Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Convertible 2 seater?!?! Is this legit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1989 Chevorolet Iroc-z convertible
Engine: 383, holley terminator efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: stock 10 bolt w/ 3.73
Re: Convertible 2 seater?!?! Is this legit

thank you
Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Do they make covers over the rear seats for the 3rd generation Camaro like the one over the the rear seats in the picture below?
Attached Thumbnails Convertible 2 seater?!?! Is this legit-carmageddon1014.jpg  
Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84/84/85 TA Conv 87/88 McLaren Conv
Engine: V8s only foreign cars SUCK
Transmission: 93 Vette auto (1 of 5) 40 MPG
Axle/Gears: 2.59 40MPG on I-state No lie

Go to yahoo and type in 1984 Trans Am Convertible, theres an ad for one of those things for $2200, but you would have to cut the top of your car off and convert it. Looks like at least $5000 worth of work.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 PM

would it be very hard to make it fit?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 PM

In the 80s, when I was making $17500 per year working for the third largest accounting firm in the world, they were charging about $10000 over a base car to produce these. A decklid shipped is going to cost you $2500, then you need an Auto Forms parts car which I have never seen, though it probably exists. Then you need somebody capable of putting the thing together which is a task within itself because there is none of these cars out there and it is the only top mechanism like this that I have ever seen. I promise 99+% of all trim shops have not seen this either. They are going to need to have the capability of blowtorching the top off and the ability to put the parts car top on yours and hope the interior matches because the inner liner of the top is from the original car. I'm thinking $5000 labor/$5000 parts. That yahoo site I was talking about is probably capable of doing this because they have two or three of these things which have been converted into KITT cars, (what just a complete waste, KITT wasn't even a convertible) if a parts car can be found. I think you'd be better off purchasing another car instead of this route, just to hard and I almost always underestimate costs.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 PM

If you already have a convertible, maybe thats what you've been getting at, its possible some type of tonneau cover is available. I have a 89 5.0 Mustang convertible that I've been looking for one of those for years without luck. I've been told that these people who make truck covers might be able to form one. I'm skeptical, its going to take a high skilled fiberglass man to design one of these and with the production of 1, instead of 1000, is going to be expensive.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 PM

ah... ok, now i understand. thanks a lot.
----------
Originally Posted by 813eighth
If you already have a convertible, maybe thats what you've been getting at, its possible some type of tonneau cover is available. I have a 89 5.0 Mustang convertible that I've been looking for one of those for years without luck. I've been told that these people who make truck covers might be able to form one. I'm skeptical, its going to take a high skilled fiberglass man to design one of these and with the production of 1, instead of 1000, is going to be expensive.

Where did you get the 2.59 gears for your car?

Last edited by IROCUDREW; 02-10-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM

I own an 84 trans am convertible built by auto form. I understand only ,some odd 280 somthing were built from 83-86 in indiana. The only way to obtain one was to order from dealer. When I was a kid a dealer had two I remember clearley. The were on the lot forsale. I'm guessing the dealer had them built and then sold. They were camaros though. Roughly 90% were camaros and the t/a is the rare bird.
I tried to buy mine forever and ended up with it on trade after trade. It has 70,000 miles and has the crappiest shade tree paint I've seen. It also has a prior salvage title. It has never been wrecked but it has a gm replacement block. I'm guessing it was a theft recovery and the motor was pulled.
She needs som love but has been garaged since atleast 2000. The undercarrige is sweet.
I would sell if the price is right because I'm making a street car out of it if not. Gutting the engine bay,built357 on the bottle,fullcage etc.etc.looking for the 10's w/small ci.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Car: 1983 Z28 Convert.
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: 4 speed auto.

I have a 1983 Camaro Z-28 Autoform Conversion. My car was the Pace Car used in the 1983 Road America Sprints in Elkhart, Indiana and doesn,t have a door post nameplate and because it was used as a pace car I assume it might be the first production model. None of these conversions can be traced by Vin#'s because they were sent directly from dealers to Autoform. I know that Autoform had 2 shops the one in Elkhart and another one in Shawnee, Oklahoma. They went out of business in 1986 because GM used ASC to make their 1987 Production convertible.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 AM

That sounds like an interesting car, there were unusual things about alot of these cars. One of mine has only two door guard pieces instead of three, but i can find no evidence that it has ever been painted. It has 32,000 miles and doesn't look painted. It has no overspray, the inside door sticker is perfect, no misalignment if a panel was replaced. It looks stock. I'd try to document anything you can about the car. You are right about the title not decribing it as an Autoform car. Even my ASC Mclarens are that way. I'm really stunned by how little is known about these cars. In the long run that will be a good thing, but lots of knowledgeable collectors have no idea that it was a factory approved conversion, not highly unlike Shelby/Saleen and many others. Production is the issue, sooooooooooo rare.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:24 AM

Car: 1988 Iroc convertible
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T-5, swapped it in.
Axle/Gears: no clue, but I'll learn

so, my question is are they more valuable, or maybe less - special niche type of thing? I've never seen one, hadn't heard of one. I gotta think that was a good price on the one listed. Interesting. Sort of reminds me of a conversion van kinda thing, but we all have conversions, so this is just a different, and rarer version, I guess.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:17 AM

The thing that makes these so special is GM, probably because of Ralph Nader, quit making Camaro and Firebird convertibles from 1978 to 1987. The other thing that is particularly unique about the Autoform Conversions is that they are the only 2 seat roadsters ever built in the Camero and Firebird models. The price on the car you saw is in my opinion a great price, but be careful about the condition of the unique parts that are no longer available and refabrication comes at a high price. I have only seen one Camero and one Firebird for sale in a completly restored condition and they were priced at $18 to $21K. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $12,000 because it is in such good original condition.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 PM

I have an 1983 Z28 convertible (for sale, btw, $8,500) white w/ dark blue top and interior.

About 600 of these two seater roadsters were custom built in the early 80's. They are now pretty rare, especially in this good condition.

The custom conversion was done by a well known company called AutoForm, out of Elkhart, Indiana, and included cross member frame enhancements and additional lateral engineering. The center of gravity has been lowered thru the conversion and the car corners like it is on rails. Fiberglass hood, cowl and deck lid. Convertible top has a solid fiberglass panel with liner, covered with canvas that boots down to the deck lid.

Two real, functioning intake vents in the hood snap open when under acceleration. Car goes faster than I need to drive it.

New paint, top replaced and reupholstered seats. Original wheels, very good tires. Original 5.0L TBI V8 with 4 speed auto transmission. Runs and sounds great. Sound system is a top of the line stereo with mated Alpine 4/3/2 channel power amp and hi end speakers.

It has been in the family for since 1984.

sotaguy@aol.com
Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Here are a few comments I have about the recent posts on this subject. See below:

gotopless says: "I own an 84 trans am convertible built by auto form. I understand only ,some odd 280 something were built from 83-86 in indiana. They were camaros though. Roughly 90% were camaros and the t/a is the rare bird."

You say 280 AutoForms were built. Hmmmmm.....have any documentation to prove it? Also, I have kept a tally of all the AutoForm conversions I have seen. I went through my recorded AutoForm sightings and they read:
'83 Firebird/TA 2
'84 Firebird/TA 10
'85 Firebird/TA 15
'86 Firebird/TA 2
'83 Camaro 8
'84 Camaro 9
'85 Camaro 1
'86 Camaro 1
So your comment that 90% were Camaros seems a bit wrong. I count 29 Firebirds/TA to 19 Camaros. That is far from scientific, but is a pretty good cross-section.

Bruce Mullikin says: "I have a 1983 Camaro Z-28 Autoform Conversion. My car was the Pace Car used in the 1983 Road America Sprints in Elkhart, Indiana and doesn't,t have a door post nameplate and because it was used as a pace car I assume it might be the first production model. None of these conversions can be traced by Vin#'s because they were sent directly from dealers to Autoform. I know that Autoform had 2 shops the one in Elkhart and another one in Shawnee, Oklahoma. They went out of business in 1986 because GM used ASC to make their 1987 Production convertible.

The thing that makes these so special is GM, probably because of Ralph Nader, quit making Camaro and Firebird convertibles from 1978 to 1987. The other thing that is particularly unique about the Autoform Conversions is that they are the only 2 seat roadsters ever built in the Camero and Firebird models. "

Who knows if you car was the first, other than the door label does have a number that might be sequential. What number is on the label in your door jamb? I would agree that all the conversions stopped because they couldn't compete with the mass-produced ASC convertibles with a full GM warranty. I also agree that the AutoForm cars are special because they have a unique 2-seater specialness about them. All the other F-body convertible conversions became un-unique when GM finally sponsored the mass-produced ASC cars.

I guess you could blame Ralph a little for the death of the convertible, but not really. A December, 1973 article in Road & Track magazine explains the fall of the convertible in a very data-rich and scientific manner. The article does not blame government mandates or safety concerns for making the convertible too expensive or impossible to continue to build. Rather, it suggests that buyer tastes have changed, making the convertible a less attractive option for new car buyers. Some reasons listed were:
-Better interstate highways, higher speeds and longer travel times that make wind-in-your-hair driving less appealing.
-"Hardtop" design improved, making the 2 door hardtop more stylish.
-Convertibles cost more to build and sell than a comparable hardtop.
-Hardtops are stronger and have a stiffer frame for more spirited driving.
-Air conditioning became an affordable and more common option that made comfortable windows-up driving more common.
-Longer hair on men and women became the trend and was hard to keep orderly in a convertible.
-Custom vans and pickups became a trend that many would-be convertible buyers went to.
-Fake fabric top coverings on a hardtop became a style alternative to true convertibles. In 1971, 42% of all domestic cars were sold as fabric covered hardtops.
The article showed the slow decline in sales of the convertible from the mid-sixties into the seventies, compared to the hardtops of the same model. Sales were down because few buyers decided a convertible was the right car for them.

Have you ever taken a serious count of convertibles that you pass on a trip to or from work? I did recently, and passed/met 25 convertibles on my 30 minute city street drive. It was one of those perfect, legendary spring days that begged you to open your windows or drop the top. Of the 25, I counted 12 cars with the top down and 13 cars with the top up. Why do these people own convertibles if they don't lower the top on the most perfect day of the year? Some might have been on the phone and didn't want the noise, or others were in a hurry and didn't want to wait 25 seconds for the top to lower? It proves that most people think they are "convertible people" but really aren't. In the 1970's those "convertible people" wannabees opt'ed for more sensible transportation.

813eighth says: "You are right about the title not describing it as an Autoform car. Even my ASC Mclarens are that way. I'm really stunned by how little is known about these cars. In the long run that will be a good thing, but lots of knowledgeable collectors have no idea that it was a factory approved conversion, not highly unlike Shelby/Saleen and many others. Production is the issue, sooooooooooo rare."

I think it is very bad that so little is known about these cars. Remember that collector value is only partially driven by rarity. It is also driven by notoriety or fame. We tend to collect the cars we remembered as "cool" in our youth. Since so few will remember these conversions or understand the whole coach convertible phenomena, it will only send these cars into obscurity. Unless they get some notoriety quick, they wont ever have a chance of being a highly desirable collectible. They will float along in value with the other F-body cars of the same year. The ASC/McLaren Capri/Mustangs are much more recognizable to the car collecting public and have a much better chance to become star collectibles.

Sotaguy says: "I have an 1983 Z28 convertible (for sale, btw, $8,500) white w/ dark blue top and interior.
About 600 of these two seater roadsters were custom built in the early 80's. They are now pretty rare, especially in this good condition.
The custom conversion was done by a well known company called AutoForm, out of Elkhart, Indiana, and included cross member frame enhancements and additional lateral engineering. Convertible top has a solid fiberglass panel with liner, covered with canvas that boots down to the deck lid. "

600 were made? Hmmm..... Does anyone really know how many were made? I have seen about 20 different guesses over the years and no one has proven to me a true count from a reliable source. If you have one, post it here and cite your source!

Lastly.....all four of you (Sotaguy, 813eighth, Bruce Mullikin, gotopless) need to post photos of your convertibles to this thread. I want to see them!!!

Last edited by slimwhitman; 05-15-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 PM

You are right about needing some real data. I can't believe that Autoform and all of their people are gone but I haven't been able to find a trace. We can document all of the known autoform conversions by Year, make and Vin #'s and determine the order of production of our cars by year. Vin numbers (last 6 digits) will provide dates for every Camero and every Trans am. As we identify new cars they will fit in that matrix. In addition for the 83's there are clues such as, Motor (Carberatedor injected) Injected V-8's were introduced March 1, 1983, Hoods wer changed from fiberglass to metal (probably the same date) and transmissions also changed in the model year. Another path is any form of Autoform ID found in your cars, mine doesn't have any which is why I assume it might be one of the first made. If every owner will provide anything they know or have heard we will be able to seperate some of the facts from some of the fiction .
Old 05-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Sotaguy-can you give us any more info. on your car, Vin #,any door post ID from AutoForm etc. It would be wonderful if you could identify where your family bought the car and what Dealer.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM

While doing some research on these coach convertibles, I found these cars for sale. Somebody buy the '85 by Coach Conversions fast! I called the guy and it sounds like a great car at a bargain price! Even though this is a "2-seater by AutoForm" thread, most of these cars are 4-seaters.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/car/682107271.html -'83 by Greenwood
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/689459549.html - '84 by ACC
http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/car/689577819.html - '85 by Coach Conversions
http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/688620196.html - '85 by AutoForm

1985 Camaro Convertible by Coach Conversions Inc - $2000 (Columbia, MO) 2.8 Liter V6, Red color, Automatic Transmission, Blk Interior, 145,000 miles, Aluminum Wheels, Contact Butch at 573-474-1212 or 573-289-2326, Excellent condition, runs and looks great.

1983 Camaro Convertible by John Greenwood (Chicago) is a specially-made limited production that includes the following specs and factory options. -MILEAGE: under 66K -ENGINE: Small block Corvette engine w/ high performance heads -TRANSMISSION: 4 speed automatic turbo-hydro 700R4 transmission -REAR END: Danna Type w/ special suspension and aluminum housing -FIBER GLASS HOOD AND TRUNK LID -CRUISE CONTROL -POWER WINDOWS -POWER SEATS -POWER STEERING -POWER BREAKS -POWER TOP -BUCKET SEATS AND CONSOLE -CD PLAYER (only part not original) phone:847-477-6790 email: sakramerphd@hotmail.com

1984 Camaro Convertible by American Custom Coachworks with 48900 Miles 1 owner - $12900 (san jose west)Phone: 408-293-8080 Website: www.showroomclassics.com Email: sales@showroomclassics.com

1985 Pontiac Firebird by AutoForm Convertible(Columbus OH) only 19,800 miles. All Original - Garaged - Low Miles - Collector / Show Car- Custom Convertible by Auto Form (Rare-only a few hundred made) No Rust Exterior- No Rips, Stains or Damage on the Interior- Power Steering,Windows, Brakes Air Conditioning AM/FM/Cassette Cruise Control Tilt Steering Convertible Top- Manual Bucket Seats Automatic Transmission Exterior Color, Red Interior Color, Red and Grey - Call Mike at 614-431-5602 or email any questions
Old 05-31-2008, 11:32 PM

I am the second owner of this 84" Camero with 43k original miles. I just thought I would share a few pics of her
Attached Thumbnails Convertible 2 seater?!?! Is this legit-car06.jpg   Convertible 2 seater?!?! Is this legit-car10.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by slimwhitman
600 were made? Hmmm.....
That number was probably taken from this confirmable source . . .
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/autoformlot1.htm
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 PM

Here are a few comments I have about the recent posts on this subject. See below:

gotopless says: "I own an 84 trans am convertible built by auto form. I understand only ,some odd 280 something were built from 83-86 in indiana. They were camaros though. Roughly 90% were camaros and the t/a is the rare bird."

You say 280 AutoForms were built. Hmmmmm.....have any documentation to prove it? Also, I have kept a tally of all the AutoForm conversions I have seen. I went through my recorded AutoForm sightings and they read:
'83 Firebird/TA 2
'84 Firebird/TA 10
'85 Firebird/TA 15
'86 Firebird/TA 2
'83 Camaro 8
'84 Camaro 9
'85 Camaro 1
'86 Camaro 1
So your comment that 90% were Camaros seems a bit wrong. I count 29 Firebirds/TA to 19 Camaros. That is far from scientific, but is a pretty good cross-section.

Bruce Mullikin says: "I have a 1983 Camaro Z-28 Autoform Conversion. My car was the Pace Car used in the 1983 Road America Sprints in Elkhart, Indiana and doesn't,t have a door post nameplate and because it was used as a pace car I assume it might be the first production model. None of these conversions can be traced by Vin#'s because they were sent directly from dealers to Autoform. I know that Autoform had 2 shops the one in Elkhart and another one in Shawnee, Oklahoma. They went out of business in 1986 because GM used ASC to make their 1987 Production convertible.

The thing that makes these so special is GM, probably because of Ralph Nader, quit making Camaro and Firebird convertibles from 1978 to 1987. The other thing that is particularly unique about the Autoform Conversions is that they are the only 2 seat roadsters ever built in the Camero and Firebird models. "

Who knows if you car was the first, other than the door label does have a number that might be sequential. What number is on the label in your door jamb? I would agree that all the conversions stopped because they couldn't compete with the mass-produced ASC convertibles with a full GM warranty. I also agree that the AutoForm cars are special because they have a unique 2-seater specialness about them. All the other F-body convertible conversions became un-unique when GM finally sponsored the mass-produced ASC cars.

I guess you could blame Ralph a little for the death of the convertible, but not really. A December, 1973 article in Road & Track magazine explains the fall of the convertible in a very data-rich and scientific manner. The article does not blame government mandates or safety concerns for making the convertible too expensive or impossible to continue to build. Rather, it suggests that buyer tastes have changed, making the convertible a less attractive option for new car buyers. Some reasons listed were:
-Better interstate highways, higher speeds and longer travel times that make wind-in-your-hair driving less appealing.
-"Hardtop" design improved, making the 2 door hardtop more stylish.
-Convertibles cost more to build and sell than a comparable hardtop.
-Hardtops are stronger and have a stiffer frame for more spirited driving.
-Air conditioning became an affordable and more common option that made comfortable windows-up driving more common.
-Longer hair on men and women became the trend and was hard to keep orderly in a convertible.
-Custom vans and pickups became a trend that many would-be convertible buyers went to.
-Fake fabric top coverings on a hardtop became a style alternative to true convertibles. In 1971, 42% of all domestic cars were sold as fabric covered hardtops.
The article showed the slow decline in sales of the convertible from the mid-sixties into the seventies, compared to the hardtops of the same model. Sales were down because few buyers decided a convertible was the right car for them.

Have you ever taken a serious count of convertibles that you pass on a trip to or from work? I did recently, and passed/met 25 convertibles on my 30 minute city street drive. It was one of those perfect, legendary spring days that begged you to open your windows or drop the top. Of the 25, I counted 12 cars with the top down and 13 cars with the top up. Why do these people own convertibles if they don't lower the top on the most perfect day of the year? Some might have been on the phone and didn't want the noise, or others were in a hurry and didn't want to wait 25 seconds for the top to lower? It proves that most people think they are "convertible people" but really aren't. In the 1970's those "convertible people" wannabees opt'ed for more sensible transportation.

813eighth says: "You are right about the title not describing it as an Autoform car. Even my ASC Mclarens are that way. I'm really stunned by how little is known about these cars. In the long run that will be a good thing, but lots of knowledgeable collectors have no idea that it was a factory approved conversion, not highly unlike Shelby/Saleen and many others. Production is the issue, sooooooooooo rare."

I think it is very bad that so little is known about these cars. Remember that collector value is only partially driven by rarity. It is also driven by notoriety or fame. We tend to collect the cars we remembered as "cool" in our youth. Since so few will remember these conversions or understand the whole coach convertible phenomena, it will only send these cars into obscurity. Unless they get some notoriety quick, they wont ever have a chance of being a highly desirable collectible. They will float along in value with the other F-body cars of the same year. The ASC/McLaren Capri/Mustangs are much more recognizable to the car collecting public and have a much better chance to become star collectibles.

Sotaguy says: "I have an 1983 Z28 convertible (for sale, btw, $8,500) white w/ dark blue top and interior.
The custom conversion was done by a well known company called AutoForm, out of Elkhart, Indiana, and included cross member frame enhancements and additional lateral engineering. Convertible top has a solid fiberglass panel with liner, covered with canvas that boots down to the deck lid. "

600 were made? Hmmm..... Does anyone really know how many were made? I have seen about 20 different guesses over the years and no one has proven to me a true count from a reliable source. If you have one, post it here and cite your source!

Lastly.....all four of you (Sotaguy, 813eighth, Bruce Mullikin, gotopless) need to post photos of your convertibles to this thread. I want to see them!!!

Yeah, in the 1983 people thought those old 1960s Dodges were worthless hunks of rusting crap. Not thinking that anymore. Barrett Jackson sold one of these cars in 2007 for 17000 and 20000 in the majorly depressed environment of 2008, thats about 20% more. The 2007 was a nicer car as well, but it had stickers on the dash. This years car had nice paint, but was not an original motor, but a v-6 turbo out of an 89 anniversary. I contend a nice, original, under 50K mile car might sell for 30-50 in a good market by 2010-15.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Hope this works[IMG]old picture 263[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 AM

[IMG]www.thirdgen,org/techboard/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=127473[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 Roadster
Engine: 350 .40 over
Transmission: 700R4

I just picked one of these up about a month ago. It's a 1984 Z28 Roadster. It is an Autoform car, still has the badge on the rear bumper from Autoform. Here are some pics of it. Name:  Camaro5.jpg
Views: 6575
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  Camaro1.jpg
Views: 3526
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1RARE84
I just picked one of these up about a month ago. It's a 1984 Z28 Roadster. It is an Autoform car, still has the badge on the rear bumper from Autoform. Here are some pics of it.
Great looking car! Is there any way you can post a photo of the badge on the bumper? Almost all the AutoForms have lost that badge, so I have never seen one.

Bruce: I am hoping you are able to post a photo....if not, you can email it to me at kcdesoto1(at)hotmail.com and I will post it for you.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Great looking car! Is there any way you can post a photo of the badge on the bumper? Almost all the AutoForms have lost that badge, so I have never seen one.

Bruce: I am hoping you are able to post a photo....if not, you can email it to me at kcdesoto1(at)hotmail.com and I will post it for you.
Thanks! I have a lot of plans for it. I will take a picture of the badge as soon as weather permits...
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM

They made them in 82 also! I have a 1982 z28 crossfire 2 seater vert by autoform
Old 09-12-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigMonte
They made them in 82 also! I have a 1982 z28 crossfire 2 seater vert by autoform
In all my years of research on these, I have NEVER seen an '82 AutoForm Camaro or Firebird. Please post a photo of your car. Also, please look in the door jamb for the sticker that has a letter/number combo that was placed there by AutoForm. Sticker is something like this:

If your car is really an AutoForm, I am curious about the history. Please fill us in!! Can't wait to see your photos!!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Wow, I didn't know they made an 82 either! but seeing as I didn't know they made them at all until I got mine.... I'm sure anything is possible.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block

I dont know how I ever missed this thread. I love the 2 seaters and have always wanted one. I've some pics not posted here already in my gallery at http://badassiroc.com under the verts and speedsters category. Post up more pics of these please!
----------
Here is the link

http://www.omnipotent-goku.com/iroc/gallery/album07

Last edited by omnipotentgoku; 09-16-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-17-2008, 06:17 PM

Here is a picture of the badge. I plan to get it restored.

Name:  IMGP7380.jpg
Views: 3085
Size:  49.8 KB
Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Here is a picture of the badge. I plan to get it restored.
Thank you SOOO much for taking that photo. In all these years I have never seen one of those badges survive. Keep an eye on it....it could fall off any day!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Thank you SOOO much for taking that photo. In all these years I have never seen one of those badges survive. Keep an eye on it....it could fall off any day!

I might have to stand watch over it with my shotgun then...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 AM

I might have to stand watch over it with my shotgun then...
No, seriously.........FALL OFF! Make sure the adhesive is still in good shape.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 AM

No, seriously.........FALL OFF! Make sure the adhesive is still in good shape.
Oh, it is on there PRETTY good! I don't think you could even pull that thing off. It has a LOT of adhesive on it.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM

Yup, it's an 82. I have been in the middle of hurricane Ike and no power. I'm just getting back to work today.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the money and am going to pick up my autoform z28 tomorrow. It is an 85, originally white, missing a couple small pieces, runs great, great interior, $1500. Taking it on a trailer straight to a paint shop to be resprayed.

Story on the car is, guy buys it new, goes to desert storm, no return. Father of the original owner sells it to a family friend who owns a body shop (it is currently completely block sanded and ready for paint, perfectly straight). Anyway, car sits in body shop about 5 years, guy dies of cancer this year. Brother inherits it, doesnt know what to do with it, next thing you know, I am getting a roadster. Will get pics and sticker info when possible
Old 09-20-2008, 08:20 PM

So, you will never guess what I just bought....

Name:  IMGP7400.jpg
Views: 3346
Size:  74.3 KB

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10
Pic 11

Another AutoForm 2 seater.. This one is a 1984 Trans Am Roadster... So, now I have 2
Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 PM

cool, congrats on a nice pair (lol thats sounds funny, hope you are not a female). If you dont mind, what was the damage to the old wallet on yours?

Incidentally, mine is 0064 on the door jam. to those keeping tabs on these things.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by adamsbomb
cool, congrats on a nice pair (lol thats sounds funny, hope you are not a female). If you dont mind, what was the damage to the old wallet on yours?

Incidentally, mine is 0064 on the door jam. to those keeping tabs on these things.
Not a female, so you are safe from a sexual harassment charge.. For the pair of them I paid 7k.... I lucked out on both of them
Old 09-21-2008, 11:14 AM

wow, nice, seesms like some good prices, has me second guessing mine lol. Nice score again.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by adamsbomb
wow, nice, seesms like some good prices, has me second guessing mine lol. Nice score again.
Nah, believe me, I got them way cheaper than I should have...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:34 PM

yeah, I just picked mine up for 1500, runs like a top, all block sanded ready for paint, pretty much new interior.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

Nice cars 84! Only thing I'd change on that maro is those rims and the little stripes someone painted on the front of the hood up to the vents.. are those s10 rims?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Great to see both cars together. We know the Camaro is an '84. What year is the Firebird? Can you post photos of both cars autoform i.d. from the door jamb. They might have both been built in succession?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by 89RsPower!
Nice cars 84! Only thing I'd change on that maro is those rims and the little stripes someone painted on the front of the hood up to the vents.. are those s10 rims?
Yeah, I actually plan on getting new rims, those came with the car. Also putting a new hood on it.
----------
Great to see both cars together. We know the Camaro is an '84. What year is the Firebird? Can you post photos of both cars autoform i.d. from the door jamb. They might have both been built in succession?
They are both 84's!! I will try to get pics later.

Last edited by 1RARE84; 09-22-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce Mullikin
[IMG]www.thirdgen,org/techboard/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=127473[/IMG]
Here is Bruce Mullikin's '83 Z-28 convertible by AutoForm:
Old 09-23-2008, 01:56 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block

So, you will never guess what I just bought....

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10
Pic 11

Another AutoForm 2 seater.. This one is a 1984 Trans Am Roadster... So, now I have 2
What! Whats this !! Such villany !! I did not authorize this!! You will pay for your gluttonous ways 1Rare84 !! You have broken multiple third gen laws!!!

1. Usage of the word "Rare" by any thirdgen owner is blasphemy! , usage of it in their Username is contemptible defiance !!

2. Thou shalt not own a unique, limited edition (but not the "R" word) vehicle, and hide it from the community... just to reveal that you greedily own 2 of this unique limited edition vehicle... in both renditions no less !!

3. Thou shalt no speak of the ease of acquiring such uniquely limited items as though thou can shake them from a tree. Thou must haveth respecteth (hehe) for those who have tried and failed to attain such glory, and boast of the many hardships necessary to attain such glory!!

4. Thou shalt not display such badassery with such limited photography!! (Seriously, you need to get a photo shoot going so I can add them thangs to the gallery at http://badassiroc.com)

For your treachery and exorbitant display of "Badassimus-thirdgenemus-aquire-mus"
I salute you!!!

Nice rides man, you have further confirmed my need for one of these vehicles. If you ever need to sell one or the other, please offer it back to the community first. I hope you've got a lil thirdgen missus to help you enjoy those.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by omnipotentgoku
What! Whats this !! Such villany !! I did not authorize this!! You will pay for your gluttonous ways 1Rare84 !! You have broken multiple third gen laws!!!

1. Usage of the word "Rare" by any thirdgen owner is blasphemy! , usage of it in their Username is contemptible defiance !!

2. Thou shalt not own a unique, limited edition (but not the "R" word) vehicle, and hide it from the community... just to reveal that you greedily own 2 of this unique limited edition vehicle... in both renditions no less !!

3. Thou shalt no speak of the ease of acquiring such uniquely limited items as though thou can shake them from a tree. Thou must haveth respecteth (hehe) for those who have tried and failed to attain such glory, and boast of the many hardships necessary to attain such glory!!

4. Thou shalt not display such badassery with such limited photography!! (Seriously, you need to get a photo shoot going so I can add them thangs to the gallery at http://badassiroc.com)

For your treachery and exorbitant display of "Badassimus-thirdgenemus-aquire-mus" I salute you!!!

Nice rides man, you have further confirmed my need for one of these vehicles. If you ever need to sell one or the other, please offer it back to the community first. I hope you've got a lil thirdgen missus to help you enjoy those.
LOL!!! Nice! I DO need to take more pictures of them both, I might try to get someone to drive one of the Badassimus-thirdgenemuses to a local park or something to get some proper photos of them together. Also, for the record, I am planning to restore the TA and sell it. If the price is right I might sell the pair of them
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM

Yup, it's an 82. I have been in the middle of hurricane Ike and no power. I'm just getting back to work today.
Please post some photos. I guess I can't believe it until I see it. A photo of the door jamb sticker would be icing on the cake.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:14 PM

No icing. I bought the car from a used car lot in Houston in 1988. vin is 1G1AP8775CN156066. I let it set so long the motor is locked up. Name:  camaro1.jpg
Views: 3129
Size:  53.6 KB

Last edited by TheBigMonte; 09-27-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Convertible 2 seater?!?! Is this legit