Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Strangest thing I've ever seen (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/700722-strangest-thing-ive-ever.html)

Eric Brumley 04-21-2014 10:53 PM

Strangest thing I've ever seen

I've never seen or heard of a stock car radio (or any radio for that matter) doing this. I own an 87 GTA. Completely stock radio (AM/FM with EQ and cassette). I was riding down the road with the radio on and hit a few potholes (nothing major). At first it seemed like the radio skipped a few stations or something hit the tuner button (it has no knobs, just buttons). Nope. It started, on its own, moving through the stations/frequencies on the dial. No change to the digital screen or anything else. It does this once in a while. I can not reproduce it and when it does it, there isn't anything I can do to correct it.

Any ideas?

8t2 z-chev 04-21-2014 11:19 PM

Re: Strangest thing I've ever seen

probably has some broken solder joints on the circuit boards-a common problem and an easy fix if you are used to radio repair.

*84TA 04-24-2014 11:24 PM

I second that. Cold solder joints! If you pull the radio, and take it apart post pictures. I can show you where to start re-soldering. You should probably replace the filter caps on the amp board when it is apart. A good tune up and you should get another 27 yrs out of it no problem.

bbc632 05-12-2014 09:37 PM

Cord solder is the right way togo

mjdavis68 05-12-2014 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by *84TA (Post 5754193)
I second that. Cold solder joints! If you pull the radio, and take it apart post pictures. I can show you where to start re-soldering. You should probably replace the filter caps on the amp board when it is apart. A good tune up and you should get another 27 yrs out of it no problem.

Man thats pretty cool to offer this for him...

jdreswick 05-22-2014 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Brumley (Post 5752199)
I've never seen or heard of a stock car radio (or any radio for that matter) doing this. I own an 87 GTA. Completely stock radio (AM/FM with EQ and cassette). I was riding down the road with the radio on and hit a few potholes (nothing major). At first it seemed like the radio skipped a few stations or something hit the tuner button (it has no knobs, just buttons). Nope. It started, on its own, moving through the stations/frequencies on the dial. No change to the digital screen or anything else. It does this once in a while. I can not reproduce it and when it does it, there isn't anything I can do to correct it.

Any ideas?

Mine does this too! its sooooo weird. it will work fine then all of a sudden (on a smooth road) just cut out or start going through the stations. im confused and will probably send too get fixed cause im nat an electronics guy.