Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   BMW M3 Mirrors, both sides, mostly done (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/174132-bmw-m3-mirrors-both.html)

scauffiel 04-19-2003 02:35 PM

BMW M3 Mirrors, both sides, mostly done

1 Attachment(s)
I've got these mostly done now except for some final sanding but I had to get them on so I could drive. You can also see where I spent the week removing all of the different attempts to seal up my seams. No matter the method, the topmost layer (glazing putty/bondo) would always crack - so I'm done with that. I think the only way to go "seamless" is to run fiberglass fenders and fiberglass quarter panels with 'glass bumpers.

Lemme know whatcha think,
Steve

scauffiel 04-19-2003 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Number 2:

scauffiel 04-19-2003 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3:

scauffiel 04-19-2003 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
4:

Zepher 04-19-2003 02:39 PM

Nice. You taking it out to Giant Square today if it doesn't rain?

scauffiel 04-19-2003 02:40 PM

EDIT: Crap - there wasn't a fifth. :D

S.

scauffiel 04-19-2003 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Zepher
Nice. You taking it out to Giant Square today if it doesn't rain?
No, probably not. I'm working on the dual TBI setup and am meeting some folks tonight. I probably won't get to GS until May'ish. You heading out there?

S.

Zepher 04-19-2003 02:52 PM

I may head out there if we finish up the LT1 swap today.
Just need to wire up the fuel pump, PCM power, and the a few more wires for the gauge cluster.

Spectre 04-19-2003 03:17 PM

that looks great !
Is it just for looks or is
visibility enhanced like dead agle ?

scauffiel 04-19-2003 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Zepher
I may head out there if we finish up the LT1 swap today.
Just need to wire up the fuel pump, PCM power, and the a few more wires for the gauge cluster.

Very cool, I'm definitely gonna have to check that out when you get it out and about.

Originally posted by Spectre
that looks great !
Is it just for looks or is
visibility enhanced like dead agle ?

Mostly for looks, though they are the blue tinted lenses so that helps with nighttime glare. I don't have the lights hooked up yet.

S.

dsaint1347 04-19-2003 03:35 PM

Looking good, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

BTS88IROC 04-19-2003 07:54 PM

I didn't like it at first but for some reason now it seems to look alot better. It fits well with the 4th gen spoiler IMO. Keep up the good work :)

82firebird 04-19-2003 08:05 PM

I too didnt like it before, but now it looks good. Nice work Steve.

bubbakutz 04-19-2003 09:50 PM

holy poo.....i love ur car....wanna trade :rolleyes:
ps...how come none or ur pics work on ur page...

BlackBeast'88 04-19-2003 11:29 PM

scauffiel what happened to your website??? Have you moved it? I know you have a lot of good info on it. Let me (US) know....

scauffiel 04-19-2003 11:37 PM

Sorry about the website fellas, it's being moved to a different host and I'm having difficulties with the frickin' menu. I need to look up a couple of things and make sure they uploaded correctly. Hopefully by tomorrow night it'll all be good to go.

Not that I have any pix or info on the mirror swap there yet. :( But it'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the looksee though guys!

S.

devianb 04-19-2003 11:39 PM

I really don't like the M3 mirrors on a thirdgen. I really love the stock thirdgen mirrors - they are triangular - triangles are my favorite shapes. It fits with your custom motif so it still looks good.

CrazyHawaiian 04-20-2003 12:17 AM

I like it .. alot. The only bad part is now I have to find different mirrors to put on mine because I dont wanna copy you. I think I have a plan ... :D

MetalliCamaroRS 04-20-2003 01:58 AM

I like them. When you first posted the mock up pictures, I was undecided. Some angles made them look good but then they looked bad at other angles. Now I like 'em :)

nosaint 04-20-2003 09:09 AM

Sweet,

I think they flow quite nicely

12 Sec GTA 04-20-2003 12:04 PM

Looks really good.

What color you going to paint the car when you finish the body mods?

87WS6 04-20-2003 05:32 PM

Looks damn good man. I think that those mirrors really make the RAII hood and the 4th gen spoiler look more natural on the car.

I'd never do this to my car because of the cost, but I would love to do a fourth gen spoiler and Ram Air II hood on a 1991-1992 Trans-AM. And I think I would use 1985-1990 Fenders so I could keep the vents. It's a thought I had for my car. I don't think I am going to spend the cash on the conversion of the nose and rear bumper, and then add the GFX.

Looks good man. Keep us updated. Good luck with your efforts.

Azure 04-20-2003 05:43 PM

The openness under the 4th Gen wing is what really makes those mirrors work, too. Excellent. :D

soulbounder 04-20-2003 05:47 PM

Looks good Steve. That car just keeps getting better and better.

Freeze 04-20-2003 06:42 PM

not bad. but i still like the stock us mirrors better.

scott's85T/A 04-20-2003 07:20 PM

They look alot better now that you have them finished..

scauffiel 04-20-2003 07:34 PM

Hey thanks all - I appreciate it. The car will eventually be painted pearl white with ghost flames. I'd also like to do a flame lick or two in the tint of the windows and maybe some small licks across the T-Tops using an acid etching process.

Thanks again,
Steve

War_Eagle 04-20-2003 08:17 PM

Thats tight. Where did you score the mirrors and what did they set you back, if you don't mind? One other thing, how much trouble was the swap?..........

WillWood 04-20-2003 11:27 PM

I like the 4th gen spoiler, and it looks like you did pretty good on shaving the door handles.

redraif 04-21-2003 04:07 PM

Its coming along nice. It looks alot better then before! Sweet! I so love the flushed in fender vents! I'm seriously thinking about that on mine. I will use the larger 82-84 vents though. Then I have an extra plan for the smaller fender vents...:D

tpiroc 06-13-2003 01:52 AM

Were the mirrors a universal kit, aftermarket for a different model, or legitimately from an M3?

scauffiel 06-13-2003 07:14 AM

They were a universal kit that required quite a bit of modding to work as you see them.

S.

bigals87z28 06-13-2003 10:18 AM

any new shots of the car? when are you gunna paint that bad boy! and dual TBI set up? like twin carbs sort of?

Diabolical 06-13-2003 10:36 AM

they are looking pretty sweet. i love what you did with the fender vents too

scauffiel 06-13-2003 03:18 PM

I'll try to get some newer pix this weekend after my Spohn Torque Arm and secondary fuse block install. As far as paint goes, I'm in no hurry. I'm still considering getting fiberglass front fenders, rear quarters and back bumper in order to make the sealed seams work. Then, I'm considering getting those vents from the Saleen Mustang (the ones behind the doors) and seeing how they'd look up there where my flush ones are currently. If I don't like the look of THAT, I'm going to check out how the Tiburon vents look "on top of" my flush ones. Kind of hard to describe, so maybe I'll get around to doing a PhotoChop of it one of these nights. The dual TBI setup is actually ready to be bolted on, I'm just not up to speed on the Haltech programming stuff yet.

If there were more hours in the day... but there aren't.

S.

Z28ricer 06-13-2003 05:13 PM

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
I like it .. alot. The only bad part is now I have to find different mirrors to put on mine because I dont wanna copy you. I think I have a plan ... :D

Mirrors look great man.
Crazy- hope your plan isnt 4th gen firebird mirrors, if so, your 2nd in line ;)

FLYNLOW92rs 06-13-2003 06:19 PM

Looks nice

I like the fact they have blue-tinted glass, one of these days, i'm gonna look into getting the stock mirror glass tinted blue....

Keep up the good work.....

FruityOne 06-13-2003 06:38 PM

Then you'll have a blue version of Redraifs car. ^_^ Flyinlow, if your at the Des Moines Iwoa meet then I'll be able to see your car inperson! Thats if my money situation works out. I need money badly.

I like the M3 mirrors, now paint it so we can see how beautiful it looks!

gtabadboy 07-24-2003 08:19 PM

How did you wire those mirrors so that they come on with the parking lights but blink all the time with the blinkers?? I know they have three wires.

88 WS6 TransAm GTA 07-24-2003 10:31 PM

Originally posted by FruityOne
Then you'll have a blue version of Redraifs car.
Cmon now, dont insult the guy! :sillylol: :sillylol:

I acually like his car. Its not done cheaply, and its got a v8. :)

Hey FlyinLow, maybe you shold get another one of your rear spoilers and mount it underneath your front bumper. Then itll be complete! ;)

redraif 07-25-2003 10:12 AM

Originally posted by 88 WS6 TransAm GTA
Cmon now, dont insult the guy! :sillylol: :sillylol:

I acually like his car. Its not done cheaply, and its got a v8. :)

Hey FlyinLow, maybe you shold get another one of your rear spoilers and mount it underneath your front bumper. Then itll be complete! ;)

What is it with people and their need to start wars and kill threads! Grow up man!

Are you implying my car is cheaply done? Not! The work is quality. Don't call it "cheap" because we did the work versus paying someone to do the work! You don't win at the world of wheels with a "cheaply" done car...its got to be quality work & parts! People come up all the time and ask Joe and I to work on their cars, they are so impressed with mine! So "cheaply" done my car is not...

As far as the V-8 thing...get over it...geez...its not like the 2.8 will be there forever...
Man and you others make it sound like I don't care at all about performance...the suspension is as good as it gets...its not like I have not tweaked the 2.8 as much as possible...its running better dyno #s then a new crate stock 2.8L (I have a friend that has a 6000 mile 2.8L motor)...Once the 3.73 disc rear & torque convertor go in it will see some track time.

If the 2.8 bothers you so much...how about this? You loan me your car, so I can have a daily driver while I swap a better engine in RAIF...how does that sound?
Yeah... its a little to hard to take your only decent, reliable running car down to do a time consuming engine swap!
Its called too many projects & no where to work on them. And sadly because I want strong high HP motors put my projects, I can't just run to a local yard to get a running v-8 to just throw in. It needs to be built up right from the start!
Now will you get off my back!

FruityOne 07-25-2003 01:00 PM

Whoah....My comment was taken WAY out of proportion! My comment was originally to say that the color scheme was monochormatic, much like Redraifs car!

It was also brought on because I believe that Redraif did the M3 mirrors too.

redraif 07-25-2003 01:13 PM

I have the 4th gen mirror conversion...not the M3...
I hope you did not think I was snapping at you...

Here is a shot of the 4th gen mirrors on my car...
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...1_712_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...1_713_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...1_578_full.jpg

Coversion outlined here!

91305z 07-25-2003 01:15 PM

Looks like you got those mirrors to fit up nice, do they stick out further than the stock ones or does it just look like it.

NTChrist 07-25-2003 01:17 PM

Originally posted by redraif
Are you implying my car is cheaply done? Not! The work is quality. Don't call it "cheap" because we did the work versus paying someone to do the work!
GO AWAY.

Seriously.

Trans_AM_88 07-25-2003 02:40 PM

great job on the mirrors man! :hail:

redraif 07-25-2003 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by NTChrist
GO AWAY.

Seriously.

WHAT EVER! :rolleyes: You guys are stuck with me! :p

I'm not the one who started it and I have every right to defend.
:lala:

And to get back to the topic...

I couldn't say for sure if either mine or Steve's mirrors make the car wider side to side...Yes the physical mirrors compared to the 3rd gen ones are wider. But you have to realize where Steve and I have mounted them...they are on a door that is curved. the mounting location we chose is actually farther in. So I don't think either car would be wider side to side. The swept back appearance kind of throws you visually. I know the 4th gen mirror surface appears wider then the M3 mirror, but the pedestals on the M3 are longer them mine. I think overall the mirrors are about the same...

I guess it a get a chance to take and over head shot of a 3rd gen I will. And if Steve wants to climb up on his roof to snap a shot of his from above...kidding...I took my above shot from a hotel at a show!

Here you can see how my mirror sits compared to the width of the actual door.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...1_250_full.jpg

HEre is a pic of my car with the old mirrors on a lift...maybe this angle will help determine...

GarageToys 07-25-2003 03:01 PM

Originally posted by scauffiel
...I'm still considering getting fiberglass front fenders, rear quarters and back bumper in order to make the sealed seams work...
I realize that the body filler cracks & pops out whenever you try and fill the seams between the flexible bumper covers and the steel. But if you put fiberglass 1/4's on the car, the filler will eventually crack where the 'glass meets the metal. They always do, eventually.

FLYNLOW92rs 07-25-2003 03:02 PM

Originally posted by 88 WS6 TransAm GTA
My car is dropped, so it wouldn't fit.....:lala:

I might be able to fit it under the rear bumper though..........

redraif 07-25-2003 04:12 PM

Originally posted by FLYNLOW92rs
My car is dropped, so it wouldn't fit.....:lala:

I might be able to fit it under the rear bumper though..........

What drop do you have...mine is with the eibach pro kit...we can barley get a jack under it, even w/o the spoiler!:D