North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

MA/NH - I'm doing an engine swap, anyone wanna wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
MA/NH - I'm doing an engine swap, anyone wanna wrench?

Doing a V6 to V8 swap in my 1983 Firebird and could use a hand as I don't really know what I'm doing haha

I have all the parts for the swap; tranny, flywheel, clutch, headers, gauge cluster, motor mounts, radiator, etc.

Just pulled the V6 out.

I have a complete 1985 L69 V8, with the full uncut harness & ECU. It is a stock rebuild except for a cam and emissions are removed.

I do have an Edelbrock intake & carb + non ECU distributor I'd rather use, and just get rid of all the computer controls.

I need help doing the wiring part... I want all the stock gauges/controls to work, so that's why I was going to use the PnP factory V8 harness. But I really don't want the computer junk choking the motor. So, I'd prefer to eliminate any unnecessary wiring and just simplify everything!

Prefer a wrenching buddy over hiring a mechanic. I have tools, I have beer, and I have a nice flat paved driveway.

Definitely could throw you some cash for gas & bandaids.

Longshot, but figured I'd try!
Attached Thumbnails MA/NH - I'm doing an engine swap, anyone wanna wrench?-20170608_153225.jpg  

Last edited by aaron7; 06-08-2017 at 06:31 PM.