Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   When do you put your car away for winter? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/666076-when-do-you-put.html)

Ruckusz28 11-01-2012 06:32 PM

When do you put your car away for winter?

For those of us in cool climates, when do you put your car away for the winter? Ill probably tuck mine away in a few weeks providing it gets Nasty out.

I'm in Michigan and today was the first day I've seen the sun in a week. Took the iroc out for the first time since August. The car rips in this 45 degree weather!

BADNBLK 11-01-2012 06:37 PM

Re: When do you put your car away for winter?

As soon as they put sand or salt on the roads!

11-01-2012 07:28 PM

Never! She's too much fun!

Lmancha96 11-01-2012 07:39 PM

In Texas, we dont have a winter..... :lmao:

BlueZee28 11-01-2012 07:42 PM

technically I guess mine is always "put away". It sits in my garage and I think I have put 2,000 miles on it since finishing my swap in 2009.

I'M THE BATMAN 11-01-2012 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lmancha96 (Post 5415897)

Owe ,
Dam that hurt ,
Low of 29 degrees here in the chicago area tonite
, Mine is in it's winter spot . Not having heat is a big part of it's sitting . I will get a cover soon . And try and do my first heater core in a 3rd Gen sometime this winter .

Lmancha96 11-01-2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by I'M THE BATMAN (Post 5415904)
Owe ,
Dam that hurt ,
Low of 29 degrees here in the chicago area tonite
, Mine is in it's winter spot . Not having heat is a big part of it's sitting . I will get a cover soon . And try and do my first heater core in a 3rd Gen sometime this winter .

LOW OF 29!!! F THAT

If I ever moved up north I would probably go crazy

My body is not accustomed to any lower than 50's & 60's

nhgator 11-01-2012 08:06 PM

Sometime in the next couple of weeks,have a clean dry spot for it,just need to revive my old Dodge pickup for the winter months,couldn't tow a 2 place sled trailer to good with the 'Bird anyways.

fervernt 11-01-2012 08:15 PM

I can't, it's my dd x_x. wish I had a second car, but a walgreens paycheck just isn't gonna do it for me right now. On a bright note though, just found out my car has a posi while I was decoding my RPOs! hopefully that and the new tires i've got will help. probably gonna have to put sand bags in the back too. I am NOT wrecking my baby in the Colorado snow lol.

BADNBLK 11-01-2012 08:31 PM

Lucky for us CO guys the snow melts off the next day lol!

fervernt 11-01-2012 08:34 PM

Haha I know it. That's why I love it here. But when it does stick around it gets pretty dangerous. I think it's time to put comprehensive on my car. I'm not too worried about being able to handle the snow, I'm more worried about everyone else. The last thing I want is to go to work, come out, and find out that someone slid into me.

HankL69 11-01-2012 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by BADNBLK (Post 5415858)

X2.

As soon as they spread salt the IROC sits until spring, and then it doesn't move until we have enough rain to wash the roads clean.
It is a good chance to do any work that has been put off for lack of time or money. My only plans for the Camaro this winter are a thorough detailing and buffing. Maybe some new tires in spring, I checked the date codes and found that they are 11 years old. (had some bad experiance with radials that old)

onthedownlow 11-01-2012 09:37 PM

Both my Dad and Brother are patrolmen for the ministry of transport and work locally, so the first time they put down the salt my Dad and bro know because they are the guys who call out the drivers, and then they call me to tell me to put the camaro away.

ZZ3 Z28 11-01-2012 09:44 PM

Mine will be up on jacks soon to take care of a couple projects.

midnightfirews6 11-01-2012 11:44 PM

I've just been driving mine on nice days and parking it under a carport and covering it otherwise but whenever we get the first big freeze I'll probably store it for the winter.

I'm not ready for the withdrawals to start :/

iansane 11-02-2012 01:09 AM

Never. You'd be amazed what facial expressions people come up with when you're drifting around a cloverleaf in the snow with the top down with two rooster tails of snow spewing from your rear tires.

And I love driving my car too much to ever put it away.

2007xl50 11-02-2012 12:46 PM

I don't drive my car all that much, but I'm not sure I will put it away. I mean i'm not going to drive it with salt on the roads, but if we get some nice days over the winter and the salt is washed off I will take her for a run. We have had 7 day of rain and they are calling for a cold nice weekend so I think the tops are going on (first time is over 6 months) and I'm going to give her a run.

formula forever 11-02-2012 12:52 PM

Mine will be put away in prob december 1st. I usually do it right before first snow fall.

IMissMy86TA 11-02-2012 01:03 PM

2 months ago. basically when I am done going to car shows for the year. I put about 500 miles a year on it

88TPI406GTA 11-02-2012 05:57 PM

The GTA WILL BE my winter car ;) I am in the process of getting it painted and need to order snow tires.

The one going into storage is my 2009 G8 GXP...I can't stomach putting that one through a MN winter...especially since it is worth 10x more than the GTA :nod:

novadk13 11-02-2012 07:32 PM

Usually before the first snow, but this year its already in the garage getting too cold to have the windows down

DeathStarr89 11-02-2012 07:59 PM

last weekend... but this time i pushed it out of the garage to make room for other projects.

It'll sit outside this year under a tarp. :o

86WS6 11-02-2012 11:26 PM

We are not in the north, but live in the mountains, so we have salt/sand/gravel on the roads all winter. I never actually put the thridgens away, but don't take them out on the highway in the winter. I start both of them every week, run them about 45 minutes. I drive the TA's around on our property, up and down the driveway and in the pasture. I bring fuel (non-ethanol premium of course) in cans and top them off as needed. My winter driver is an old Expedition AWD. That Expy is my vehicle sacrifice to the rust gods.

Jet_91 11-03-2012 12:25 AM

I parked and tarped my T/A a couple weeks ago already. These Canadian winters are TOUGH on cars. One winter in my car and it would be a rust bucket by spring, and there's no way I'm gonna let that happen. haha

84 1LE 11-03-2012 12:56 AM

No winters in So. cal, hehehehehehe!

BumpaD82 11-03-2012 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by BlueZee28 (Post 5415899)
technically I guess mine is always "put away". It sits in my garage and I think I have put 2,000 miles on it since finishing my swap in 2009.

Mine is always sorta away also ! I think I did about 675 miles this summer ... last weekend I moved it from my house up to the shop for a few winter projects / tweaks :)

~DaVe

Ruckusz28 11-03-2012 07:55 AM

Detroit winters are known to kill a car. You're lucky to go 6 years on a new car before it starts rusting out. Looks like a sunny day today so ill take it out. Not too many plans this winter besides gauges, wheels, and a new carb. Time for the Holley to go.

sailtexas186548 11-03-2012 08:41 AM

never this is TEXAS!

skinny z 11-03-2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BADNBLK (Post 5415858)

What he said!

GPSkinzhut 11-03-2012 11:54 AM

went away before Sandy hit, now the battery is dead... thinking I left the map light on. Doh!

I need to move south. This blows.

punkmaster98 11-03-2012 09:52 PM

never lol, its the most fuel efficient car in the house and i dont like driving the honda

88blackiroc 11-04-2012 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by iansane (Post 5416107)
Never. You'd be amazed what facial expressions people come up with when you're drifting around a cloverleaf in the snow with the top down with two rooster tails of snow spewing from your rear tires.

And I love driving my car too much to ever put it away.

:lmao:
Mine is never put away which is just stupid to drive in rain. With that being said, I really cant wait for snow! Haha the only time my car will be "put away" is if its sitting in the garage without a motor in it.

Ruckusz28 11-05-2012 07:15 AM

Must be nice to live in the south. I love the 4 seasons of Michigan, but if I could make winter disappear I'd be stoked.

bestracing 11-05-2012 07:46 AM

I stop driving mine right about now, depending on weather.

Funny thing is, back in 1989 - 1995 I use to have a 67 Camaro as a DD and it never sat. A Muncie M20 and a posi out back made it a fun car in the snow and I use to be able to go everywhere in the snow with that car.

White93z34 11-05-2012 08:01 AM

Hopefully this week!

mantaguy 11-05-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by White93z34 (Post 5418428)
Hopefully this week!

:yup:

Sickness91Z28 11-05-2012 05:18 PM

Just filled'er up and added "Stabil" to the fuel today

hxras1 11-06-2012 05:13 AM

Put the vette away yesterday, and the ThirdGen is on jack stands in the garage, so it isn't going anywhere soon.

cvicha 11-06-2012 12:19 PM

Last Saturday. : (

gatorcola 11-08-2012 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lmancha96 (Post 5415897)

Have you ever been to Dallas in January?

PhoenixFirebird 11-09-2012 06:31 AM

As of November 1st, when I saw the Department of Transportation guys prepping the salt trucks lol. Drove it around for a while to empty the tank, and now it's sitting here waiting to be tore down. Should be easy to drop the tank with my guage showing empty ;)

eseibel67 11-09-2012 07:27 AM

I drive it right up until the roads are salted.

Took the car for a sprint out in the country last night. Wow, does it run nice when the thermometer shows 27* F.

IROCThe5.7L 11-09-2012 07:51 AM

I filled mine up and put Stabil in 2 weeks ago. Time to start taking the engine out over the winter.

ricklovin93 11-09-2012 08:04 AM

Unfortunately wednesday :( washed and waxed then went for a short drive, regret not driving it as much as i did during highschool, only put around 500 miles on it this summer, but thats life for ya,

Ozz1967 11-09-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ruckusz28 (Post 5415855)
For those of us in cool climates, when do you put your car away for the winter? Ill probably tuck mine away in a few weeks providing it gets Nasty out.

I'm in Michigan and today was the first day I've seen the sun in a week. Took the iroc out for the first time since August. The car rips in this 45 degree weather!

Back when I had a third car, would park it after the first freeze. Now it's my DD, so no parking it this year. Maybe when my finances turn around,if they turn around, I can get a winter car, but until then, she'll be on the roads all year.

Ozz1967 11-09-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 88TPI406GTA (Post 5416536)
The GTA WILL BE my winter car ;) I am in the process of getting it painted and need to order snow tires.

The one going into storage is my 2009 G8 GXP...I can't stomach putting that one through a MN winter...especially since it is worth 10x more than the GTA :nod:

Not to highjack a thread, but unless you live in the mountains and get 2+ feet of snow regularly, snow tires are a waste of time and money. Good all season radials is all you'll ever need.

Hal87 11-09-2012 04:07 PM

Last week end, put it on jack stands, took out the battery and put the cover on for the season :( 10-12 inches of snow on the ground now. Wish I had a third garage bay. And no, the wife won't park her Prius outside. Kinda narrow minded about stuff like that.

88TPI406GTA 11-09-2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ozz1967 (Post 5421250)
Not to highjack a thread, but unless you live in the mountains and get 2+ feet of snow regularly, snow tires are a waste of time and money. Good all season radials is all you'll ever need.

LOL...Wrong....If I lived in the mountains and got that kind of snow...I would have studded snow tires (illegal here in MN)...and drive a 4x4 truck.

Since I live outside of a major metropolitan area (in a town of about 4,500)...the main problems when we get snow accumulation is wind/blowing snow. The roads ice over like crazy and can take a week or more to fully de-ice (with proper salt and sun). Plus there are things like black ice to contend with. Let's not forget that actually getting the snow plow drivers to fully clear roads of snow can take a day or two.

I have used snow tires on FWD vehicles and RWD alike...the best answer is that it depends on where you live. The best reason to use them where I live in the minor elevation changes, stopping and starting, etc. The change in grip/traction is pretty amazing when you need it.

PhoenixFirebird 11-09-2012 04:44 PM

I'm too hard on the throttle to get any sort of traction on wet roads, let alone snow lol. :D

88TPI406GTA 11-09-2012 04:46 PM

My hope is for a winter in MN like last winter...very little total snow accumulation overall (icy roads pretty often).