Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   crutchfield says polk 4X6's wont fit in the dash (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/449880-crutchfield-says-polk-4x6s.html)

bigal's1991 11-23-2007 11:48 AM

crutchfield says polk 4X6's wont fit in the dash

i went on crutchfield and searched for speakers that will fit into a 91 camaro rs and it says the polk 4X6's won't fit... doesn't anyone have them in a thirdgen dash?

Zepher 11-23-2007 11:52 AM

Re: crutchfield says polk 4X6's wont fit in the dash

I had some Polks in my dash. I had to clearance the vent tubes to get the magnet to clear.

bigal's1991 11-23-2007 11:56 AM

did you just cut the vent tube? or what?

Zepher 11-23-2007 01:17 PM

yep, just cut into them and put electrical tape over the holes.
When you pull the dashpad off and remove the stock speaker, you will see where the vent tube (or should I say AC Duct) runs.

Darkshot 11-23-2007 02:18 PM

You may also have a problem on the drivers side with some structural plastic behind the gauge cluster. I didn't have to cut my air ducts to fit my Infinity 4x6 speakers however I did have to cut out a section of this structural plastic. It's a small enough section that it didn't have any negative effects on the integrity of the dash. It's really easy if you remove the gauge cluster.

Be careful if you grind through that stuff with a high speed rotary tool like I did, it stinks like hell and I'd imagine those particles of ABS or whatever that plastic is that get released into the air can be pretty bad for your lungs.

anthony64ss 11-23-2007 06:36 PM

Thats the problem I had with my polks on the driver side front. Theres some plastic shrouding over the instrument cluster. 5 min with a dremel cleared it. No interference with any ducts.

Gallileo60 11-23-2007 08:03 PM

Yep, dremel tool, and they go...im working on 5, and a 1/4's right now...a little more dremel tool, and I think they will go too....

The Project 11-23-2007 10:28 PM

The dremel "flex shaft" is a big help in the dash area. If you do not have I highly recommend picking one up.

85camarojunkie 11-24-2007 09:09 AM

yea they will work deffinetly i put 6" sonys in the wifes car. little buit of work but.... anything for sound

89_KITT 12-15-2007 05:05 PM

i have em installed in my dash. i have polk DB's 4x6 in my dash they fit kinda tight on i believe the driver side but i mean i didnt cut anything away but they fit like a charm and sound great :)

Iroctopless 12-15-2007 10:16 PM

An alternative to cutting up the plastic is to carefully use a heatgun.
- Protect the area surrounding the air duct with some damp towels (rags).
- Gently apply heat the plastic so it warms and softens slightly. Don't hold too close or too long in any one area. Test it frequently to see if it will bend.
- Then press and shape the plastic to give you room. A curved wooden block or even a large wooden spoon will work. You only need apply enough pressure to the plastic to give you the room for the the speaker magnet. Generally less than 1/2". Keep the pressure on the plastic until it cools and retaines the shape.
If all you need is just a fraction of room, this work well. I haven't done this for my car (it has a two piece component speaker system with a shallow mount mid-range), but I have done it successfully on a few other rides.

CarterCarbureto 12-15-2007 10:59 PM

OR..make a spacer, I added a 1/4" on my infinity's and they cleared with no problems

goomaan 12-29-2007 11:04 AM

I just replaced my system last night Sony head and Polk 6x9 and 4x6s. The 4x6s dropped in with no problem....

BTW I think I am getting old 'cause it is too loud.....:D

zact1024 01-03-2008 04:33 PM

you can fit pretty much any size 4x6s in it if it has the metal tray that holds it. If it does just jam something underneath to hold it up or bend it to make it wide or narrow enough. Thats what i do when speakers dont fit in mine

86irocterror 01-24-2008 02:24 AM

i have infinity kappa 4x6 plate speakers up front no problem. (4 inch woofer with a tweeter), the woofer is offset from center so they do fit better, but as a former installer i have to say the heat gun is the best thing to do. no cutting or anything then.

allgood 02-28-2008 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 86irocterror (Post 3612018)
i have infinity kappa 4x6 plate speakers up front no problem. (4 inch woofer with a tweeter), the woofer is offset from center so they do fit better, but as a former installer i have to say the heat gun is the best thing to do. no cutting or anything then.

which model