Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Exhaust Cutout Wiring and Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Exhaust Cutout Wiring and Install

Short version: How do you run the wiring for a cutout mounted in the intermediate pipe cleanly back into the car? It seems like there isn't a good place to cross over the exhaust and into the tunnel where you can strap it down. Pics?

Longer version: I was digging through my pile of extra exhaust parts and noticed a QTP exhaust cutout, checked it out and it worked. Since my 5y/o has been telling me that I need to make the car louder and more racecar (I generally like the stealth of it sounding stockish but sometimes you just have to scream), a PO cut my intermediate pipe too short making it really hard to keep it from rattling in various places and half a dozen other fitment problems I decided I'd kill 6 birds with one stone and put it on the '87 TA.

I was going to originally put it in the section replacing the original converter, but it seemed like it would be too close to the WB02 sensor I had mounted there (no matter where I was willing to move things they ended up within 12" of each other), so I decided it's going in the straight section with the dump in the raised area under the seats.

I marked it and welded it in and putting it back up I realized why the exhaust never fit right, for some reason the PO had cut the intermediate pipe and re-welded it and by my estimations made it about 1" too short... I wish I figured that out before I cut everything. Oh well, cut, add a 1" piece of pipe... "hey, I've never had an F-body with this much room around everything in the exhaust... sweet!

So back to the question, the wiring comes out almost by the rear subframe, on the outside of the exhaust and I'm not seeing a convenient place to run it over the exhaust and towards the center/front of the car that doesn't mean wiring hanging down or coming way to close to the exhaust. There are no convenient rubber body grommets to poke it through on these things like there are on a lot of newer cars (4th gens included).

So how did you guys do it neatly?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:31 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Exhaust Cutout Wiring and Install

If anyone wants to see some install pics:

Y pipe welded in. you can see where I added the 1" section

I hate when people leave these things without turndonws, and I hate soot covering the bottom of my car.

I don't know what happened to the original wiring but the boot was messed up, I just put a wad of paper in there to keep stuff away from the motor and filled it with RTV. The original harness was gone so I cut off the QTP connection and put a 2pin trailer harness style connector on it.

Everything all neat and tidy. I threw the turndown in the blast cabinet and then coated it with black ceramic :-P

Everything installed and you can see where the wiring ended up.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

No responses huh?

Well, I literally drilled a hole right above where the wiring comes out, which came out right under the right-hand side of the right-hand rear seat bracket (a nice protected spot) and ran the wiring under the carpet to the console area and used a power window type switch.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Looks good to me! If the hole is sealed then wherever you put it you should be good!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jharrison5
Looks good to me! If the hole is sealed then wherever you put it you should be good!
I need to find an appropriately large rubber grommet, right now I just stuck some split loom on the wiring, put a little electrical tape over the plug and stuck it through the hole, the loom should protect it well enough till I get a grommet in there. Honestly, there is part of me considering just putting some RTV on it and calling it done.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Well, I literally drilled a hole right above where the wiring comes out, which came out right under the right-hand side of the right-hand rear seat bracket (a nice protected spot) and ran the wiring under the carpet to the console area and used a power window type switch.
Same here. Basically the same install.

I've got a DMH cutout, and I actually used an Iroc window switch in between the two factory switches, so now I've got three across, all in a row.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
No responses huh?

Hey, that fits in there quite nicely.
As for the wiring, you already did what I would have suggested.
You could drill the hole larger and use a short piece of fuel line for a grommet.
But any NAPA should have the rubber grommet you are looking for.

Last edited by NoEmissions84TA; 06-01-2017 at 01:59 AM.