Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Carburetors (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/)
-   -   Best carb for daily driving? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/473289-best-carb-daily-driving.html)

The_Wraith 04-30-2008 02:10 PM

Best carb for daily driving?

Besides a q-jet what carb is the best for performance reliability and economy? i'm looking for somthing I can go buy brand new.

igotta355z28 04-30-2008 02:15 PM

Re: Best carb for daily driving?

youll get a lot of responses on this, IMHO Edelbrocks are great for daily driving, and they are the least expsensive carb...I have a holleys street avenger on my IROC, its great i dont daily drive it but i use to dd my 86 with a street avenger and never had a problems...

Rayzor32 04-30-2008 02:16 PM

It's all a matter of opinion. holley guys will be holley guys, qjet guys will be gjet guys edelbrock guys will be edelbrock guys. If u want to just bolt on and go, edelbrock's are pretty easy. If u want performance go holley.

igotta355z28 04-30-2008 02:39 PM

:yup:

Tobias05 04-30-2008 03:50 PM

get a double pumper and check out the sticky on holley tuning.

I love mine.

ChillPhatCat 04-30-2008 03:59 PM

Cheap and economical... I'd say Edelbrock 1406, 600 CFM. It'll do fine for any stock motor from a 3rd gen... or a slightly modded 305. You might sacrifice a couple HP on top because of the smaller size, but below about 6000 RPM it's probably negligeable. They also run very well straight out of the box.

online170 04-30-2008 04:09 PM

You will never beat the q-jet for that in my opinion. Can be rebuilt in about 20 mins, for about $60. They are a dime a dozen, easy to tune. Just get one from the 70s. The ones that came on our cars, give the q-jet a bad name.

Whatever you chooze, it should have an electric choke. But i think an edelbrock 650cfm is your best bet if not the q-jet.

igotta355z28 04-30-2008 04:12 PM

you have a street car with an automatic so dont get a double pumper stick with vacum secondaries

five7kid 04-30-2008 06:20 PM

Performance, reliability, and economy - the exact description of the computer controlled q-jet.

New carbs:

Cheap - the best description of a Performer.

Getting less than you pay for - the perfect description of the Street Avenger series.

Inappropriate for a performance car - the general description of a vacuum secondary carb.

Automatic transmission is absolutely not a disqualifier for a double pumper carb. It's the prevailing attitude of "bigger is better" that has made manufacturers shy about recommending them for auto cars. The issue isn't the double pumper not mixing with auto trannies, it's the minimum RPMs you go WOT - and the Holley site has a chart to show you how to size properly. On a 350, you can put a 750 DP as long as you have at least 1500 RPM stall - no reason whatsoever wasting your performance $'s on a VS carb.

If you really, really want to downgrade from the stock CC carb, and absolutely have to have a new carb, consider the Holley 6210 - spreadbore type, double pumper, 650 CFM. Electric choke will be one difficulty with it.