Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   need help with fender misalignment from jacking (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/660918-need-help-fender-misalignment.html)

dragsta 08-28-2012 08:29 PM

need help with fender misalignment from jacking

3 Attachment(s)
ok, i've never dealt with this problem before and i'm somewhat stymied. someone jacked this thing up wrong and the left fender now pokes out past the door jam. the hood rubs on the driver's side near the cowl and the clearance on the passenger side is perfect. i'm wondering how to get the right fender back in line with the passenger door without further closing the hood gap. included are some pics for advice on how to proceed. THANKS!

red rock 08-28-2012 09:03 PM

Re: need help with fender misalignment from jacking

That's such a common problem, I can't help too much, other then i bent the seam back straight to get the bolt out, then worked the fender gently back in and bent the bolt hole to match up. it isn't as bad, but still is out a little. Need someone with more experience to chime in.

87rattler 08-29-2012 04:15 PM

search "fender door alignment" lots of guys have had this problem and fixed it quite easily....for free.

VonKaiser 08-29-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 87rattler (Post 5365329)
search "fender door alignment" lots of guys have had this problem and fixed it quite easily....for free.

I tried that search and came up with someone using a frame machine which isn't free. Can you post what topic mentions how to fix this for free? :confused: Both sides of my Camaro are like this...

lmidden 08-29-2012 09:53 PM

i used vise grips and bent it back simple solution i also did some minor bending to get it back to the correct bow i had the fender off laid it on the ground and pushed it back apart test fitting along the way to see if it fit

t-top havoc 08-29-2012 10:22 PM

IIRC,
Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the fender, & the bolt(s) in the door jamb
Carefully bend the flange back into shape.

I recall there being a tread that went into detail.
If I find it I'll post the link

t-top havoc 08-29-2012 10:27 PM

Search-

Cost of repair jacking damage

Started by member-
58mark

Sorry I can't link front my phone but that's the thread you want to read

TTOP350 08-29-2012 11:13 PM

Just grab it with 2 pair of widemouth visegrips and bend it strait back down. Its not hard at all. I've even had to use a long 2x4 and hammer to get it back into place but it doesnt hurt it at all.

dragsta 08-31-2012 07:03 PM

OK.... i went under there with sundry tools of destruction and began making noise. the seam was totally smashed flat but eventually i got it straightened back out. it was then that i realized that the fender was bowed horizontally and it all made sense. -previously i thought it had a vertical bow.- so then i started banging the fender at the door seam with a sledge and piece of cork gasket material and the fender is now acceptably in-line with the door..... now i could start looking at the hood fitment.... the drivers side was rubbing on the fender near the door and i had about a 1/32" that i could shim the hood toward the passenger side fender. i installed a couple of washers and voila, hood now doesn't rub. so i fixed two BIG problems, rerouted some vacuum lines and hooked up the PVC, all in about 75 minutes... now i can seriously think about painting, The Beast. i fired it up again today and it sounds great.

red rock 08-31-2012 08:38 PM

Makes ya feel all fuzzy inside when you fix your own problems don't it? :goodjob:

dragsta 08-31-2012 08:58 PM

yes, especially when you have three projects going at once and sundry other home fixes on the agenda. i was glad it was a fast, easy job....