to achieve a correct gap, i think it leaves maybe half an inch or so of play between the dash and the panel (enough to be safe, yet look good), just gotta find a full set of panels, as the one we got wasn't in good condition, but worked perfect for mocking.
Attached Thumbnails not that anyone cares, but....another 4th gen dash-dash.jpg  
Old 06-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

definately interested to see how the pannels come out and i would love to adapt the new heater controls as i'd like to completely relocate them off the dash.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:32 PM

Car: 1950 Buick Super 8 "led sled", 1995 Chevy Impala "daily driver", 1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V Collecter Series "low rider"
Engine: Buick- Straight 8, Chevy- 330 rhp LT1, Lincoln- 402 ci 4v cleveland
Transmission: Buick- 2 speed "dynaflow", Chevy- 700R4, Lincoln- TCI Bulletproof C6
Originally posted by 92 zzz28
How much did it cost you for the 4th Gen dash? Does any year 4th Gen dash fit? Those questions have probably been asked a zillion times, but I have never read about any 4th Gen dash installs before. I guess it never really interested me before...
yes any 4th gen dash will fit in a third gen with minor work.
If you are thinking about getting one for your car, all you need to do is pick the certain year and color dash you like, I guarentee that it will fit into your car, again with minor work.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 85f-bird
Flyinlow Q for ya, whend you get those wheels, i like em. To ur questions.

No hvac stuff for now, i'll actually be wiring things up w/in the week most likely however , for the Hot/Cold stuff you'll need to bend your factory heater cable to wrap around the 4th gen **** and hook into the wheel on the back, this should allow you to open and close the heater box by twisting the **** which will manually move the cable. I think you get the idea.

Dash pad was cut my EveCustoms in St. Louis, and is a wonderful fit, actually, perfect. Finding a good dash piece however is much more difficult, and removing it is just as challenging, if not more challenging then having it cut to fit (although that can be a chore) When removing the dash pad from a bone yard, it was actually much simpliar (and safer for the pad) to remove the windshield from the vehicle in the yard, this way you can get to all the pad components (some are velcro, some are clips, all stick and hook really really really well "aka, it'll break if you yank it")
Take some pictures of how you fabricate the A/C controls would be really interested to see how you make them work.....

Also does that shop make off-the-shelf dashpads that can be sent to customers? Or did you have to take your car there and have them cut to fit?

Thanks for the kind words, I just got the wheels put on about 1 month ago....
Old 06-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Supreme Member

I took the dash and car to Eve for fitting, and i'm not sure about shipping of parts to customers as of yet, however, i also know the difficulty that could be associated with this. The trimmed dash pad isn't nearly as fragile as the original piece, meaning, once the "fat" is taken off of it, the pad seems to be more "rigid, or stirdy" as a result of losing the extra weight, which is associated with it's extreemly long length.

I'll take a look at the HVAC system again, like i said, it seems to be straight forward, but i guess you never know, we'll see what happens.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

I love the looks of that conversion!
I may just have to start looking for fourth gen stuff! I already have the console, so............................!
As for questions, how long did it take you to get this far? Just wondering on the timeframe, as I'm not quite sure that I want my car to be down for such a long period!
NOTE: This is not for my 20th TTA! For a 1991 Firebird w/Sport Appearance Package!

Thanks,

George
Old 06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

the time frame kinda depends, in all truth and honesty, i was really taking my time, and not rushing through it. So, it took me just about a week to get to where i'm at, however, honestly, if you started working on it one morning, and only took breaks for lunch and dinner, and had the ability to work into the night (not to late where u get tired though) and have a frind to assit on the mounting you could probably have it finished in a day, and buttoned up the next morning. Here was my schedule.

Night 1: remove old dash
Day:1 (start) : Finishin removing old dash
Day:1 (cont.) Mount in new Dash
Day:2 make adjustments in dash mounting
Day:3 Begin Wiring Nightmares lol.
Day:4 Make adjustments to Wiring
Day:5 More adjustments for Wiring
Day:6 Permentatly Connect wiring, getting things routed where you want them. Remount Dash in correct location permentatly, plug up guages and hope they're working the way they were supposed to.
Day:7 Clean up your project car, and enjoy the new dash.

A good portion of those days weren't spent out side all day long, as doing all this wiring would have really gotten frustrating, however i never got to that point, as i had things spread so thin, that i barely noticed it, and instead of being frustrated at problems, i was happy every time i got another problem solved.

Doing it to a 91' bird should be really straight forward and simple, as far as wiring, you'll be looking at having your speedometer and tach working on day one (atleast from what i've been told) with your style of VSS.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:05 PM

Car: 86 firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
this is probly a bad/stupid question but im kinda short and i cant see over my dash as it is. Are you able to see over the dash or atleast see the hood???? i have to lean on my center consol to see over my stearing wheel and i leave my lights up so i know where the front of my car is.. ...thats ok tho im a female
Old 06-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

invest in a power seat and just move it up...........if you still can't see then pick up a race seat. their bottoms are taller then stock by almost twice. hook up power then and your good. you'll hit your head before you'll have to lean on a center console.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

well, the mounting holes that were drilled for the dash are actually on the firewall , next to but not in the holes used on the previous dashpad. In other words, with the exception of the bubble in the instrument cluster (which will be higher) the actual mounting point for the dash is the same as where the factory firebird dash is. With the firebird's sloping nose, anyone will lose sight of it eventually, so, i guess that goes for me too, and i'm not necessarily tall, about average male height of 5'10" ish....maybe less, not sure.

I'd also advice in 6 way power seat, and hey, if ya get em, they'll improve the looks of the interior 100 fold also. then you'd have a good excuse to go and do the dash swap.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:27 PM

I noticed a couple of gaps under the dash and between the console and the dash. Is this completely in place or are you still adjusting? I like the overall look but not the openings...
Old 06-14-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 400sb
Transmission: 700r4
how hard was it to pull your 3rd gen dash im in need of one cause mine is cracked
Old 06-14-2004, 07:09 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Does the heater/ac controls work?
I can't answer if his works but, I can tell you that the vacuum diverter matches the way 3rdgens operate with the exception of the 4thgen has a 2-way vac solonoid on the defrost/floor door (this is for the 'blend' mode).
Wiring is a no-brainer if you have a multimeter, pen/paper and 5-10 minutes. You can even go as low-tech as a battery and a 194 light bulb to figure it out.
All this info is pretty much in tpiroc's sticky at the top of this forum.

Not a fan of any of the 4thgen dashes myself but, it looks like it's turning out to be a well done install.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

The all important question

How much did it cost you? How much was the labor from the body shop to do everything?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

yes i agree, i like to see new ideas like this but i definately wouldn't want such a curved dash in such a square car. regardless though i would like to extend my guages and swapping pannels would make for a cleaner install to hide them in my center console which would be worth it....just need to figure out how to get them to the center console and work.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

alright, on to answering all the Q's that have popped up, startin at the top.

War- The gaps under the dash actually shouldn't be there, i hadn't bolted up those bottom pieces yet, aka they're just sitting in place, once they're actually permentatly put in, those gaps won't be there. The ones by the console will most likely be there however, that's because i'm using a 98+ console with a 96 Dash. I had wanted the 98+ Console because it has the 4 cupholders (although the back two are never used, the front two are nice to have). I probably won't be able to clean that up, however, i will be able to tuck it all away, and also, from the sides, or even in the car the gap can't be noticed, the only time it is viewable is from the rear of the car as in that picture.

Z28guy- Pulling the old dash out was pretty straight forward, infact all i did was start taking off screws, and eventually vwalla' no more dash. If all you need is a new pad, then that's even easier, about 8 or 9 screws hold it in, think 5 underneith, and 4 or 5 at teh top i nthe heater duct....real simple....the basic reason i got a new one, is , i could either get on ebay and buy a new pad for 30-40 bux, or buy a new dash from a 4thgen for under 100, and i like "new" things.

Flyinlow- Actually cheaper than i could have ever expected ... it was free!!! Simple reason though, the man who runs the shop is also a friend i've had since i was in pre-school. Think the ones they're doing for customers are around 40-45 , but i might be slightly off on that.

and to Kandied- Can understand where you're coming from on the style of dash. I don't think it looks terribly out of place, and it's definatley helping to complete the look i'm going for, "modern technology-old vehicle" and the 4th gen stuff was definately necessary for it. Also, in a camaro, i personally believe that the early model dash/center console combo is just about the best looking setup available, because of the camaros more "boxy" styling (and who can call any thirdgen "unboxy"?) the dash really flows well, and although it brings together some more curves, it's no where near as dramatic as the firebird's version, which i do think works well with the firebirds more curvign body lines.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:47 AM
Supreme Member

Old 06-15-2004, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 400sb
Transmission: 700r4
nah i need the dash mine the pad i hae is good besides i know where there is a non ac dash sitting in a yard