Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   C4 ??? 1LE ??? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/637738-c4-1le.html)

aheld13 01-02-2012 10:10 PM

C4 ??? 1LE ???

OK C4 corvette brake calipers are basiclly the same as 89-92 1LE CAMARO caliper? what i want to know is if the mounting brakets are the same?

what im thinking about doing is running the 1LE rotor and C4 calipers

the C4 calipers are way cheaper and easy to find compared to the 1LE

//<86TA>\\ 01-03-2012 05:49 PM

Re: C4 ??? 1LE ???

i think the caliper is the same, but the abutment is different.

aheld13 01-03-2012 06:42 PM

thats what im thinking too... but not 100% sure

but im sure i can machine a bracket to mount to the spindle but it would save me time if the same bracket as the 1LE would work

frederzick 06-17-2012 01:37 PM

I looked the calipers and the brake pads up on Advance Auto Parts web-site, while the calipers have a different location that the brake hose connects too the brake pads they use are the same. I don't see why there would be any difference in the abutment plate as long as everything else you have is 1LE I think the C4 calipers would work just fine. Though your not really saving all that much in cost, but every penny counts. I'm currently building the 1LE brake set-up for my car as well, though I've ordered two set's of the 1LE calipers for the front now, to try and get a perfect match, since they are re-manufactured, you never know what your going to get. I now have two that match perfectly. Your question has brought about yet another question, just now what is the difference with the heavy duty over the standard corvette caliper.

Jeffs82TA 06-17-2012 01:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by frederzick (Post 5304374)
I looked the calipers and the brake pads up on Advance Auto Parts web-site, while the calipers have a different location that the brake hose connects too the brake pads they use are the same. I don't see why there would be any difference in the abutment plate as long as everything else you have is 1LE I think the C4 calipers would work just fine. Though your not really saving all that much in cost, but every penny counts. I'm currently building the 1LE brake set-up for my car as well, though I've ordered two set's of the 1LE calipers for the front now, to try and get a perfect match, since they are re-manufactured, you never know what your going to get. I now have two that match perfectly. Your question has brought about yet another question, just now what is the difference with the heavy duty over the standard corvette caliper.

heavy duty is 13" front rotors with a bit different caliper with different mounting abutment plates

standard is 12" and thinner front rotors

backs are the same though

heavy duty on left standard on right
Attachment 367342

heavy duty caliper
Attachment 367343

standard caliper (notice where the standard caliper is flat the heavy duty is curved)
Attachment 367344

frederzick 06-18-2012 07:19 PM

I can clearly see the differences in the rotors and the rounded portion of the heavy duty, just curious though if you used all 1LE parts then wouldn't any of the calipers be interchangeable since they all use the same pads, atleast according to advance auto parts web site.

*also just to note looking at the 1LE caliper, it is rounded just like the heavy duty vette caliper.

frederzick 06-20-2012 06:03 AM

So basically it sounds/looks like the calipers are interchangable, but you would need to stick with the 1LE carriers/ spindle brackets along with rotors, though I have seen a spindle bracket on eBay that allows you to attach different carriers/calipers, I don't remember what though. Also in my online searching I found a guide on installing the heavy duty c4 brake setup as well as other options. Have to look it up when I get home and put the link on here.

RBob 06-20-2012 07:34 AM

I'm not sure which C4 caliper you are referring to. But the standard duty ones aren't wide enough to fit over the thicker rotors.

RBob.

norcalz28 06-25-2012 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by RBob (Post 5306806)
I'm not sure which C4 caliper you are referring to. But the standard duty ones aren't wide enough to fit over the thicker rotors.

RBob.

Exactly. I went through this before with Ed. He explained it to me the same way. The HD setup uses a beefier rotor. I may upgrade in the future.

MY-92-RS 06-30-2012 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by norcalz28 (Post 5311532)
Exactly. I went through this before with Ed. He explained it to me the same way. The HD setup uses a beefier rotor. I may upgrade in the future.

Just Did this look at my earlier post this is using the Baer brakes version of the HD C4 caliper

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...ml#post5315713

:welcome: