Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Can I store car products in freezing temps/ winter (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/693572-can-i-store-car.html)

T/Atime 12-10-2013 08:45 PM

Can I store car products in freezing temps/ winter

Does anyone clean out there garage for winter.... Clean out all paints waxes, polishes..... List goes on

N_da_Mood 12-10-2013 10:02 PM

Re: Can I store car products in freezing temps/ winter

Personally I never have but I am not sure it stays cold here long enough to freeze everything..

stealtht/a 12-11-2013 06:38 AM

Most products are fine, the worst it will do is seperate a little.
Anything with epoxy must be brought back to room temp before use.
Paint can be ruined by freezing and also must be brought back to room temp before use.
Aerosols can often lose their charge as the shrinkage can allow air escape.

Base91 12-11-2013 10:37 AM

Rubber and plastic don't like being frozen. Shouldn't affect metal but should be kept dry. Freezing garage is one thing that's not an issue in this part of the people's republic.

stealtht/a 12-11-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Base91 (Post 5680016)
Rubber and plastic don't like being frozen. Shouldn't affect metal but should be kept dry. Freezing garage is one thing that's not an issue in this part of the people's republic.

Wow, do t spend much time in the cold do you?
Do you think the cars we drive here in vt don't have rubber and plastic in them?
Neither care about being frozen if left alone, some plastics get more brittle in extreme cold so you don't want to flex them, but most of the plastics and rubber in cars are designed for much less than zero.

I think the op was only talking about supplies anyway.

I love it how all the mild climate people on the forum are the first to respond when people ask about freezing temps or winter driving or snow tires.

mantaguy 12-11-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by stealtht/a (Post 5680035)
Wow, do t spend much time in the cold do you?
Do you think the cars we drive here in vt don't have rubber and plastic in them?
Neither care about being frozen if left alone, some plastics get more brittle in extreme cold so you don't want to flex them, but most of the plastics and rubber in cars are designed for much less than zero.

I think the op was only talking about supplies anyway.

I love it how all the mild climate people on the forum are the first to respond when people ask about freezing temps or winter driving or snow tires.

:yup:
I assume they don't get this kind of weather
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pict...ictureid=44494

This fell This Sunday!!!

Base91 12-11-2013 04:59 PM

I was born and raised in the cold which is why I don't spend any time in it unless I'm snowboarding! Of course rubber and plastic are used in the cold but they still don't like it and are more easily damaged if stored badly.

lordmetalz28 12-11-2013 05:25 PM

NO! i live in upstate NY and haven't had a problem in the 20 years Ive been detailing up my cars.

stealtht/a 12-11-2013 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Base91 (Post 5680183)
I was born and raised in the cold which is why I don't spend any time in it unless I'm snowboarding! Of course rubber and plastic are used in the cold but they still don't like it and are more easily damaged if stored badly.

Your snowboard gear has rubber and plastic in it, seems to do ok in Your cold.
My point is your comment isn't very useful in its over generalization.
plastics and rubbers are sensitive to SOME degree of cold. The plastics used in cars will only exhibit different characteristics in REALLY cold weather, like -50 or so. Even then, if you don't try and flex it, no problem.
So what is your helpful advice to the OP, take all the plastic and rubber out of his garage and bring it inside? Wrap a blanket around it?
The problems sometimes seen in cracking dashes, etc, aren't from cold, they're from extreme temp changes in too short a time. Not really a problem in a garage.

To the OP, really everything will be ok, even paint isn't usually damaged by being stored cold, it's just cycling it through extreme temps or trying to use it cold that's the problem.

T/Atime 12-11-2013 09:00 PM

I had to re read my original post. All I'm asking is for people that live in cold winters, (example -35) to share there experience with storing paint, waxes... Still in the can or bottle.

Plastic is ok, really! I don't mind if my plastic window trim on my garage door freezes.

mantaguy 12-12-2013 11:46 AM

I don't store Paints,Glues or anything that says"Keep From Freezing" on the labels,it's there for a reason.:nod:

88gunmetalgta 12-12-2013 12:16 PM

As said before, bring in paints and aerosols. Also, batteries that don't have much of a charge shouldn't be left out in the cold.

I would say you don't have to bring your tires inside for the winter though :crazy:

Valid point about plastic though. If you plan on working with it (electrical connectors and such), its gonna be brittle. I've even cracked wire insulation before due to extreme cold. Also once brought a ratchet into the warm garage to use and the head of the ratchet cracked, (I guess from thawing too quick + the load from tightening a bolt).

6SIX6 12-12-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mantaguy (Post 5680100)
:yup:
I assume they don't get this kind of weather
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pict...ictureid=44494

This fell This Sunday!!!

Oh i feel you pain in everyway when I see this when I wake up

Tibo 12-12-2013 10:46 PM

In my opinion there are some things that are almost useless after freezing: body filler, spray wax, cheap grease. I have a wizards buffing compound that hasn't been worth a darn since it froze but I was new to that brand so it could have been a coincidence.

oaklandfuelman 01-07-2014 09:01 AM

i bring everything inside i left it in the garage the first year (never had a garage befour) & most of it was junk after that the liquid car wax seem to be the worst got clumps in it the armor all sperated & was useless also spray cans were dead no charge left even though they were still full of paint

okfoz 01-08-2014 04:08 PM

I had a can of the "liquid glass" go bad when it froze... it seperated and I never got it back to normal... got a new can