Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   4th Gen Interior/Exterior compatibilty List (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/221095-4th-gen-interior-exterior.html)

alloy 02-02-2007 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the 4th gen belt and 82 sill plate installed. Worked out well for me. The 4th gen belt retracts so easily compaired to my old ones. Had to pull lthe seat out to get everything in, now time for a little cleaning/vacuming and it will be done.

Attachment 447303

roughskinjrz 02-10-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by zackz28 (Post 2058537)
nope the brake handle will not bolt up, you will need the entire lever from a 4th gen......

so if i had the whole assembly from a 4th gen it will bolt up in my 86 t/a?

has anyone done this

Firebat 02-11-2007 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by roughskinjrz (Post 3222022)
so if i had the whole assembly from a 4th gen it will bolt up in my 86 t/a?

has anyone done this

I've put in the 4th gen brake handle. It bolts right in. Although I'm using 4th gen e-brake cables from the handle to the rear disk brakes. The cables are the tricky part, you have to make your own e-brake braket(for underneath car) or get one cut out from a 4th gen.

roughskinjrz 02-26-2007 08:46 PM

well i just put in all new e-brake cables but they arent for 4th gen, they are just replacements for my 86. i have the 4th gen e-brake handle, and whole assembly unit i got from a 2001 camaro. so this will all bolt right in, just wondering if the cable will hook up to the 4th gen assembly unit with ease, im sure i can think of something if not.

transamrob86 03-24-2007 12:57 AM

Re: 4th Gen Interior/Exterior compatibilty List

I have looked thru here many times and havent seen anything and maybe i missed it but what are the mods needed to install the 4th gen dash.. not electrically but physically. and does anybody have any pics of 4th gen door panels on their car?

VonKaiser 04-09-2007 09:26 PM

Very interesting thread. I was just looking to put in 4th gen seats but now that I know you can basically get the dash and console to fit my 3rd gen I'm going to definately do that now.

My question is to the people who've successfully done the 4th gen dash/console swap; what year donor car did you use and what was the biggest headache involved in doing the swap? I'd like to know what the BEST year(s) is(are) to put in my '90 RS Automatic with the least amount of headaches. :lmao:

91 camaro racer 04-26-2007 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JR86-TA (Post 1663424)
Also:

4th gen side mirrors with slight modification.

how much modifaction is needed?

Zepher 04-26-2007 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by transamrob86 (Post 3275794)
I have looked thru here many times and havent seen anything and maybe i missed it but what are the mods needed to install the 4th gen dash.. not electrically but physically. and does anybody have any pics of 4th gen door panels on their car?

The dash pretty much bolts right in, just need to drill a few holes in the upper firewall area(right under the windshield) to match the holes in the 4th gen dash since they were spaced a few inches different.
Then you just have to modify the two brackets on the edges of the dash (next to the kickpanels) to match the studs on the body.

racer J 05-04-2007 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zepher (Post 3318538)
The dash pretty much bolts right in, just need to drill a few holes in the upper firewall area(right under the windshield) to match the holes in the 4th gen dash since they were spaced a few inches different.
Then you just have to modify the two brackets on the edges of the dash (next to the kickpanels) to match the studs on the body.

That's it? I would have thought some cutting would be needed with that gigantic dash.

shaolink9 07-02-2007 11:00 PM

heres one for ya wil 4th gen carpet wrk in our cars at all like even remotely?? if so how?

ghettocruiser 07-03-2007 07:45 AM

Well....it would physically sit in the car, but nothing would fit the way you want it to... Floor pans are different enough along with other things that it wont fit.

alloy!!!!!!! That is the best piece of info Ive seen yet!!!! I never knew the 82's were like that. I never did take the retractor covers apart to try to make them work, but I like this idea 1000 times better. Wow...good stuff!!

Justin

mxcrazed 10-30-2007 12:00 AM

someone already said that the 4th gen kick panel works so you don't have to get one out of an 82

i think some of you guys should just buy a whole 4th gen you'll spend less if you get a v6 at least if you got one from mass sad a 96 bird for 900 once pul the interior and whatever else then junk or part it

mjwadams 03-01-2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3.1EyeCandy (Post 1661871)
Just to start -

4th gen seats are a direct bolt in. If you get power seats from the newer car, then just wire them up like you would any other power accessory...you may even have the stock power seat wiring under your carpet.

I installed 4th gen power seats in my Camaro. On thing that took a little while to figure out was that the seat tracks adjust independently. The tracks were out of alignment and adjusting them was easy one I figured out why.

For the rear seats, watch out for the center bolt. The nut is only tack welded and it is easy to break off if you cross thread the bolt. It is a real PITA to get the bolt back on once the tack weld breaks. Just be careful when tightening it.

For wiring the power seats, I just hooked the ground up to the bolt and the positive up to the stereo power lead. It is real easy to thread the wire under the console to the stereo lead, and you know the wire is fused.

358formula 04-23-2008 02:59 AM

you dont have a mechanical tach and speedo they changed to electric in 86

358formula 04-23-2008 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by bottledbird68 (Post 2983719)
Nope, you won't even be able to close the doors, don't ask me how I know this... :rolleyes:

the door panels will fit with the 3rd gen dash with the propper trimming and will still look fine when you put the 4th gen dash in if you decide to.

allgood 04-30-2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 89firechicken (Post 1768876)
i found that the corvette mirrors that were on the c4's work and there heated as well

will they fit with out any mods

alloy 04-30-2008 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by allgood (Post 3737894)
will they fit with out any mods

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...heated+mirrors

06andersen 05-01-2008 02:07 PM

i have an 86 camaro iroc and ne ways the dash pad or w/e is all cracked and **** so i have a 91 firebird formula thats recked but the dash pad is the same except for a few things i guess....what can i do to make the dash from the firebird work in th camaro??

06andersen 05-01-2008 10:46 PM

i have an 86 camaro iroc and ne ways the dash pad or w/e is all cracked and **** so i have a 91 firebird formula thats recked but the dash pad is the same except for a few things i guess....what can i do to make the dash from the firebird work in th camaro??

358formula 05-13-2008 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 06andersen (Post 3739538)

what all is cracked just the dash pad or the hole dash. The dash pads are exactly the same with the same bolt pattern.

Screamin86 05-13-2008 11:39 PM

not all are some of the camaro ones have a cut out looking thing on the pad for right above the vents in a camaro the birds dont have this thats the only differance i can think of

358formula 05-14-2008 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Screamin86 (Post 3754327)
not all are some of the camaro ones have a cut out looking thing on the pad for right above the vents in a camaro the birds dont have this thats the only differance i can think of

i guess ive never seen that im not much into camaros

Screamin86 05-14-2008 12:20 PM

im asuming the bolt pattern is the same but physicly there a lil diff

06andersen 05-15-2008 12:49 AM

ya i cant get it to fit...its a lil smaller also. of course the firebird i took it out of was a formula idk if that makes a difference...i think im prolly going to just get a dash repair kit or something. i wanna try putting the 4th gen dash and center councle in it sometime..that would be neat.

firebird896 05-18-2008 10:04 PM

K search the thread thouroughly but nothing on the trunk panels.

Do they fit??? I want to get that sub enclosures that go into the side panels from MTX cause no other companies make it as my research showed. The only problem is they dont make a product for our cars anymore(I think). I have not called them.

Anyone done it??

Hotdogstand 05-20-2008 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dieseldennis (Post 1789046)
I just called my used parts guy and he has a couple driveshafts from a 94 and 95 model. But they come from a standard transmission car. Are they different sizes than a auto tranny one?

Dennis

I work at Advance Auto, so I have a bit of time so look up aftermarket conversions. I'm pretty sure I ran across all 3rd and 4th gen driveshafts, auto and standard, 6 and 8 cyl., being the same, but somebody back me up here. I'll do some research and try to post back about anything else I happen upon.

Screamin86 05-21-2008 11:30 AM

the driveshafts work im running ls1 aluminum driveshafts in my 82 and 86 t/a

firebird896 05-21-2008 03:49 PM

Any word on those back panels

grthrawn 05-21-2008 05:47 PM

sail panels wont unless you want a six plus in. gap as far as the rest it would probably be close. the 4th gen rear peice is only a hdf coverd peice but looks almost the same. in the procses of putting my dash now

1fastiroc-z 05-28-2008 09:30 PM

Will a 4gen auto shifter fit in a 3rdgen console?

Firebat 05-28-2008 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastiroc-z (Post 3771655)
Will a 4gen auto shifter fit in a 3rdgen console?

Doubt it because a 3rd gen shifter won't work with a 4th gen auto console. The shifter is in a different spot when its mounted. I'm leaning towards no but I don't know for sure.

firebird896 05-28-2008 10:22 PM

It will work but theres lots of cutting to do on it

1fastiroc-z 05-29-2008 08:21 AM

Does any one have any pics of the 4gen shifter in a 3gen. What requires cutting the console??

358formula 05-29-2008 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Firebat (Post 3771706)
Doubt it because a 3rd gen shifter won't work with a 4th gen auto console. The shifter is in a different spot when its mounted. I'm leaning towards no but I don't know for sure.

the third gen shifter works if you move the shifer down i have the fourth gen console in my 89 and im still using my stock shifter

1fastiroc-z 05-30-2008 10:19 PM

I have a aluminum drive shaft out of a 2002 m6 camaro are they any way to make it fit my 1988 camaro it has a 700r4 trans and a 10 bolt rear end.

Screamin86 05-31-2008 10:50 PM

bolts right up ive got em in both my thridgens

1fastiroc-z 05-31-2008 11:02 PM

you have the shifter or driveshaft in your cars?

Savannah Dan 06-04-2008 11:04 PM

Will a 4G steering column fit in a 3G?

DyingYoung138 06-23-2008 10:18 PM

Sorry to annoy anyone if this does, but I've sifted through here and was kind of confused by all the talk about the consoles... but...

I have an '86 T/A (auto) and was wondering if I could just bolt in a 4th gen center console without having to revert back to manual windows.

358formula 06-23-2008 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by DyingYoung138 (Post 3800475)
Sorry to annoy anyone if this does, but I've sifted through here and was kind of confused by all the talk about the consoles... but...

I have an '86 T/A (auto) and was wondering if I could just bolt in a 4th gen center console without having to revert back to manual windows.

depending on what year 4th gen console you get. i got a 96 firebird console and put my switches where the second gear start/ performance shift button http://photobucket.com/358formula

MY87T/A 07-08-2008 12:15 PM

Ok i cant find this. i took power leather seats and belts out of a 95 camaro. I have an 87 ta. I hooked the front driver up by changing to the fourth gen connector (i had GTA seats). The back lower seats didnt wanna work, i bolted it in and it stuck up so i had to hammer the U straight. Now they work. The front seat belts( my question) are different. Where the clip holder is different. It has a 45 degree bend and my 87 doesnt, its straight. Can i just remove the cover and bend it straight? And since my car has the floor mounted retraction thing, would it still bolt up even if i get 82 panels?

scooter 07-08-2008 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MY87T/A (Post 3815812)
Ok i cant find this. i took power leather seats and belts out of a 95 camaro. I have an 87 ta. I hooked the front driver up by changing to the fourth gen connector (i had GTA seats). The back lower seats didnt wanna work, i bolted it in and it stuck up so i had to hammer the U straight. Now they work. The front seat belts( my question) are different. Where the clip holder is different. It has a 45 degree bend and my 87 doesnt, its straight. Can i just remove the cover and bend it straight? And since my car has the floor mounted retraction thing, would it still bolt up even if i get 82 panels?

The seats should have been fine without bending anything. I notice when I bolt mine in they stick up but then I just have to push down and they tuck under the back part.
Seat belt points are all the same, not sure what you are talking about with the 45 degree bend. The 82 panels should basically be the same as the rest except do not have the notch cut out where the retractor would be. Essentially they would cover the retractor hole.

Screamin86 07-08-2008 10:56 PM

i have the driveshaft in my cars

frankq26 07-09-2008 05:05 PM

hi i have an 86 camaro will the interior harness form a 4th gen work im my 3rdgen i want to switch them becauseim putting in a lt1 and i want to make a dash and i have 95 z28 gauges and also will the steering columns swap between the two?

MY87T/A 07-10-2008 04:43 PM

Idk the belt that mounts right by the center console (the latch) on the fourth is bent and wouldnt fit due to the bend in it and it hits the seat. the side on mine has the retractor there and has that big notch. Also my rear seat belts mount down by the seats and the fourth mounted up on the fender well.

jbucago 08-10-2008 01:56 PM

when you click on this link WWW.TransAmWS6.Com okay a logo or a picture shows up of a third gen with a 4thgen either retro fitted or something i really like it.. is it possible or what???

scooter 08-10-2008 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Screamin86 (Post 3816594)
i have the driveshaft in my cars

Originally Posted by frankq26 (Post 3817308)
hi i have an 86 camaro will the interior harness form a 4th gen work im my 3rdgen i want to switch them becauseim putting in a lt1 and i want to make a dash and i have 95 z28 gauges and also will the steering columns swap between the two?

Originally Posted by jbucago (Post 3853065)
when you click on this link WWW.TransAmWS6.Com okay a logo or a picture shows up of a third gen with a 4thgen either retro fitted or something i really like it.. is it possible or what???

READ THIS THREAD. ALL OF THIS WAS COVERED! also :search:

Joes1wood 08-20-2008 09:12 PM

4th gen seats

How much more comfortable are the 4th gen seats than the 3rd gen? is it even worth the hassel?

wavekill00 08-24-2008 08:09 PM

Re: 4th gen seats

Originally Posted by Joes1wood (Post 3863762)
How much more comfortable are the 4th gen seats than the 3rd gen? is it even worth the hassel?

the hassle? there is no hassle unless you want to put power ones in, its no a complicated process, and maybe if you read this thread you would have already found this out

The_Beast 08-26-2008 09:07 PM

Yea its not too bad of a process. As far as I can tell, the seats are relatively the same as far as comfort is concerned. Even if the 4th gen seats were slightly more comfortable, that difference alone wouldnt be worth the time and effort (despite how little it may be) needed to do the swap, especially to go from 3rd gen cloth to 4th gen cloth. In my opinion, and probably everyone elses, the reason the swap is worth the effort is for newer, better condition, more comfortable material, A.K.A. 4th gen leather seats or to add power seats.