GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards


Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
George Klass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 119
Car: 1989 Trans Am + 1995 Mustang GT
Engine: L03 + 5.0 HO

GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Some find them heavy cheesy, I love them!

I want to order a set for my car but have been having a really tough time finding more than a handful of pics online.

Would anyone know the part number for the ones on the blue Formula? They look like a 3pc set but all the descriptions for say they are 2. The ones on the blue car look outstanding but the 2pc on the black car look like *****.



George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #2  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (26)
 
Drew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Salina, KS
Posts: 16,330


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

It's kinda weird, but GTS wasn't the only brand making covers in the 80's-90's. They just kind of won the battle of the tinted plastic with their ubiquitous logo. I've also seen examples where their product changed along the way. It's possible to have two sets from the same manufacturer that are different. You might have to just order a set and see.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #3  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
kentuckyKITT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 377
Car: 3 T-Tops
Engine: 327/305/305
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42/2:73


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

I used to have a 91 Camaro RS back in the day and I bought the GTS smoked covers for the front and rear. Couldn't see my tail lights very well and I couldn't see much at night with the headlights either. Although, it did make the front of my Camaro more aerodynamic! I think Knight Rider started the whole tail light blackout craze. I don't recall cars with those before that, but I never really bothered to research it either. I rarely ever see a car with blackouts now. I think it can be cool to bring back some old school stuff.
kentuckyKITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 966
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

i have a set, let me see if I can find the part number.
1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
George Klass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 119
Car: 1989 Trans Am + 1995 Mustang GT
Engine: L03 + 5.0 HO

Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
It's kinda weird, but GTS wasn't the only brand making covers in the 80's-90's. They just kind of won the battle of the tinted plastic with their ubiquitous logo. I've also seen examples where their product changed along the way. It's possible to have two sets from the same manufacturer that are different. You might have to just order a set and see.
I had a set of AVS brand light covers on my 89 Z24 haha. I've always been a fan of the blackouts. There is a part number listed for 91-92 Trans Am, 2pc as well. Sounds like it would be the nicest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyKITT View Post
I used to have a 91 Camaro RS back in the day and I bought the GTS smoked covers for the front and rear. Couldn't see my tail lights very well and I couldn't see much at night with the headlights either. Although, it did make the front of my Camaro more aerodynamic! I think Knight Rider started the whole tail light blackout craze. I don't recall cars with those before that, but I never really bothered to research it either. I rarely ever see a car with blackouts now. I think it can be cool to bring back some old school stuff.
Yeah, they are horrible at night lol. A bit of a cop magnet sometimes too. Always been let off when I would remove them on the spot. It's true, nobody rocks them anymore. On some cars they really good good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989karr View Post
i have a set, let me see if I can find the part number.
That would be amazing! Thanks
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 966
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Klass View Post
I had a set of AVS brand light covers on my 89 Z24 haha. I've always been a fan of the blackouts. There is a part number listed for 91-92 Trans Am, 2pc as well. Sounds like it would be the nicest one.



Yeah, they are horrible at night lol. A bit of a cop magnet sometimes too. Always been let off when I would remove them on the spot. It's true, nobody rocks them anymore. On some cars they really good good.



That would be amazing! Thanks
I forgot! but when I go home I will try get the numbers. I'm pretty sure I still have the box they came in

I believe the bottom pic is the same unit as the blue car but without the centerpiece as the two strips" in the middle is what keeps the blackouts in place.


I recall it being called a
2 piece unit" but it is actually 3......maybe they don't count the centerpiece since its not a light?


1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 966
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Also, I believe the Trans Am and base birds had different part numbers as the Trans Am lights are more curvy than the base model lights. not 100 percent on that
1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
George Klass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 119
Car: 1989 Trans Am + 1995 Mustang GT
Engine: L03 + 5.0 HO

Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989karr View Post
I forgot! but when I go home I will try get the numbers. I'm pretty sure I still have the box they came in

I believe the bottom pic is the same unit as the blue car but without the centerpiece as the two strips" in the middle is what keeps the blackouts in place.


I recall it being called a
2 piece unit" but it is actually 3......maybe they don't count the centerpiece since its not a light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989karr View Post
Also, I believe the Trans Am and base birds had different part numbers as the Trans Am lights are more curvy than the base model lights. not 100 percent on that
You are 100% correct on that, the do have a different part number. Let me know when you get a chance! Very much appreciated brother!!
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 AM   #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 966
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Klass View Post
You are 100% correct on that, the do have a different part number. Let me know when you get a chance! Very much appreciated brother!!


1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 AM   #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 966
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

I assume its the GT034! Lol
1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
George Klass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 119
Car: 1989 Trans Am + 1995 Mustang GT
Engine: L03 + 5.0 HO

Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989karr View Post
I assume its the GT034! Lol
Yes, would be safe to say lol. Now I wonder if I bite the bullet and order the Trans AM part number. I will cry if it shows up without the center piece.
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 966
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

That center piece has a tendency to slip out. Im wondering if that black car just lost the middle piece?
1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
George Klass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 119
Car: 1989 Trans Am + 1995 Mustang GT
Engine: L03 + 5.0 HO

Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989karr View Post
That center piece has a tendency to slip out. Im wondering if that black car just lost the middle piece?
Who knows lol. At this point I think I'm just going to install my 91-92 lights and maybe just get the set for those. That way I'll KNOW there is no 3rd piece lolol
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 966
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!


Re: GTS Tail light covers for Firebird and Trans Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Klass View Post
Who knows lol. At this point I think I'm just going to install my 91-92 lights and maybe just get the set for those. That way I'll KNOW there is no 3rd piece lolol
The 91 - 92 lights are gorgeous!
1989karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trying to find gts tail light covers for firebird mikey8494 Body 12 01-24-2014 02:05 AM
[NJ] FS: New 85-92 Camaro Front Parking Lights, GTS Tail Light covers SLAYER6669 Exterior Parts for Sale 15 04-05-2010 08:42 PM
GTS tail light covers? 1989karr Body 4 04-28-2005 03:08 PM
Black out tail light covers or VHT tail light spray covers 91NiteRida' Auto Detailing and Appearance 5 12-27-2004 06:37 PM
82 Z28 GTS HEAD/TAIL LIGHT COVERS! HELP! nesluopetan Tech / General Engine 1 11-30-2000 11:42 PM


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: