Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Trickflow G1 versus Vortec (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/443117-trickflow-g1-versus-vortec.html)

wesilva 10-04-2007 10:57 PM

Trickflow G1 versus Vortec

Anyone have any personal experience with both the Trickflow G1 and Vortec heads? I was curious if the older G1 design would hold it's own against the Vortec heads.

Kevin Vandevenne 10-05-2007 07:28 AM

Re: Trickflow G1 versus Vortec

I believe the older G1's were limited to amount of valve lift you could run before you got into geometry problems, i think the area of .520", which isnt much if plan to use a roller cam. Also I remember back in the day people who bought some the first ones that came out, had issues with the valve guides wearing out, might be something to look for.

wesilva 10-05-2007 12:38 PM

Your correct on the valve guide wearing. This is because the intakes need a longer pushrod to maintain geometry. I am planning to run a roller cam but a mild one. Well below .520. More in the order of .480. I have also run Vortecs but not in the same vehicle. I have run Vortecs on my third gens. And I have run the G1's in my Suburban. Not much of a comparison to go on. I was hoping someone has run both heads in similiar vehicles and what they thought.

iceman02 10-05-2007 05:46 PM

Are we talkin' the twisted wedge heads?

89formula=happy 10-05-2007 05:49 PM

vortec heads turn me off because of their price, and the possiblity of having to change out the intake manifold.

89formula=happy 10-05-2007 05:49 PM

which adds to the price even more

91TPI5.7 10-06-2007 11:44 AM

Vortecs+new intake=674.90
TFTW+Stock intake=1165.00
TFTW+ Avg. Aftermarket intake=1364.95

Prices from SDPC for Vortecs and intakes, vortecs have valve spring upgrade included. Performer RPM airgap used as sample. Prices for trickflow twisted wedge heads from summit racing. It all comes down to what you want. If you want to budget and get some good HP then you do the math. The TF's offer reduced weight, and improved heat dissapation, and you can run more compression with less chance of detonation.
Personally, I am on a budget and plan to use the vortec tpi setup, and a cam os some sort. If i had $$$ falling out my ***, def. an aluminum head setup. Remember now a days cast iron is still cheap. Aluminum is still going up.

wesilva 10-08-2007 04:32 PM

I wish I could see some G1 flow figures. I bet they are in line with the Vortecs on the intake and flow better on the exhaust. GM heads from day one have always been just fair on the exhaust side. Factory Vortecs have proved no better. Maybe the newest Bowtie Vortecs have addressed the issue.

TransAM Joe 10-08-2007 04:45 PM

I am running close to 400 rwhp on factory casting vortecs up to 5800 rpm, about what most aluminum heads at any price would produce for half the price, its all about the cam selection.

1991CamaroRslow 10-08-2007 05:45 PM

What can did you use?

TransAM Joe 10-08-2007 05:53 PM

lt4 hot cam advanced 4*, but the big picture is the commander 950 and tunability.