Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Check this car out I came across (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/361986-check-car-out-i.html)

sexp 05-17-2006 05:22 PM

There's also open dyno headers vs full dual into single into dual 3rd gen exhaust.

blyth18md 05-17-2006 09:14 PM

I decided to screw around with the photo a bit cuz somebody brought this car up again to me...Still wouldnt be teh paint scheme I would choose...but I thought it cleaned up well with a lil...

MsPaint Pwnage!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...assx/ygen3.jpg

Steven89Iroc 05-17-2006 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Wow... I'm amazed. Any posts that bash Raif's car get locked instantly, yet this one is still open.

Anyway, I still stand by my original opinion... well excecuted, but very questionable styling. My question now is this:
That translates into a 29% driveline loss. Did somebody put mashed potatos in the transmission?

:yup:
I like those wheels better in silver and the RAI hood looks 100x better than that, among some other things. However, overall it's very nicely done, and for a purpose other than to try to impress other people. Props for all the hard work.
Dare I go against my forever set-in-stone wheel styling opinion? I think maybe it would work better if the outer lip stayed red, but the rest of the wheel was painted solid black. That would have a 'racey' look to it, but it wouldn't overpower the rest of the car.

The moderators must not have seen this. That's the only logical explaination, heh.

intruder 05-17-2006 09:32 PM

lower the spoiler and take off the decals and it would be fine i like it the color comination is great :thumbsup:

sasser43 05-17-2006 09:42 PM

The intent of the thread was not to bash the car, thats why. Just a bunch of ppl arguing over if they like it or not. Although i would consider a lot of the post bashes.

littleTAkid82 05-17-2006 10:34 PM

Check out all these riced out Porsches, BMWs, Vettes and GTOs!!

http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT...06PR800-02.jpg

Oh oh and this one has painted honda civic rims

http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT...06PR800-12.jpg

he should take those stupid sponsor stickers off of it too

blyth18md 05-17-2006 10:58 PM

Honestly Im not sure what it is about the car that turns me off. Might be the color scheme, may be the lack of intricatcy(sp). But those cars flow alot better than the y-gen.

Maybe a low spoiler for the street and the grand-am wing for open track events.

I like the idea, but the application of the details i think could use a work.

But its your car. Love it. Live it. Leave it.

**** I know some people dont like my car but you cant please everyone. Just try not to take all the statements as hateful remarks but as criticism.

purpleZ-28 05-18-2006 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steve383
He riced out a T/A. End of story. Does he like it? Of course he does, he "built" it. Do others like it? Well, thats a concept people are trying to grasp in this thread. I for one do not like it but hey, like others have said this is not my car. But who really cares anymore, lock this thread and if he wants feedback on the car, create a new thread. I feel bad really, giving him all this attention for nothing.

:iagree:

91sleeperRS 05-20-2006 09:44 PM

that spoiler and paint on those wheels will haunt my dreams forever

Zepher 05-20-2006 10:27 PM

I think it looks pretty neat, but he should have gone with the RA1 hood. RA2 just doesn't blend right with a car with no GFX.
He should have painted the center caps as well.
other than that, it looks pretty cool.

http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formula/c5-03.jpg

http://www.transamws6.com/pics/formu...ro-parking.jpg

srdynamics1 05-20-2006 11:01 PM

http://www.qv500.com/Lamborghini%20M...o%20P5%203.jpg
I bet he gets laughed at by all the long grain haters

CrazyHawaiian 05-21-2006 02:58 AM

I guess the main difference between those pictures of real GT cars and the car in question here is the application. Those real GT cars are on real tracks doing real GT racing. Of course the rear wing makes sense for that application, so does the rear air defuser and all the other aero on the car. But the car in this thread is different. From everything I've read it seems to me the wing was put on because the owner likes the look. Nothing wrong with that. But when you guys post pictures of real GT cars to try and prove a point about functionality, I dont think it counts because its two different applications. The owner of the car in this thread is interested in running a fast 1/4 mile time, not getting faster lap times on a road course. It does not appear he is interested in any types of racing that involve the GT style in a functional form. He even said he would take the wing off if he went for that 10 sec 1/4 mile pass. Its just for looks guys. No wrong answer there, its all personal preferance.

One thing I thought was funny about this thread, people keep refering to the C5 wheels as "Honda Wheels" or "***** Wheels" because they were painted. Halarious!! And to the owner, no I wasnt kidding about lowering the car more. The wheel gap there ruins the look you are attempting to portray in my opinion, so does the lack of aero on the body. Here's a pic of my rear wheel gap, even this is too much --> Clicky

littleTAkid82 05-21-2006 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyHawaiian
... Nothing wrong with that. But when you guys post pictures of real GT cars to try and prove a point about functionality, I dont think it counts because its two different applications. The owner of the car in this thread is interested in running a fast 1/4 mile time, not getting faster lap times on a road course. It does not appear he is interested in any types of racing that involve the GT style in a functional form. ...

One thing I thought was funny about this thread, people keep refering to the C5 wheels as "Honda Wheels" or "***** Wheels" because they were painted. Halarious!! And to the owner, no I wasnt kidding about lowering the car more. The wheel gap there ruins the look you are attempting to portray in my opinion, so does the lack of aero on the body. Here's a pic of my rear wheel gap, even this is too much --> Clicky

I guess you havent read far enough into any post I have posted on here, or the website that was on the very 1st post. I am not into fast 1/4 mile times only. If I was, i wouldnt have Draco lowering springs, performance Bilstein struts all around, 13 inch brakes all around, polyurethane bushings, and steel A arm bushings. I wanted a car that could perform all around, not just do good in one area. Otherwise its no fun. Any car can go fast in a straight line, but it takes more thought to turn. I took my car around a [not slow] parade lap at Road Atlanta for the Year One Experience a month or so ago, and the car performed pretty good. I was surprised.
As for the lowering- I scrape my front air thing on my car going up driveways occasionally. If i lowered it, lets say, an inch all the way around, i would have like 3/4" before i hit the inside of the fender on the front. That isnt enough. You have a body kit, which seems to give the car a lower look. If i had that kit, the front spoiler would be about 2 inches lower. That would almost hit the ground, and look like a car with airbags.
I dont know what you're thinking, but I think the stance is PERFECT.

sasser43 05-21-2006 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by littleTAkid82
I guess you havent read far enough into any post I have posted on here, or the website that was on the very 1st post. I am not into fast 1/4 mile times only. If I was, i wouldnt have Draco lowering springs, performance Bilstein struts all around, 13 inch brakes all around, polyurethane bushings, and steel A arm bushings. I wanted a car that could perform all around, not just do good in one area. Otherwise its no fun. Any car can go fast in a straight line, but it takes more thought to turn. I took my car around a [not slow] parade lap at Road Atlanta for the Year One Experience a month or so ago, and the car performed pretty good. I was surprised.
As for the lowering- I scrape my front air thing on my car going up driveways occasionally. If i lowered it, lets say, an inch all the way around, i would have like 3/4" before i hit the inside of the fender on the front. That isnt enough. You have a body kit, which seems to give the car a lower look. If i had that kit, the front spoiler would be about 2 inches lower. That would almost hit the ground, and look like a car with airbags.

No his ground effects are not the reason why his car looks low, just look at his wheel gap, or lack there of. Yours is nowhere near that low. If you added ground effects you would still have a lot of room before it looked as if your car was on the ground and i gurantee you that we would be able to tell that its not lowered and it in no way would look like it had airbags. Those wheels are way to big to not have it lowered.

Oh, and those front air dams even scrape on stock cars like mine. You can trim them and it wont hurt a thing. And since you have a ram air hood, if you have one of the functional ones, you dont even really need the air dam unless you have the air filter right where the air comes in on the hood.

And keep in mind, theres still some of the body underneath those ground effects, so you would not add the whole height of the ground effects to it.

srdynamics1 05-22-2006 12:00 AM

... and steel A arm bushings....

How is the ride quality with steel bushings in you control arms?

Zepher 05-22-2006 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by sasser43
And since you have a ram air hood, if you have one of the functional ones, you dont even really need the air dam unless you have the air filter right where the air comes in on the hood.

Air dam is for deflecting airflow to the radiator while moving, not for cold air for the engine. Remove it and you should over heat.

sasser43 05-22-2006 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zepher
Air dam is for deflecting airflow to the radiator while moving, not for cold air for the engine. Remove it and you should over heat.

I figured though that if there is enough air getting forced into the engine bay like that, they'll be enough to cool the engine more and still cool the radiator. Of course, i wouldnt throw the air dam away before i tested it.

CrazyHawaiian 05-22-2006 07:04 AM

Hey if I missed something then my bad but the only racing I saw mentioned was drag racing in regards to your sponsors. If you plan to roadrace the car, great go for it! I'm not trying to knock you. But it dosn't seem that way after reading this thread and your website. I dont see any mentions of lap times on roadrace courses or anything, no specs on the chassis that matter for roadracing (weight numbers f/r, suspension settings, etc). The reason I'm saying what I said earlier is because it appeared you wanted to built a car incorporating the newer styles out there (which derive from GT style) and people were giving you a hard time about the wing. I'm trying to say nothing is wrong with running that wing if you're doing it because you like the looks. But if you're gonna say that you're running it for functional purposes like these people are insinuating by posting pictures of real GT cars, then its gonna be hard for people to take that seriously unless you show that you're serious about racing the car. The only cars that do run wings like that for functional reasons are cars that roadrace. Me personally, I could care less. But this is what other people out there will be thinking (incase you care).

As for the suspension, well if you think the stance is perfect then thats all that matters. I thought maybe you would be interested in eliminating that fendergap considering the style you're going for. I know I like the GT style and my opinion, car is sitting too high for that look. But hey again, its your car and if you're happy then thats all you need. I know I wanted my car slammed, I wanted tucking instead of a gap (no this isn't bagged and yes its street driven)

srdynamics1 05-22-2006 09:35 AM

...like these people are insinuating by posting pictures of real GT cars...

I was insinuating nothing. I just took the opportunity to post the badest winged GT car ever. Thats all.
Personally I dont care for wings on street cars, but I do like em slammed.

purpleZ-28 05-22-2006 05:42 PM

heres my thoughts on it.
yes it is a r!cer. i say that because you have stickers ALL over your car, and probably dont run half of those "sponsors" products. your wheels are big and red, they stand out like a sore thumb.
you want 10 sec 1/4 times right? then BUILD a motor to make it to there, dont just give it steriods to make it there (nitrous). anyone can do that. so if you really think about it there isnt anything special or different about this car than any other. without N20 its as fast as my IROC, and my GTA will outhandle it anyday, stock.
:lock:

littleTAkid82 05-22-2006 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sasser43
No his ground effects are not the reason why his car looks low, just look at his wheel gap, or lack there of. Yours is nowhere near that low. If you added ground effects you would still have a lot of room before it looked as if your car was on the ground and i gurantee you that we would be able to tell that its not lowered and it in no way would look like it had airbags. Those wheels are way to big to not have it lowered.

Oh, and those front air dams even scrape on stock cars like mine. You can trim them and it wont hurt a thing. And since you have a ram air hood, if you have one of the functional ones, you dont even really need the air dam unless you have the air filter right where the air comes in on the hood.

And keep in mind, theres still some of the body underneath those ground effects, so you would not add the whole height of the ground effects to it.

Okay. We have a 89 turbo ta at the shop, and i was studying the underneath a couple days ago, mainly the front, by the air dam. From the core support down to the bottom of the spoiler, there is about 5 inches of plastic, from where it mounts to the core support. On my car, there is about 3 inches from where it mounts to the bottom of the spoiler thing. I know the ground effects arent a whole lot lower than not having them, but in the front it is different. And how many times do i have to say that when i feel into the front fender, there isnt enough room to drop it unless i had a bunch of neg. camber. The fact that the rear wheels are 18" compared to 17" front may have an effect of how it looks. But seriously, there is no room to drop it down. I dont want to scrape everything underneath, not more than i already do. The rear tires are 275, and i had to hammer part of the inner fenders in already for the wider tire. Im not lowering it anymore, and dont tell me any more friggin reasons why to, because if i do, im going to have problems. maybe your cars are different, and somehow have a bunch of room to lower the car so the sidewalls are inside the fender.
Im not made of magic, and neither is my car.

littleTAkid82 05-22-2006 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by srdynamics1
How is the ride quality with steel bushings in you control arms?

well i never drove it without them, so i couldnt tell ya too much.
Its not bad though.

littleTAkid82 05-22-2006 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by purpleZ-28
heres my thoughts on it.
yes it is a r!cer. i say that because you have stickers ALL over your car, and probably dont run half of those "sponsors" products. your wheels are big and red, they stand out like a sore thumb.
you want 10 sec 1/4 times right? then BUILD a motor to make it to there, dont just give it steriods to make it there (nitrous). anyone can do that. so if you really think about it there isnt anything special or different about this car than any other. without N20 its as fast as my IROC, and my GTA will outhandle it anyday, stock.

haha, looks like you've missed a lot. i just posted about my suspension.
IF YOU GUYS READ THE WEBSITE THAT THE VERY 1ST PERSON POSTED, IT SAYS THINGS LIKE:: Goals: 10 sec 1/4 mile, 1 G ON THE SKIDPAD, magazine quality vehicle for under $15k

Dont you think a 10-sec engine is a little much for a 16 year old? Also, i wanted more of a streetable car. i dont want something with 13:1 comp and a 270 duration @ .050 cam.. 12 seconds is good enough for motor for me, and n2o is just a way to say that my car CAN run 10's. who cares how i do it, as long as it happens?
idc if you are faster than me or not. I AM SATISFIED WITH WHAT IVE DONE.
lmao.. you say youre STOCK cars can outhandle mine? thats one of the most retarded things ive ever heard. Go do the damn site and see my suspension mods. i guarantee i could outhandle you, Mr. BS.
So what if i have SPONSORS? im 16 and have lack of funds. Do you have any sponsors? or do u have more money than i do?
ALL OF THOSE SPONSOR STICKERS ON MY CAR donated something. That doesnt make it rice. having custom stickers made that i dont even have a product of is F*in retarded, and Im not.
My wheels are big? lol. take a look at the real world of muscle cars and stuff, bud. Im not like chip foose and have 20" chromes all the way around.

The only person in their right mind in here is the guy who said that the air deflector actually has a purpose. The ram air isnt 100% functional at the moment, since it isnt connected directly to the air filter. But even now, the ram air wont cool the engine. ever hear of accessories? there is barely any airflow to the engine from the top of the engine bay, or at least where the air enters the engine bay. The RADIATOR cools the engine.
The guy who said i didnt need the air deflector happened to be one of the guys who *swears* that my car can be lowered with no problems in the fender wells.
Makes me wonder.
But for the record, my car was built for HANDLING and PERFORMANCE all around. not just for 1/4 mile. If it was just for drag racing, why the HELL would i put a wing on it? yea a dished wing REALLY HELPS in dragracing. i could care less about looks of it, as long as it works.

sasser43 05-22-2006 07:52 PM

wow, calm down. I thought you meant that you couldnt drop it any lower because the bottom of the car would scrape, not because your tires would hit the inside of the fenders. my fault on that one.

Trust me, air cools the engine as well. It takes the hot air away from the surrounding engine and out of the engine bay. Of course the radiator does most of the work. With an after market radiator, manual dual fans, and maybe an aftermarket water pump, you could make it work. Then again, i dont know why anyone would want to spend all that money on trying to get rid of the air dam.

You can always angle it too.

Zepher 05-22-2006 10:52 PM

here is a shot of my old 86 with no springs installed in the front.
The fenders are sitting on the wheels holding the car up.
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/06-2003/front_low.jpg

this is the amount of ground clearance it has.
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/06-2003/low.jpg

CrazyHawaiian 05-23-2006 06:04 AM

If you want to study your suspension clearances the GFX and lower air dam don't matter. You should be studying your bumpstop clearances, strut body to mount clearances, and tire clearances at both straight and full lock with the suspension loaded. The suspension points are what really matter, everything else can be modified. Sorry but there's no magic involved and all our cars are the same. That pic I posted of my rear fendergap, thats 275's and I didnt have to bang anything, didnt even roll the inside lip and there is clearance. Anyway, I guess that stuff dosnt matter because you're happy with your setup.

Also I think it should be said that all the mods in the world dosn't mean you're awesome. Especially when it comes to roadracing, seat time is what determines who is awesome.

littleTAkid82 05-23-2006 04:30 PM

Also I think it should be said that all the mods in the world dosn't mean you're awesome. Especially when it comes to roadracing, seat time is what determines who is awesome.

well duh, my dad is an ex- roadracer, i know it takes seat time. And im 16 years old man, isnt it obvious i have virtually no 'seat time'?
I never said i was awesome because i have mods.
I said my car is set up for handling more than drag racing. Im a pretty good drag racer, even tho its an automatic. But its got street tires so its not like i can launch at full throttle. I plan on doing parking lot autocross, and eventually road racing. Thats one of the things i want to do when i get older, is road race. Im not a retard, as most of you think.

Demon355 05-23-2006 05:19 PM

Just lock this thread, this kid is getting so much attention it's horrible. Negative attention more so than positive but regardless. It's his car, let him do with it as he pleases.

BTW, it's f*cking ugly, lol!

littleTAkid82 05-23-2006 05:25 PM

Just lock this thread, this kid is getting so much attention it's horrible. Negative attention more so than positive but regardless. It's his car, let him do with it as he pleases.

haha F*CK U TOO BUDDY!

:)

1988CamaroSC 05-23-2006 06:13 PM

:lock: :lock: :lock: :lock:
let the kid go, he did what he wanted to do with his car, he likes it, if we all dont like it, then get off the damn thread and stop looking at it. personally it IS a nice car, i dont agree what he did with a couple things, but so what ITS NOT MY CAR, its faster than most of our cars, and it will outperform most of our cars, i think the problem here is jealousy, and how this kid got all of what he has, for a mere penny of what we would have to spend, if it bothers you, move on, and go find yourself some sponsors, or get off this thread and go to work and make some money! :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: I know when this thread started i was on a different side, but for real back off now its rediculous.:bs: :bs:

Giovannetti 05-23-2006 06:26 PM

ok before t he thread does get locked i just want to add that i really wish you would lose the rear spoiler that is all riced out and get like a 5" spoiler from hawks. That would look teh hawtness. Other than that i dont know you were sponsered so i take my "ugly sticker" comment back. Congrats on your times and no BTW i dont think your car is faster than teh flamearo ;)

purpleZ-28 05-24-2006 12:14 AM

Agent13 05-24-2006 12:35 AM

haha F*CK U TOO BUDDY!

:)

Bypassing the language filter is prohibited. Please do not do it again.

Knyghtmare 05-24-2006 01:30 AM

Holy $#*% I cant believe this thread is still alive.

ND4SPD86 05-24-2006 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Knyghtmare
Holy $#*% I cant believe this thread is still alive.

MetalliCamaroRS 05-24-2006 05:37 AM

First, the word filters are in place for a reason. Don't try to bypass them.

Second, so many people are quick to post the stupid :lock:, but no one wants to simply click the https://www.thirdgen.org:8080/buttons/report.gif button to report the thread.