Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Stock?? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/558513-stock.html)

mister_hudson 02-04-2010 12:24 PM

Stock??

I see a LOT of posts about custom this & that... Is anyone using the factory setup anymore or am I the only one?

pascal_91ta 02-04-2010 12:37 PM

Re: Stock??

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mister_hudson (Post 4424388)
I see a LOT of posts about custom this & that... Is anyone using the factory setup anymore or am I the only one?

i still use the stock audio system. i love it.
i use my ipod with an casette adapter to listen my music from my ipod.
i love the look of the stock radio ! i also love the equalizer .

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0027_large.jpg

mister_hudson 02-04-2010 01:14 PM

I agree! It's not the most powerful but the "looks" can't be beat - conforms to the rest of the car perfectly! Plus I don't want to spend thousands on a sound system when the engine sounds so good!

my82roc 02-04-2010 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While mine is not stock to the car itself,It is indeed a stock gm delco cd player from an early 90`s buick.Both of my Iroc`s have this radio/cd player installed.I wanted to keep the stock look while also upgrading to a cd player.I too love the EQ on these factory units.If you didnt know any better you`d think it came from the factory just like that

Attachment 419216

bdle 02-04-2010 02:34 PM

I too have the stock radio in my 87 IROCZ. I dont really like aftermarket radios in 3rd gens. no offense to those who do. mister_hudsen, u and me think alike because i like to just listen to the engine and exhaust when driving my camaro

bdle 02-04-2010 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by pascal_91ta (Post 4424405)
i still use the stock audio system. i love it.
i use my ipod with an casette adapter to listen my music from my ipod.
i love the look of the stock radio ! i also love the equalizer .

how is that cassette adapter working for u? does it sound good because i heard that it doesnt sound that great.

pascal_91ta 02-04-2010 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bdle (Post 4424523)
how is that cassette adapter working for u? does it sound good because i heard that it doesnt sound that great.

it works fine and sounds good.
just a quiet hissing.

bdle 02-04-2010 05:02 PM

okay thank you. might have to buy one now. hmmm...

The Project 02-05-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by my82roc (Post 4424442)

Is that the correct stereo trim plate?

Looks like one from a 91 or 92.

1ADan 02-05-2010 09:33 AM

while the original stock deck in my 87's dead, I'm just going to be replacing it with the one that came in my GTP. Not looking to have anything crazy in the car, CDs and radio will do just fine (aux in would be nice too, but not necessary).

mister_hudson 02-05-2010 11:48 AM

Nice to see that there are a few of us out there that still snjoy the factory setup... For me it's all about the looks - I listen to the engine more than the radio anyway...

Iroctopless 02-05-2010 12:33 PM

I'm running an aftermarket headunit but the factory wiring is 100% and the original headunit is on a shelf in my garage.

mister_hudson 02-05-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Iroctopless (Post 4425522)
I'm running an aftermarket headunit but the factory wiring is 100% and the original headunit is on a shelf in my garage.

There is quite a market for the original units if you ever want to sell it... I have seen the yellow lettered CD players for a 92 go for close to $300!

whatever84 02-05-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by my82roc (Post 4424442)
While mine is not stock to the car itself,It is indeed a stock gm delco cd player from an early 90`s buick.Both of my Iroc`s have this radio/cd player installed.I wanted to keep the stock look while also upgrading to a cd player.I too love the EQ on these factory units.If you didnt know any better you`d think it came from the factory just like that

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...c/IMG_3385.jpg

I think I might look into that. My stock stereo has the EQ also. But my car is not a daily driver so I'm usually listening to the motor but every now and then I want to listen to a CD.

Mark.

itsMikey 02-05-2010 04:02 PM

couldent stand listening to the stock deck anymore...my car is my only car cuz im only 17 so i had to get rid of that thing :P still have it tho...lol

8t2 z-chev 02-05-2010 07:14 PM

the head unit in mine is a modified '84 vette/'84 cadi
hybrid,so it looks stock at 1st glance, but sends signal
to "old skool'80s"system of around 400w:thumbsup:
just flat rocks!;)

my82roc 02-05-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Project (Post 4425252)
Is that the correct stereo trim plate?

Looks like one from a 91 or 92.

Your very observant.It is indeed a 91-92 style trim bezel.I have them in both my irocs.I prefer the rounded corners over the square ones

babygrand 02-14-2010 12:57 PM

I to like the look of a stock stereo. Just got a'92 'vert and the stereo look like something from a bad scifi movie. I would like to put a delco cd player in, what other years and or models will fit right in? I found the stock one that the car came with (rpo U1C) on ebay but it's a little too much for right now, just want something that looks stock. Thanks

mister_hudson 02-14-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by babygrand (Post 4436138)
I to like the look of a stock stereo. Just got a'92 'vert and the stereo look like something from a bad scifi movie. I would like to put a delco cd player in, what other years and or models will fit right in? I found the stock one that the car came with (rpo U1C) on ebay but it's a little too much for right now, just want something that looks stock. Thanks

Welcome! You've got a great ride - nothing like a 'vert! Get some pictures up for us to see!

I agree with - GM did a good job with this one... Not the loudest or best sounding but it fits the car very well!

Be patient - they come around every so often... I picked up a tape deck off of craigslist last year pretty cheap - a few months later I found the Delco CD Player and that's what I have in her now... I sold the tape deck not to long ago - keep your eyes open, they're out there!

If you really want one and have the cash post an add in the "Interior Parts Wanted" section - a lot of the guys on here have one in their garage taking up space...

Al Hasse 02-14-2010 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Quite a few of the Delco TheftLock units will fit with no modifications, except for maybe the harness on the back depending on the year of your car. I think one from a 4th gen bolts right in, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I have one in my 89 RS that came from a 2002 GMC/Chevy truck. All I had to do was remove the slide mounts from the sides and fab up some mounting brackets from some angle stock aluminum.

Attachment 418702

babygrand 02-14-2010 02:49 PM

Thanks. Bremerton? I'm in Poulsbo small world, Dan

my82roc 02-14-2010 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

The 90-92 style delco cd players are hard to find at a decent price.I got mine awhile back from a guy on this board and it works perfectly.Its currently wrapped in plastic and packed away in a box for safe keeping(and no its not for sale)

Attachment 418649

Al Hasse 02-14-2010 09:18 PM

It's the yellow lettering that makes them so hard to find, and so "valuable."

mister_hudson 02-14-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by my82roc (Post 4436677)
The 90-92 style delco cd players are hard to find at a decent price.I got mine awhile back from a guy on this board and it works perfectly.Its currently wrapped in plastic and packed away in a box for safe keeping(and no its not for sale)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...c/IMG_0370.jpg

Holly crap that is immaculate! You do realize what you could get for that don't you? I'll give you my left nut for that deck! :lol:

No seriously...

oramac z28 02-14-2010 09:31 PM

Don't know if you read my post from last night but this is EXACTLY what i want to do!! Did the radio you pulled from the buick allow you to just plug in the harnesses in the camaros or did you have to use adapters ? Also, did the Delco unit simply bolt right in or did you have to modify that as well ? THANK YOU for any help or suggestions!

grassyflats 02-14-2010 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mister_hudson (Post 4425533)
There is quite a market for the original units if you ever want to sell it... I have seen the yellow lettered CD players for a 92 go for close to $300!

I have two stock am/fm cassette basic models for auction right here
no equalizers and they are still currently installed in my 91 RS-91 Z28
available only through 3rdgen starting bid is one for $275 two for $500:D
this is what they should go for because giving up your stock radio IMO
de-values your car when it comes time to sell her-it is better to be able
to say "comes with the original stereo" so I wouldnt let 'em go for less

babygrand 02-14-2010 09:42 PM

check out the one on ebay look under camaro cd player its at $200 I was out bid go fof it!

mister_hudson 02-14-2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by grassyflats (Post 4436706)
I have two stock am/fm cassette basic models for auction right here
no equalizers and they are still currently installed in my 91 RS-91 Z28
available only through 3rdgen starting bid is one for $275 two for $500:D

LOL! Smart man! I'm set but I bet someone on here will take it off of your hands!

my82roc 02-15-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mister_hudson (Post 4436681)
Holly crap that is immaculate! You do realize what you could get for that don't you? I'll give you my left nut for that deck! :lol:

No seriously...

I do know what they sell for that's why I bought it.it was such a bargain that I couldn't pass it up.only way I would consider selling it is if I was really hard up for cash.otherwise it's just going to stay put.imagine what it could be worth in say 10 years from now to someone trying to restore their car back to originallity

I

my82roc 02-15-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by oramac z28 (Post 4436694)
Don't know if you read my post from last night but this is EXACTLY what i want to do!! Did the radio you pulled from the buick allow you to just plug in the harnesses in the camaros or did you have to use adapters ? Also, did the Delco unit simply bolt right in or did you have to modify that as well ? THANK YOU for any help or suggestions!

The Buick cd player will be plug and play for 89 and up as they both take the 21 pin type connector.I used an adaptor in my 86.it went right in on my 89.To install you will just need to transfer the mounting brackets which attach to the sides of the radio.very simple as it's only 1 nut apiece that holds them on

mister_hudson 02-15-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by my82roc (Post 4437022)
I do know what they sell for that's why I bought it.it was such a bargain that I couldn't pass it up.only way I would consider selling it is if I was really hard up for cash.otherwise it's just going to stay put.imagine what it could be worth in say 10 years from now to someone trying to restore their car back to originallity

Hope that never happens to you but IF you are ever in that situation hit me up! I'll sell the wife's Cobalt if I have to! :lol:

grassyflats 02-15-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mister_hudson (Post 4436712)
LOL! Smart man! I'm set but I bet someone on here will take it off of your hands!

gracias senior que chido los vamos:thumbsup:

babygrand 02-15-2010 10:28 PM

Just got a am/fm/cd (rpo U1C) on craigslist for $100 bucks! Hope to have pics of it, and the car soon

mister_hudson 02-15-2010 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by babygrand (Post 4438029)
Just got a am/fm/cd (rpo U1C) on craigslist for $100 bucks! Hope to have pics of it, and the car soon

SMOKIN' deal! Nice score!

BluFBdy 02-16-2010 01:32 AM

i had the stock deck for a while but decided to toss it, didnt like it and just put my pioneer in from my lancer, that had a decetn factory setup so it wasnt necessary, plus the factory deck wont really match my interior in a few months lol full autometer setup LS2 lol etc

i pulled out the stock speakers too those things were shot after 20 years lol

grassyflats 02-16-2010 07:44 AM

there is a delco loc II on ebay rebuilt for $225

oramac z28 02-16-2010 10:43 PM

Thats good news for me ! Thanks alot for replying to my question. Gotta admit your set up looks completely stock if you didnt know any better. Saw another members set up with a Delco out of 02 GM truck-looks pretty damn good as well. Apparently those radios are in the 4th gens also and will bolt right in. Now I'm debating what to do.

mister_hudson 02-16-2010 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by grassyflats (Post 4438297)
there is a delco loc II on ebay rebuilt for $225

Very sharp... Too bad it has the white lettering :(

In case anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delco...ht_5096wt_1165

y84pauloflondon 02-16-2010 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Al Hasse (Post 4436245)
Quite a few of the Delco TheftLock units will fit with no modifications, except for maybe the harness on the back depending on the year of your car. I think one from a 4th gen bolts right in, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I have one in my 89 RS that came from a 2002 GMC/Chevy truck. All I had to do was remove the slide mounts from the sides and fab up some mounting brackets from some angle stock aluminum.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...S/P1010318.jpg

I put a 02 Grand Prix CD deck in my 87 GTA, all I had to do was trim back the side mounting tabs to make it fit, and rewire the 02 wire harness to the org 87 harness.....Thats it.......

Note: side mounting tabs were kept on and used, just trimed

silvereagle 02-16-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by mister_hudson (Post 4424388)

my 84 trans am is bone stock except for magnaflow chrome exhuast tips, I have toyed with the idea of putting a high power 350 to replace the L69 5.0, I just cant bring myself to change somthing that is so pristine

my82roc 02-17-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mister_hudson (Post 4439404)
Very sharp... Too bad it has the white lettering :(

In case anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delco...ht_5096wt_1165

I like how the guy says its from a 1991 Iroc.First off there were no irocs in 1991 and secondly if it was from a 1991 camaro it would have the yellow lettering.I believe gm used those units till at least 1994 as I used to have one that had a 1994 date code on it.Funny thing about that unit was it woudnt play a cd when I mounted it in my camaro.It worked fine on a flat surface but once installed it would read err and spit out the disc :confused:

hedberg667 02-17-2010 01:55 PM

I would have kept the stock stereo except that it was stolen before i bought the car. Plus the speakers were blown and the wiring was a hack job. Kinda wish i did have the deck to match the rest of the car.

Skyset 02-17-2010 09:09 PM

LOL I use a stock system! I plug my iPod into a cassette adapter !

sakattack28 02-20-2010 02:02 PM

i had the stock head unit in my 91 when i got it, yellow letters, AM/FM cassette player. the PO told me that the sound was cutting out, so he replaced the speakers, and when i got it it still was happening, so i replaced the head unit with the Alpine one i had in my Ram i had before i traded it for the third gen. problem solved. all the wiring in the car is still intact, and i have the original head unit sitting in my basement. i have new speakers too, but im waiting on putting those in until i get my subs and box built.

babygrand 03-04-2010 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kenwood out stock U1C in MUCH BETTER!

Attachment 194311

The Project 03-04-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by babygrand (Post 4458624)
MUCH BETTER!

Attachment 194311

Looks like something from Night Rider :lol:

jermdm 03-05-2010 10:02 PM

I'm still using the factory bose set-up in my iroc. All is still working and sounds pretty good. The only thing I've done is add a 10" sub with a rca converter and kicker amp to fill in the sound. Not booming or anything but fills in the sound quite nicely. Also added a 6 disc cd changer with a fm mod. Lose a little sound with that.

IROCZ28KevinZ 03-15-2010 12:01 AM

I have a 91 Z28 vert that I added rear bose amps and speakers out of a caddy (the speakers are from a catera) with the front enclosures/amps from a camaro. I was running a 1993 camaro bose radio tape deck to match the yellow lettering in the car, but now I have a 90-92 camaro delco/bose radio that was refurbished and has an aux input jack for an mp3 player. very very rare radio, but it looks and sounds fantastic.

sakattack28 03-15-2010 05:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
just got around to taking a picture of my stock radio, since its not in the car any more. stock on top, new spanky awesome Alpine on bottom. :D
Attachment 416974
Attachment 416975

mister_hudson 03-15-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by sakattack28 (Post 4472617)
just got around to taking a picture of my stock radio, since its not in the car any more. stock on top, new spanky awesome Alpine on bottom. :D

Any thought of selling the original? :D