Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Running 12's and 10's? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/233883-running-12s-10s.html)

87irocz350 04-06-2004 07:16 PM

Running 12's and 10's?

Ok, as some of you might has noticed..Im new to the whole sound system side of things. But, I have another question.

I bought a new Ultimate amp(335w)+Memphis sub(12",475w) audio combo, it sounds pretty good. But, I came acroos a good deal on a Rockford sub(10" 300w) and a Kenwood amp(200w) audio combo. So I bought it.
Could I run the 12 and the 10 together? Or would it sound like crap?

nibleT 04-06-2004 08:21 PM

you'll prolly get cancellation, meaning its gonna sound bad.

CaysE 04-06-2004 08:31 PM

What nibleT meant to say was you can do it if you want. :D You won't get cancellation (especially since they're not the same sub) as long as you wire them correctly. Personally, I think two different subs won't be particularly good looking, but it gives you a good range of sound to play with if the 10" handles slightly higher frequencies better. Go for it.

br()bert 04-06-2004 09:23 PM

It doesnt matter if they are the same sub, typical newbie comment their.:rolleyes: On paper a 10 and a 12 move a different speeds and this is what causes the so called "cancellation" I would stay with the 12 or the 10 but not both.

Boomin Boy 04-06-2004 11:10 PM

Originally posted by br()bert
It doesnt matter if they are the same sub, typical newbie comment their.:rolleyes: On paper a 10 and a 12 move a different speeds and this is what causes the so called "cancellation" I would stay with the 12 or the 10 but not both.
this is totally correct...generally most people wont have different subs playing the same frequencies. Now if you want to have your 12 playing 20-40hz and your 10 playing 40-75hz that could work but i dont think its really worth it. My first setup was 2 12s, then i upgraded to 2 higher quality 10s, then got the idea of putting both sets in together and it didnt sound too good at all especially when running all 4 subs off of an explode amp at 0.33 ohm :D

if you got a good deal on the sub as you said, it should be too hard to find another buyer for it.

CaysE 04-06-2004 11:30 PM

My apologies, nibleT; I was thinking of the kind of cancellation when you wire one sub out of phase of the other.

FyreLance 04-07-2004 09:08 AM

I'd sell the stuff and buy an entire setup that works well together. :)

nibleT 04-07-2004 09:39 AM

Originally posted by CaysE
My apologies, nibleT; I was thinking of the kind of cancellation when you wire one sub out of phase of the other.
no problem bro, we all have our own opinions.

Jim85IROC 04-07-2004 12:13 PM

The only reason the subs are moving at different speeds is due to amplitude differences. The fact is, the frequency is the same, and the phase is the same. There will be no cancellation due to driver size differences.

The problem lies in the different frequency responses and sound characteristics of the drivers. Because the two subs don't have identical frequency responses, instead of a response that may be +/-3dB within the passband, you could wind up with irregularities of up to +/-6dB. Furthermore, distortion levels and other differences that contribute to a driver's overall sound quality will be vastly different. When you blend the two together, you typically wind up with sound that's worse than the worst of the two individual drivers.

NEEDAZ 04-07-2004 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
The problem lies in the different frequency responses and sound characteristics of the drivers.
Amen....