Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Double Din Radio Bezel (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/740366-double-din-radio-bezel.html)

7thdarkangel 10-20-2021 09:58 AM

Re: Double Din Radio Bezel

Originally Posted by T.L. (Post 6445804)
Firebird?...

opps, forgot that bit of info but yes 82-84 firebird

7thdarkangel 10-21-2021 11:19 AM

anyone willing to test fit and take a few install picture of the 82-84 firebird plate?

battmann 10-21-2021 12:33 PM

I might have missed it but what’s the price for the 82-84 Firebird bezel?
Also what are the dimensions of the double din opening?

7thdarkangel 10-22-2021 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by battmann (Post 6445983)
I might have missed it but what’s the price for the 82-84 Firebird bezel?
Also what are the dimensions of the double din opening?

Price is going to be $55-$65 depending on where its listed.
Opening is just your standard 4" x 7" opening for the double din. Parts are machined per order so I can put an option for a custom opening if needed.

MikeDwhoROCZImports 06-21-2022 06:07 AM

Read through the whole thread. There looked to be a ton of interest initially in the swapped setup w/ the stereo on top, but most of late look to have gone towards the standard version.

Has anyone who has gone the swapped route been able to mount a stereo without cutting/hacking up the dash behind it? I'm looking for a mech-less unit that's about 3" deep.

groy22799 06-21-2022 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by MikeDwhoROCZImports (Post 6470216)
Read through the whole thread. There looked to be a ton of interest initially in the swapped setup w/ the stereo on top, but most of late look to have gone towards the standard version.

Has anyone who has gone the swapped route been able to mount a stereo without cutting/hacking up the dash behind it? I'm looking for a mech-less unit that's about 3" deep.

I second this one. I just obtained an 88 IROC and a mech-less (shallow) head unit. I purchased the reverse bezel awhile ago for my 92, but installed it in the 88 instead (because the 88 runs). I am dreading trying to install the head unit this weekend. I know there has been mounts made for the standard (head unit on bottom) install, but what about the reverse? Can the standard mounts be used...maybe with some spacers?

tglennon11 06-21-2022 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by groy22799 (Post 6470224)
I second this one. I just obtained an 88 IROC and a mech-less (shallow) head unit. I purchased the reverse bezel awhile ago for my 92, but installed it in the 88 instead (because the 88 runs). I am dreading trying to install the head unit this weekend. I know there has been mounts made for the standard (head unit on bottom) install, but what about the reverse? Can the standard mounts be used...maybe with some spacers?

Hey guys- i run a pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. it is shallow depth version of the full unit. Fits in the upper slot great, ill grab some pictures tonight.

Aviator857 06-21-2022 10:02 AM

One thing to look at is there are some good options now with a remote mount screen. So it has a box about the size of a traditional din radio that you can mount up in the dash and a ribbon cable that runs to the screen. It gives a lot of flexibility. You can get them 2 DIN size for a traditional look or your can get the larger ones and mount it in front of the bezel looking like a tablet (more modern car approach) Though I bottom mounted it (firebird) with the radio box behind the screen it gives some flexibility (and larger than 2 din screen) Unfortunately most of the detached screen radios are no names but the big brands are starting to have those options.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sg...-no?authuser=0

groy22799 06-21-2022 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by tglennon11 (Post 6470231)
Hey guys- i run a pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. it is shallow depth version of the full unit. Fits in the upper slot great, ill grab some pictures tonight.

That is the unit I have coming this weekend. Thanks!

groy22799 06-21-2022 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Aviator857 (Post 6470234)
One thing to look at is there are some good options now with a remote mount screen. So it has a box about the size of a traditional din radio that you can mount up in the dash and a ribbon cable that runs to the screen. It gives a lot of flexibility. You can get them 2 DIN size for a traditional look or your can get the larger ones and mount it in front of the bezel looking like a tablet (more modern car approach) Though I bottom mounted it (firebird) with the radio box behind the screen it gives some flexibility (and larger than 2 din screen) Unfortunately most of the detached screen radios are no names but the big brands are starting to have those options.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sg...-no?authuser=0

Pioneer does have options like this now... I will be looking into those for my 92. However, I already have the double din bezel and want to use it. :)

tglennon11 06-21-2022 11:00 AM

Its a great unit, wireless android auto is the best.

MikeDwhoROCZImports 06-21-2022 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator857 (Post 6470234)

I can't see the image you posted, but I know that Joying has options like this which I was looking into. Joying isn't necessary a "big brand" but they're upper crust amongst the plethora of cheap Chinese android units that are on the market.

Unfortunately the units themselves are a bit deeper than the Pioneer unit above. The Pioneer looks to be 3.38" or 3.88", and I believe most of the Joying units are a bit over 5". Accordingly I'm unsure if the Joying would fit where the Pioneer does.

Theoretically you could mount it at the bottom where there's more room (under the HVAC in the traditional location) and put the screen higher via the ribbon cable, but that would look pretty trash IMO.

tglennon11 06-21-2022 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by tglennon11 (Post 6470237)
Its a great unit, wireless android auto is the best.

Originally Posted by tglennon11 (Post 6470231)

here are two pictures of this one installed. i need to massage the top mounting as you can see the face plate flexed a little bit

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...63193b3f51.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...1a3573636e.jpg

groy22799 06-22-2022 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by tglennon11 (Post 6470307)
here are two pictures of this one installed. i need to massage the top mounting as you can see the face plate flexed a little bit

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...63193b3f51.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...1a3573636e.jpg

Looks good! My bezel seems to have a little flex, too... I hit it with a heat gun and gently worked it back to straight... that helped. I am curious how you mounted the head unit, though...behind the bezel. Did you make your own mounts?

MikeDwhoROCZImports 06-22-2022 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by tglennon11 (Post 6470307)

Looks great, minus that bit of odd flex at the top. Is it pinched at the sides a bit?

(Also, where did you get your floor mats?)

tglennon11 06-22-2022 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MikeDwhoROCZImports (Post 6470321)
Looks great, minus that bit of odd flex at the top. Is it pinched at the sides a bit?

(Also, where did you get your floor mats?)

Originally Posted by groy22799 (Post 6470319)
Looks good! My bezel seems to have a little flex, too... I hit it with a heat gun and gently worked it back to straight... that helped. I am curious how you mounted the head unit, though...behind the bezel. Did you make your own mounts?

Groy- i made my mounts using some galvanized lumber connectors from home depot- i think it was a 4 x 4 post anchor, i just cut the two sides off and viola you have 2 90deg brackets. And yes i need to get the heat gun on my bezel. My first install i had the headunit twisted slightly that caused the bow.

Mike- if i remember correctly i bought them from Rock auto, but i cant find the order

groy22799 06-22-2022 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by tglennon11 (Post 6470344)
Groy- i made my mounts using some galvanized lumber connectors from home depot- i think it was a 4 x 4 post anchor, i just cut the two sides off and viola you have 2 90deg brackets. And yes i need to get the heat gun on my bezel. My first install i had the headunit twisted slightly that caused the bow.

Mike- if i remember correctly i bought them from Rock auto, but i cant find the order

Yea, that was my initial thought... Thanks!!

1991CamaroRslow 08-23-2023 08:39 PM

So the Camaro files were taken down but the Firebird ones are still up, why not just sell the STL files on Cults? I have no interest in paying someone to 3d print what I can print myself.

scfbody 09-10-2023 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by groy22799 (Post 6470319)

We sell brackets with slots so the radio positioning can be adjusted, also includes brackets to move the heat/ac controls up slightly for more room for the radio. Also have standard or reverse mount bezels available for Camaros.
1982-92 Camaro Double DIN Radio Install Brackets (screamingchicken.com)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...ad46007055.jpg

Neo600 02-10-2024 10:59 PM

i will buy this file if you will sell me one ..my paypal is ready