Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Duralast CMax Brake Pads - are they ripping us off? (pics) (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/700122-duralast-cmax-brake-pads.html)

Mr.84TransAmer 04-12-2014 09:26 PM

Duralast CMax Brake Pads - are they ripping us off? (pics)

3 Attachment(s)
This is partially a review and partially me asking for advice.

I just picked up a set of Duralast CMax brake pads (ceramic) for my GTA (stock disc brakes) after the wear indicator on my current pads (Duralast CMax) began screeching. So after inspecting them here's what I found:

My current disc pads were worn down to 5/32", about halfway. It didn't make sense to me that the wear indicator starts screeching at the half-life of these pads so I checked the new set.

The new set measures 5/16" and sure enough, the wear indicator is about 5/32" in height, about halfway. (Pics for comparison)

This is my first brake job, but for the life of me I can't fathom why Duralast wants us to change our brakes halfway through. My previous set of brakes were installed at the shop and they lasted about 4 years. My current set only lasted about 1.5 years and I really don't wanna drive around with that PITA screeching when I still have some life left in the pads.

I'm thinking about just grinding down the wear indicators a bit further down to get more use out of these pads, but I'm not sure how much more I should grind them. Any advice?

92RS_Ttop 04-13-2014 12:58 AM

Re: Duralast CMax Brake Pads - are they ripping us off? (pics)

5/32" is just a hair over 1/8", which is the wear limit on most brake pads, IIRC. That extra 1/32" is to give you some warning before the pads are at their limit so you can drive the car for a few days till you can change to pads or get it to a shop.

Regardless of the wear indicator's depth, your old pads are cracked pretty badly and should be replaced anyhow for safety.

Mr.84TransAmer 04-13-2014 04:05 AM

ok thanks for the heads up. but I still don't figure how these brakes lasted way less than the last ones. are there longer lasting brakes out there?

Ron U.S.M.C. 04-13-2014 05:22 AM

I use Ceramic = http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/Br...ectCeramic.oap

evilemokid94 04-13-2014 08:46 AM

Go with Wagner thermo quiets. Best brakes iv ever used.

Keoman 04-13-2014 11:06 AM

Wagner Thermo Optional Ceramic Quiet pads at Oreily are $55.99 a set for the front
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0068&ppt=C0009

Rockauto has them for $28.18 shipped to my door?

Both part number QC154

Woah...

gt4373 04-13-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Keoman (Post 5747316)
Wagner Thermo Optional Ceramic Quiet pads at Oreily are $55.99 a set for the front
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0068&ppt=C0009

Rockauto has them for $28.18 shipped to my door?

Both part number QC154

Woah...

Rock Auto Prices Are Usually Lower Than The Chain Auto Parts Stores Most Of The Time.

Keoman 04-13-2014 12:31 PM

I can understand lower but almost half price? Thats pretty low.

87GTAMAN 04-13-2014 02:22 PM

They usually buy the over run parts cheap and can sell them for less and still make a profit. I buy a lot of parts from RockAuto. I've always liked that they have the parts I need and it doesn't break the bank.

Lurbie 04-13-2014 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Keoman (Post 5747348)
I can understand lower but almost half price? Thats pretty low.

Most companies are going to have a mark up of 300% to 1000% in order to cover their expenses and still make profits. Rock Auto is great for lower prices on most things.

chevy blood 04-13-2014 02:49 PM

Wagners come with radle clips

joshc 04-14-2014 09:57 PM

If your looking for quality auto parts, Autozone is not the place.
They sell off shore manufactured parts to sell at an economy price.
If you want quality pads that will perform well, look at EBC, Wagner, or Ac Delco Durastop. I'm sure there are other good brands, but these were the ones I have had good experiences with.

Sam L. 04-15-2014 12:38 PM

vette brakes swap over pretty easy on to our cars thats what im running work great

Mr.84TransAmer 04-15-2014 09:47 PM

The issue for me isn't how well they perform, it's how prematurely Duralast wants me to toss em out. Are all other brake pads out there designed to begin screeching when there's still 50% material left?

anesthes 04-22-2014 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.84TransAmer (Post 5748839)
The issue for me isn't how well they perform, it's how prematurely Duralast wants me to toss em out. Are all other brake pads out there designed to begin screeching when there's still 50% material left?

They have a lifetime warranty...

Why do you care about a free brake job every two years?

"Part Number: DGC154
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Application: With 1 piston caliper"

-- Joe

gsmarcano 05-27-2014 10:23 PM

I do a brake job every two years anyway, like preventative maintenance.