Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/755268-gts-tail-light-covers.html)

George Klass 08-09-2018 10:27 PM

GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Some find them heavy cheesy, I love them!

I want to order a set for my car but have been having a really tough time finding more than a handful of pics online.

Would anyone know the part number for the ones on the blue Formula? They look like a 3pc set but all the descriptions for say they are 2. The ones on the blue car look outstanding but the 2pc on the black car look like balls.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c32e3b8d2f.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...03319672b2.jpg

Drew 08-09-2018 11:00 PM

Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

It's kinda weird, but GTS wasn't the only brand making covers in the 80's-90's. They just kind of won the battle of the tinted plastic with their ubiquitous logo. I've also seen examples where their product changed along the way. It's possible to have two sets from the same manufacturer that are different. You might have to just order a set and see.

kentuckyKITT 08-10-2018 05:09 PM

I used to have a 91 Camaro RS back in the day and I bought the GTS smoked covers for the front and rear. Couldn't see my tail lights very well and I couldn't see much at night with the headlights either. Although, it did make the front of my Camaro more aerodynamic! I think Knight Rider started the whole tail light blackout craze. I don't recall cars with those before that, but I never really bothered to research it either. I rarely ever see a car with blackouts now. I think it can be cool to bring back some old school stuff.

1989karr 08-10-2018 07:50 PM

i have a set, let me see if I can find the part number.

George Klass 08-10-2018 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6243204)
It's kinda weird, but GTS wasn't the only brand making covers in the 80's-90's. They just kind of won the battle of the tinted plastic with their ubiquitous logo. I've also seen examples where their product changed along the way. It's possible to have two sets from the same manufacturer that are different. You might have to just order a set and see.

I had a set of AVS brand light covers on my 89 Z24 haha. I've always been a fan of the blackouts. There is a part number listed for 91-92 Trans Am, 2pc as well. Sounds like it would be the nicest one.

Originally Posted by kentuckyKITT (Post 6243444)
I used to have a 91 Camaro RS back in the day and I bought the GTS smoked covers for the front and rear. Couldn't see my tail lights very well and I couldn't see much at night with the headlights either. Although, it did make the front of my Camaro more aerodynamic! I think Knight Rider started the whole tail light blackout craze. I don't recall cars with those before that, but I never really bothered to research it either. I rarely ever see a car with blackouts now. I think it can be cool to bring back some old school stuff.

Yeah, they are horrible at night lol. A bit of a cop magnet sometimes too. Always been let off when I would remove them on the spot. It's true, nobody rocks them anymore. On some cars they really good good.

Originally Posted by 1989karr (Post 6243469)
i have a set, let me see if I can find the part number.

That would be amazing! Thanks

1989karr 08-13-2018 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by George Klass (Post 6243489)
I had a set of AVS brand light covers on my 89 Z24 haha. I've always been a fan of the blackouts. There is a part number listed for 91-92 Trans Am, 2pc as well. Sounds like it would be the nicest one.

Yeah, they are horrible at night lol. A bit of a cop magnet sometimes too. Always been let off when I would remove them on the spot. It's true, nobody rocks them anymore. On some cars they really good good.

That would be amazing! Thanks

I forgot! but when I go home I will try get the numbers. I'm pretty sure I still have the box they came in

I believe the bottom pic is the same unit as the blue car but without the centerpiece as the two strips" in the middle is what keeps the blackouts in place.

I recall it being called a
2 piece unit" but it is actually 3......maybe they don't count the centerpiece since its not a light?

1989karr 08-13-2018 09:30 PM

Also, I believe the Trans Am and base birds had different part numbers as the Trans Am lights are more curvy than the base model lights. not 100 percent on that

George Klass 08-14-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1989karr (Post 6244121)
I forgot! but when I go home I will try get the numbers. I'm pretty sure I still have the box they came in

I believe the bottom pic is the same unit as the blue car but without the centerpiece as the two strips" in the middle is what keeps the blackouts in place.

I recall it being called a
2 piece unit" but it is actually 3......maybe they don't count the centerpiece since its not a light?

Originally Posted by 1989karr (Post 6244129)
Also, I believe the Trans Am and base birds had different part numbers as the Trans Am lights are more curvy than the base model lights. not 100 percent on that

You are 100% correct on that, the do have a different part number. Let me know when you get a chance! Very much appreciated brother!!

1989karr 08-15-2018 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by George Klass (Post 6244250)
You are 100% correct on that, the do have a different part number. Let me know when you get a chance! Very much appreciated brother!!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...074adbab1.jpeg

1989karr 08-15-2018 12:45 AM

I assume its the GT034! Lol

George Klass 08-15-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1989karr (Post 6244443)
I assume its the GT034! Lol

Yes, would be safe to say lol. Now I wonder if I bite the bullet and order the Trans AM part number. I will cry if it shows up without the center piece.

1989karr 08-15-2018 02:06 PM

That center piece has a tendency to slip out. Im wondering if that black car just lost the middle piece?

George Klass 08-16-2018 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1989karr (Post 6244544)
That center piece has a tendency to slip out. Im wondering if that black car just lost the middle piece?

Who knows lol. At this point I think I'm just going to install my 91-92 lights and maybe just get the set for those. That way I'll KNOW there is no 3rd piece lolol

1989karr 08-16-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by George Klass (Post 6244740)
Who knows lol. At this point I think I'm just going to install my 91-92 lights and maybe just get the set for those. That way I'll KNOW there is no 3rd piece lolol

The 91 - 92 lights are gorgeous!