Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Does the ignition control module control pulse to the injectors?

Old 05-24-2002, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
Engine: Turbo 3.8
Transmission: 200R4
Does the ignition control module control pulse to the injectors?

Tested the injectors at the non-starting condition and they are not getting any pulse. Already changed the pickup and computer and they weren't it.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ESC/EST doesn't have anything to do with injectors

however the engine has to be cranking/running for the injectors to pulse, also you need oil pressure.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:55 PM

Oil pressure has nothing to do with the pulsing of the injectors. There is not an oil level sensor on our engines that goes to the ecm. There is a pressure sender for the gauge and a oil pressure switch for the fuel pump (there has been much debate about this but I think the consensus is that the oil pressure switch is a backup for the FP relay, so it will run without oil pressure). If you didnt get injector pulses without oil pressure, it would take a long time for the engine to fire after an oil change, which it doesnt.

Now on the no injector problem, what computer are you running? Depending on setup causes for no injector pulses at crank could be a VATS fault, a blown injector fuse (there might be 2, one for each bank), a problem with the ignition module "may" cause the injectors to not fire if it isnt recieving the tach signal. I'm not sure on that.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
Engine: Turbo 3.8
Transmission: 200R4
I'm running the stock computer from a 91 LO3. The fact that it only does it sometimes really baffles me. It gets pulse fine. I leave the car for about an hour, parked, and it will not start; wait fifteen minutes and then it will start. It's weird. The mechanic said he didn't know what the problem was. He changed the pickup and computer and it still didn't fix the problem.
Old 05-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Sorry I had fuel pressure on the brain from another post

Either way the injectors wont pulse without cranking.