Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Headliner (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/88302-headliner.html)

trans87 02-28-2002 09:44 PM

Headliner

My headliner is starting to bubble above the passengers seat. Is there anyway I can glue it back to stop the headliner from going bad? Any tips on getting it back to new?

BlueAlice91bird 02-28-2002 09:55 PM

dun dun dudun de du du dududu dun (supposed to be the dirge) sorry

Gonna have to redo it sooner or later

okfoz 03-01-2002 03:10 PM

your headliner foam backing is beginning to decompose, and therefore there is nothing to glue to. Its like trying to glue powdered Sugar.

Hint: DO NOT TOUCH THE HEALINER, everywhere you do it will eventually start to come down. it will happen sooner or later anyway but touching it will make it worse...

IF you have a hardtop the material will cost about $30 and then its all work. not difficult just takes time...

John

trans87 03-01-2002 08:53 PM

I do have the hard top. How much would it take if I take it to a shop to get it done?

sbd4de3 03-01-2002 10:24 PM

Alot more than that!! I heard a buddy once say a shop wanted to charge him 60 for the material and I think 150 for the work!

OUCH!!

Spend the 30 bucks and DIY!

My headliner was fine until I got here to Hawaii, (HUMIDITY) now its out and I am looking for the right material to redo it with!

Later,

Steve D in Hawaii

okfoz 03-02-2002 12:00 PM

to do a hardtop is a snap. First you will need the following:

snips
spray adhesive
a sharp Utility knife, or razorblade
the headliner material
A wire brush...
and your headliner

First you remove your headliner, takes me about 15 min, but I have done it a few times...
-remove the trim from around your door windows,
-remove the 2 (lonish) clothes hangers, pull up and remove the rear speaker covers.
-remove the strip that goes across the back of the headliner (4 screws)
-remove the 2 (long) screws that hold your rear hatch compartment trim piece.
-pop off the seatbelt plastic trim pieces.
-Remove 2 of the 3 screws on each of your sun visors.
-remove the dome lightbulb (have a rag handy to handle it its HOT HOT HOT, then sheetmetal clips that hold the Dome light. I use 2 screwdrivers on each side of it top loosen it, then I take a pair of plyers to pull them the rest of the way off.

At this point your headliner should be resting on the tops of the rear hatch compartment plastic pieces, and the 2 sunvisors.

-take the seatbelts out of the slit and rest them on the sides of the headliner board.
-remove the last 2 screws from the sunvisors and pull it out.

I have a T-top, so I reomve the T's and pull mine out from there, you might have to pull it out thru the hatch.

Make mental notes on how the headliner is trimmed and where it wraps around the edge.

Once the headliner is out and you have your new material, peal off the old material. there will be some foam still stuck to the board, so take the wire brush and scrub off what you can of the foam.

take the sheers and cut your headliner to the rough size.

I like to lay the material on the board and flip over half of it and spray the adhesive on the exposed side. Once you have ample spray adhesive on the board, start in the middle and rub the material into the adhesive.

flip up the other half you did not spray (glue) yet and do the same.

now you take your sheers or your knife and cut out your rear seatbelt slits & hole, and trim off any excess material that is not needed, fold around the edge the material like the orginal and glue it into place as well...

reinstall your headliner board and your done...

I do not think I missed anything...

John

BirdonFire 03-02-2002 05:45 PM

okfoz is the tech king! :hail: :hail:

labrat 03-02-2002 06:30 PM

I had mine redone at a shop it was $140.

da BEAST 03-02-2002 08:03 PM

Material

Where can one find the material. The local guy here used to sell it years ago but will not anymore. He said $150 to repair. I did it before and it is real easy if you have the material.

rocky383 03-02-2002 08:23 PM

Man, I can only imagine how easy the hard top headliner would be...all nice and in one flat piece. I would never pay anyone to do mine (T-TOP). They charge way too damn much. I got all I needed at Auto Zone. I used Permatex professional strength headliner/carpet adhesive and even used some JB Weld on the edges and water proofed it to be sure I never have to do it again.
:hail:IROC-Z

sbd4de3 03-03-2002 02:26 AM

Where can you get the headliner material?? We don't have any AutoZone's here in Hawaii and I need to redo mine! Where could I find some??

Thanks

Steve

okfoz 03-04-2002 09:07 AM

try JoAnn Fabrics or look in your yellowpages for stores that carry upholstry and or cloth materials...

John

Brak 03-05-2002 03:10 PM

try http://autoheadliners.org
or
www.headlinerkit.com

sbd4de3 03-05-2002 03:53 PM

Here is a tutorial I found on the site that Brak posted:

http://www.headlinerkit.com/camaro/

Thanks guys!!

Steve

Sheriff Frenchy 04-02-2013 12:29 PM

Re: Headliner

Is there any company that makes waterproof or water resistant headliners for t tops?

okfoz 04-02-2013 04:02 PM

Re: Headliner

Since it is the only aftermarket headliner I have ever used, hawksthirdgenparts.com their backer is made from ABS instead of the paper fiberboard...

John