Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Painting my own car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting my own car...

OK, I know this isn't the greatest idea, but I'm bored and have little to no funds to do anything with my car. So my plan is to sand the factory paint, get some spray paint and spray clear coat and do my own paint job. A friend of mine sprayed the spoiler and hood of his Mustang w/ some krylon and it doesn't look too bad. I just want to get a general idea of what I want it to look like in the spring when i can afford a real paint job.

So what should I use for paint? I know some paints leave it looking dull like primer, and some paints leave at least a little shine. I figure if I use something with a little shine, the clear coat will make it look at least maaco quality.

How many layers of clear should be good? What grit sand paper should I use... or since its just going to be on for the winter should i not even bother with sanding??

We're gonna practice on a Galant he's got sitting dead in his back yard waiting to be towed for a donation, so if its unbelievably ****ty we wont bother. (i'm sure i'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm dead broke and I don't see how it would really hurt anything, hell if i use rustoleum maybe it'll prevent some rust from the upcomming winter)

EDIT: How much paint will I need? I know it depends on how many coats, but how much per coat?

------------------
1986 LG4 Z28
6x9 Alpine's
2 MTX 10's run by 250W MTX amp
Soon to have Hooker Aerochamber cat-back
Soon to have a bra (gag! but the front paint is hurting bad)

[This message has been edited by Jason86Z28 (edited September 17, 2000).]
Old 09-17-2000, 10:07 PM
CG

I just finished my car yesterday, i bought PPG mystic teal the factory color and clearcoat with the necessary clear, reducer, and hardner for the clear. 2 coats of color and 2 coats of clear with an HVLP gun worked great. but the price was scary....
it was $428 for 3 qts color, a gal of clear, 1 gal reducer and 1 qt of hardener which is enough for the whole car, i think spray paint might look really really bad but what the hell do i know. thats just some ideas.
Old 09-18-2000, 09:36 AM

How hard was it to do the paint?? If its only going to run me $800 for supplies, I might be able get my dad to spring for it. It might cost me a bit more though b/c I want to paint it black w/ 2 white racing stripes... The other thing is there's a dent in the driver side door and a few patches of rust... the dent isn't all that bad, I can probably get it out myself...

How long did it take to prep/paint/etc.??

------------------
1986 LG4 Z28
6x9 Alpine's
2 MTX 10's run by 250W MTX amp
Soon to have Hooker Aerochamber cat-back
Soon to have a bra (gag! but the front paint is hurting bad)
Old 09-18-2000, 10:22 AM
CG

the prep took awhile, my front end was horrible and had to be sanded completely down, i sanded the fenders with 400 grit to rough them up and i had to fill some dents with putty. the masking didnt take too long but i would put the most emphasis on prep work. like i said paint and everything was under $500 but get the right equip to shoot it with, the guys at the local paint shop were of a great help and provided alot of answers and brochures to answer my questions on mixing and temperatures and **** like that. i would suggest setting up like a booth also to minimize chances of dust and other things (like the moth that destroyed the second coat of color on my hood as it was drying. putting stripes on i think would be after the black then u would have to re-clear the areas where the stripes are so the paint is all even.

------------------
91 RS 305 TBI
hypertech chip
160 deg stat
flowmaster exhaust
gutted cats
Z28 grille and fogs
freshly repainted mystic teal (the orig color)
Old 09-18-2000, 11:22 AM

i just did my iroc a week ago, 100% myself. i was able to do a damn good job. all of the paint supplies costed me $173. all of it. the paint is not cheap, it is just last years stuff. i painted it in my garage and i got a lot of dust in the paint so i had to sand the paint down with 1500 grit and then rebuff it, and damn i have never seen such a nice pint job come out of a garage.
btw it is porsche red. very bright. anyother colour and it is cheaper by $40.