Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   What are people using for anti-theft? Recommendations? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/69559-what-people-using-anti.html)

bird67 12-04-2000 08:55 AM

What are people using for anti-theft? Recommendations?

I wasn't sure which subject to direct this question, so I am trying here.

I assume that nice 3rd gen f-bodies are theft magnets. Mine, being a convertible, should be especially vulnerable. I don't exactly live in a high-theft area (Maine) but keeping out the amateurs is always a concern anywhere.

What are people using for anti-theft, what are your experiences, and what are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Kagan
bird@javanet.com
1992 Firebird convertible
1967 Firebird convertible

Neo 12-04-2000 09:31 AM

I have a Viper alarm system, tinted windows, and use my rear security roll.

------------------
Current: 1991 RS 305 TBI
Past: 1990 RS 305 TBI (A woman forgot what red lights are for)
Current: mostly stock - newer 305 w/ 12,000 on it
Eclipse speakers all around w/ 10" tube in back
Future: 2" Cowl hood w/ K&N filter

Allan 12-04-2000 09:36 AM

I just have one loud as hell CodeAlarm that's been on there since new ... I'm thinking of installing a fuel cutoff system as well.

Paul Riccioli Jr 12-04-2000 09:42 AM

I'm installing a fuel and ignition cutoff switch into mine. They swithches will be hidden under the dash or in the console or someplace like that. Also Grant makes those removeable steering wheel kits. I think all of these are more effective than an alarm. People are so desensitized today that if they hear an alarm they hardly even look anymore.

------------------
Riccioli Performance Motorworks

--RPM Racing--

-Currently building first ever engine. 383 with Super Ram plenum and runners, Edelbrock lower intake, Bosch 24# injectors, either AFR or Trick Flow heads, MSD ignition.
-Will be installing Baer Brakes
-Will be installing full Spohn suspension in rear
-Art Carr 700R4 trans??

327 firebird 12-04-2000 10:16 AM

I agree with paul alarms don't really work anymore. They are pretty much considered annoying. It wont stop most people now a days. I have a MSD 6A ignition. Besides Horsepower gains and increased fuel mileage it come with the wiring to have an ignition cutoff switch as long as you get a 6A or better. Just wire the switch to the inside and hide the toggel switch and no one will know its there. Its cost about $125 dollars and can get it through summit being the cheapest I've seen. With all the gains you get from it its well worth the money

TomP 12-04-2000 04:03 PM

Viper alarm w/starter kill, and I plan to wire my MSD's starter kill up in the spring.

You can also add a starter kill switch to the park/neutral switch, if you have an automatic- it fools the car into thinking the stick's not in "P" or "N" when you try to start the car.

Here's a great hidden kill switch that I've yet to do: Find "reed switches"- they're glass-encased, magnetically operated switches... usually at electronics stores that sell transistors/resistors/etc. Then get some of those little magnets like you'd find at an arts & crafts store. When the magnet's near the reed switch, it closes the circuit. Mount it as the kill switch somewhere (inside seat, under carpet, under door panel, above headliner, under edge of door sill plate, etc etc), and velcro the magnet in place.

When you leave the car in a "suspicious" area, remove the velcro'd magnet and put it in your pocket. Voila', no toggle switch to find!

[edit] You could also adapt this idea (by Brent Franker) for your third gen f-body. http://www.fl-fbody.com/members/bfra...tarterkill.htm

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!

[This message has been edited by TomP (edited December 04, 2000).]

stingerssx 12-05-2000 01:29 AM

Every car thief, wether amature or pro, will automatically look for a kill switch. If you go this route, hide it well. You can buy kits like the magnetic switch that Tom P was talking about. And yes, most alarms are just anoying. If you get one, get a starter kill and hook it up to the ignition. That way, it seems to thiefs that your car alarm doesn't have a starter kill, and your car just won't start. There are thousands of ways to keep your car from getting stolen, but remember this: If you've thought of it, chances are that someone else thought of getting around it already and has.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...

Cntrvrsy 12-05-2000 10:21 AM

I have a Viper alarm w/starter kill and the siren is set 4 just the 1st siren sound not that annoying 6 tone crap that almost every1 has. I also have and recommend the CarGuard steering column lock. It's expensive but worth it. It uses a Medeco house type lock and key and fully covers the column.

Neo 12-05-2000 10:51 AM

They also make really high pitched sirens that you can put inside your car to make it unbearable to sit in there when the alarm goes on.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Neo (edited December 05, 2000).]

jeff 12-05-2000 12:03 PM

hey, where can I pick up one of those sirens that goes in the inside of the car that makes it unbearable to sit in it. Will it work with my viper system?

RSpeed 12-05-2000 06:52 PM

You can add a sensor that detects motion inside of your car in case someone tried to cut open your top.

Ward 12-05-2000 09:15 PM

The cheapest and most effective way to prevent your car from being stolen is to wire a switch hidder under the dash somewhere which disconnects power to the distributor. Basically, a kill switch. This will prevent your car from being stolen, unless the crook is really really smart (yeah right, thats why hes a crook), but it wont prevent your car from being broken into.

------------------
1983 Pontiac Firebird SE
LG4-Based Chevy 400
700R4 Tansmission
Modified 4 Barrel Q-Jet Carb
Accel Super Stock 8mm Wires
Edelbrock Pro-Flo Air Cleaner
3.23 Posi Rear
14X7" Cragar SS/T Wheels
35X4 CD/AM/FM Head Unit
100WX2 Amp
2 Pioneer 12" Subs in Custom Box
Third Gen Performance
"A four cylinder is only half an engine"

bigrobb 12-06-2000 01:49 AM

NO NO NO!!
Get a car TAZER It bolts on the stering wheel and you can position it in front of the stereo as well and shocks the h3ll outta the car thief.

Neo 12-06-2000 09:19 AM

When I got my system installed they had the high pitched sirens at Quality Auto Sound. They were made by DEI, the company that manufactuers Viper alarms.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Neo (edited December 06, 2000).]

TomP 12-06-2000 12:45 PM

Cntrvrsy, hey, I did that too! I programmed the siren for just two notes- as soon as they repeat, I know it's my car going off.

I have the DEI interior motion sensor; that thing is picky. I put it in the only spot I could... sometimes, it seems after the car sits for a while, the "field" expands through the passenger window. Someone walks by, and the alarm goes crazy. However, if I arm the alarm, I could walk by 1000 times, and it won't go off. Sigh... of course, it's a 1994 piece, I doubt DEI is selling the same unit.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!

RenoLB8 12-06-2000 12:56 PM

I live in a college town where people aren't pros, mostly just vandals. My roomie's 95 Monte Carlo has been broken into, kicker box stolen, and exactly one year later, beaten horribly (hood bashed in, roof dented in about a full foot). I have the Bulldog, cheap-*** hardly makes a sound really system, $50 at Wal Mart, but comes with two little stickers that go right above my door locks, and noon has touched mine yet. Gonna have to try Tom's hidden switch though, that's awesome! Also, if you don't wash a thirdgen for a few weeks, no matter how nice it really is, old body style + dirt = must be a POS.

-Reno

RMK 12-07-2000 07:58 AM

I have a 350lb guy named Olaf who stands beside my car when I'm away from it and if anyone get too close he says "Get away from the car mother ****er". I've found him to be quite effective. https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/smile.gif

Rob

------------------
1987 IROC-Z Auto (LB9)
Black/grey with kick *** looks

Mods
Custom exhaust. 4 Inch pipe from the headders all the way back to a single muffler at the rear. No Cat.

Future mods:
K&Ns
RAM Air
New Underdrive pulleys-either March performance pulleys or Auto Specialties Performance

soitsa305 12-07-2000 10:39 AM

I live in area with lots of stupid teenagers who are always trying to steal stereo's. So I bought a viper alarm system with a bunch of goodies. I feel it keeps them away. Plus you get remote start keyless entree.

85berlinetta 12-07-2000 01:50 PM

Originally posted by bigrobb:
NO NO NO!!
Get a car TAZER It bolts on the stering wheel and you can position it in front of the stereo as well and shocks the h3ll outta the car thief.

This is a good idea, or you could ground the ingnition some where and use a troggle switch. Unless the theif finds the switch it will be very hard to start.

RMK 12-08-2000 02:23 PM

Olaf hasn't let me down yet...

https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/smile.gif

Rob

------------------
1987 IROC-Z Auto (LB9)
Black/grey with the stance of a streetfighter

Mods
Custom exhaust. 4 Inch pipe from the headders all the way back to a single muffler at the rear. No Cat.

Future mods:
K&Ns
RAM Air
New Underdrive pulleys-either March performance pulleys or Auto Specialties Performance
Air foil

AAustin50 12-08-2000 11:34 PM

Viper system w/starter disable, tinted windows and a suspicious looking owner https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/biggrin.gif. Also, motion sensor flood lights are installed on our home in case anyone decides to snoop around, and I try to park in well-lit parking spots when out and about.

This guy parked near me yesterday heard me disarm the car and said, "gee, I didn't think cars that old had security alarms." ?? Uh...yeah, it even has a radio and air conditioning... https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/rolleyes.gif

'87 RS 2.8L/Auto

killrog22 12-10-2000 03:11 AM

do it the free way. Take out the staple that holds the shifter in place. pull off the shifter knob. under it you will find a white plastic shaft that controls shifting. take it with you. I did it, they broke my window and the key cylnder but i still have my car. all alarms can be disarmed. to keep the shifter in place, push the staple in *** far as it will go using only finger pressure so you can always pull it out when you need to.

killrog22 12-10-2000 03:13 AM

thats only if you can't afford to pay Olaf.

I ROCK 12-10-2000 03:36 AM

The dirty car idea has worked pretty well for me, esp with disabled VATS. I liked the idea I read on here the best a long time ago about just sprinkling some spent .45 shell casings in your seats...hehe. I HAD the number for that tazer but whenever I called they weren't there (it was a machine, like at someone's house...como se dice Ted Kazynski...) but that's probably the best bet especially with a separate battery just for the tazer(s). Oh, I also try to stare and growl angrily at anyone near my car when I get out and in...

------------------
89 Iroc-Z LB9 305 TPI auto 2.73 posi:
3" Dynomax "cat" back,K&N filters, TB bypass, 3" pipe in place of cat, cleaned and flow-matched injectors, 170' thermo, mild ignition mods, synthetic oil, kicker sound system, soon to have 3.73 posi...

RMK 12-10-2000 12:18 PM

killrog22

Yeah, but his rates are very reasonable. He has a little brother who's only 285lbs, I'll give you his number https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/smile.gif

Get one of those electrocution anti theft devices, teach the theif a lesson he wont forget.

Rob

------------------
1987 IROC-Z Auto (LB9)
Black/grey with the stance of a streetfighter

Mods

Future mods:
K&Ns
RAM Air
Air foil

stingerssx 12-10-2000 04:07 PM

If your into electronics, and older cars, you'll know what I'm talking about. Add another coil, (not HEI) and hook it up to a bare wire that's hidden in the seat!!!!!!

How 'bout that, Olaf?

Oh yeah, this too, tie a string to the door so when it opens, the string pulls on the trigger of a double barreled shot 12 guage.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...

kiztope 12-10-2000 08:20 PM

Ive had a simple viper alarm. It has done its job, along with a lot of prayer!

I am gonna need a better alarm system along with dark tinted windows when I get my subs installed...

TomP, that idea is awesome! Im gonna have to do that too! A magnetic switch, I didnt even know that they existed!

O yea, by the way, The camaro is no longer the most stolen car, we can give that award to the rice! so we dont have a whole lot to worry about our cars getting jacked, (that is excluding our stereo systems..) Our cars are just too dang easy to break into to protect our systems anyways.
Only the smart theives who want a wild ride steal thirdgens!

------------------
http://kiztope.50megs.com
92 Rs 3.1/T-5
KYB Shocks and Struts, Blue Streak cap and rotor, neato new radiator!, RapidFire plugs

An overhead console!!
Clarion Head Unit,
Pioneer 6x9's,Cerwin Vega Plate 4x6's
Its slowly but surely coming along....

AIM : Theonekiztope
Planetarion: 3GFB kiztope of kiztopia-Camera-92RS-A (33:6:14(?))

"No one knows until they learn" Leon Calrinsky (99)

84FTA 12-11-2000 07:38 PM

What I do is I have a kill switch wired into my coil feed wire and the alarm starter kill wired onto that so even if they find the killswitch the alarm keeps it away. My alarm has a battery back-up so even if they sit there and turn the starter until the battery dies the alarm will still be sounding off and killing the coil feed. When the starter keeps turning they usually can't figure it out and most don't know how or won't take the time to jump the coil.

I also have the club (hell, who knows, this system is mostly to discourage amatuers because any "pro" will take your car reguardless what you have).

The sirens are a good idea, another good idea I've had was to wire a line lock onto the opposite side of the relay for the HEI disable so when the alarm is engaged the front tires are locked up. Only down side is parking for a long time will kill the battery.

I don't have an alarm for the parking lot. I have an alarm incase a theif tries me at my house. Even when alarms were new features some people may look but very rarely did anyone ever call the police.

------------------
1984 WS6 Trans Am Hartop
Former L69 Car under restoration
1984 WS6 Trans Am T-top car
4-bolt main 350, headers, Holley 650, T-5 and 3.23's.
Daily driver and restoration

Russ-So Cal 12-11-2000 08:48 PM

Does anybody in the country besides So Cal have "Lojac?" It is a system that uses a hidden transmitter. If your car is stolen, you call the police and tell them where it was stolen, and that it has the "Lojac" system. The police turn on the "Lojac", and the transmitter sends out a beacon the the police pick up on and hone in on it. 90% of the time the car is recovered within a couple of hours of the theft.

Mike Harvey 12-11-2000 08:53 PM

I've only heard the name before but never knew what the hell it did. I live in Northern CA and don't know if it would apply to the police uo here. Do you know? If it does where can I get one at. That sounds like a great idea. Later bro

- Mike Harvey -

------------------
The '86 Firebird http://www.geocities.com/flash_point2002

PimpCheese 12-11-2000 09:12 PM

You guys should just get this one security system I saw on TV one night. It has hidden flame throwers under the driver and passanger side doors and when the door is tampered with it sets the bitch on fire! Its the funniest and most rediculous thing ive seen in a long time. This thing is real, has anybody else seen what imn talking about.

84FTA 12-11-2000 09:37 PM

The only thing you have to watch out for when setting criminals on fire or shocking with your 15,000 volt HEI coil is the theif can sue you and probably has a good chance of winning. Just like when burgulars get caught and injured and claim it on your home owners insurance.

------------------
1984 WS6 Trans Am Hartop
Former L69 Car under restoration
1984 WS6 Trans Am T-top car
4-bolt main 350, headers, Holley 650, T-5 and 3.23's.
Daily driver and restoration

88irocz28 12-12-2000 09:54 AM

Exactly my thoughts, 84FTA. That bastard thief can sue you for injury caused while lifting your car. You can not use deadly force unless your own life is in danger, and that too if you're being attacked and not when your attacker is backing off.

------------------
'88 IROC 305 TPI
Gutted airboxes
160 degree T-stat
Advanced base TPS voltage
Relocated IAT sensor
Momo steering wheel
Ram-air setup coming soon
Flowmaster muffler
Taylor SpiroPro wires
Accel cap and rotor

Reznor 12-12-2000 03:01 PM

I know die hard makes a car battery alarm thing. I think that might be the best one yet. It disables the battery in your car with the push of a button & vice/versa(so its like someone trying to steal a car with no battery)The only downside to it is that you can never keep your preset stations on your stereo or keep the correct time and god that pisses me off!! But its something to think about

Josh 91RS 12-12-2000 06:25 PM

I love toms magnetic switch idea, im definitely going for that one

Josh 91RS 12-12-2000 06:34 PM

Quick question about the grant steering wheel thing? What the hell do you do when you take off your steering wheel? Take a backpack with you to the mall?

91DropTopTA 12-12-2000 08:17 PM

I've seen something which is spliced into the brake lines and is basically a key lock. You push the brake and turn the key and it holds the pressure in the line. Now the brakes are locked. It can't be removed without loss of the brakes. You have to run lines into the car, how else do you push the brakes and lock it at the same time? But they aren't going to be able to get around that before the beeper alarm they set off brings me running with a blunt object.

sheet outta luck 12-13-2000 06:35 AM

i saw it b4 on tv, pimpcheese.....but my alarm system is FOOLPROOF, all you do is bust out all the windows, rip up the seats, make sure the headliner is hanging a few inches, rip out the stereo and where it once was- make a bunch of wires hanging loose(to look like the headunit was stolen), and whenever you park the car somewhere, put it on top of cinder blocks and take the wheels off......now no one will think twice about stealing your pride and joy!

soulbounder 12-13-2000 03:48 PM

There is also a new type of glass you can have put on your car. I think it's called supraglass or something like that. When a theif hits it with a baseball bat or some other object to get in, the glass with crack and shatter but it will not separate. It's like held together by some tough teflon stuff. You will have a busted glass but that's better than glass with a hole in it where the theif can reach in and unlock your door.

TomP 12-13-2000 04:39 PM

Glad you guys like my idea! https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/smile.gif Here's a source for your reed switches:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-lo...html?E+scstore

Click on "Switches (reed)"...

------------------

[This message has been edited by TomP (edited December 13, 2000).]

amagin86 12-14-2000 05:37 PM

When i approach my car, i have to flip up the liscence plate holder, lock the passenger side t-top, take the cassete out of the tape player, depress the cigarette lighter, Disable the kill switch on the clutch switch, tune to 98.9 FM, start cranking before the cigarette lighter pops back out. Later that afternoon it starts (like a time lock safe, i think)
seriosly though, i saw a post on one of the boards a while back about wiring the ignition or starter safety switch into the cruise control switch (making it a 5 function switch i remember being said).

clem
columbia mo

------------------
The world is full of stupid people...and I am no exception.

'83 Z28 5 speed (regrettably with T-tops)
'83 Z28 No T-tops (regrettably automatic)

Josh 91RS 12-14-2000 05:42 PM

My freind once had a truck that had a killswitch wired into the air conditionsing controls, you had to set the air conditioning lever to a certain spot for the car to start

junkyarddog 12-15-2000 10:48 PM

I think a three hundred decible marine air horn inside the car would deter most theives.

ViciousZ 12-16-2000 12:55 AM

Oooh, I just had an idea! Wire in six different ignition kill switches and line them all up somewhere convenient (like in the astray, if you don't use it.) Make sure some of them are upside down so you can't tell if they're on or off. Every time you get out of the car, turn three of them off. When the thief breaks in, he's got six different switches! What are the chances he'll ever get the right combination? Let's see, let me get my calculator... 720 possible combinations! Good luck buddy. https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/smile.gif

lonsal 12-17-2000 11:10 PM

I also have a thirdgen convertible and live in a high theft area (So-Cal). I have the Jacobs Electronic ignition system which includes an anti-theft system. If the small hidden micro-switch isn't triggered within like 15 seconds the car stumbles and dies. It won't start again for several minutes and again will stall. The potential thief thinks this Piece of C**P car isn't worth bothering with. My dad wired a kill switch into my mom's old car. Very simple. The switch myst be set correctly or it grounds out the fuse and disables the ignition. If the thief bothers to trace the circuit a small black box nder the hood would be found. Inside are several blown fuses. So he simply replaces the blown fuses and bingo, the car again fails to start! You see some of those fuses HAVE to be blown or it again grounds out the ignition. Now which ones have to be good and which need to be blown? Not tellin. Cheaper than feeding Olaf. Also I highly recommend either keeping the stock Delco GM radio or at least having it APPEAR as if it is still the stock radio. In my case I am using the stock radio, but have a Kenwood CD changer in the trunk that works through the radio via a RF FM modulator. If you want to upgrade your radio, recess it deeper into the radio slot. Then have a stock radio face plate complete with glued on knobs that is velcroed in place over it when you leave the car. Good luck, Lon.

Omar 12-17-2000 11:58 PM

6 different on/off switches is only 64 combinations. If each switch were to have 3 positions, it would be 729 combinations.

------------------
1989 IROC-Z 5.7L

FBODY-ADDICT 12-18-2000 07:40 AM

Get any alarm with disable and a Multilock kit, theyre a bitch to saw off and if a thief is willing to spend 6 or 7 minutes bypassing the disable of the alarm plus 10-25 min. sawing of the f*****g multilock he can have youre car and mine cause he deserves it.

My car has been broken into 3 times and and its just pissing me off. The multilock has a little scrape mark on it which is probably where they tried to saw it. They only took the stereo once, so I assume te other two times they just looket at the lock and left extremely p****d.

ViciousZ 12-18-2000 11:32 PM

Whoops, you're right, Omar. Only 64 combinations. https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/redface.gif I was thinking on terms of how many different combos there are for the plug wires on a 6 cyl. like 6! instead of 2^6. My bad.

[This message has been edited by ViciousZ (edited December 18, 2000).]

JoeG-89RS 12-18-2000 11:48 PM

What do you guys think about that Autolock that locks to the brake pedal? I know the club was beaten by freon or cutting steering wheel. What's the catch on the aoutlock?

1989CamaroRs 12-19-2000 09:16 AM

how easey is it to get a new faceplate, do people bother stealing the stereo with out the plate

------------------
Edelbrock TES Headers, High Flow Cat, Edelbrock Catback, SSM Subframe Connectors