Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Carburetors (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/)
-   -   82-84 trans am factory ram air set up (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/508953-82-84-trans-am.html)

Jakout125 01-24-2009 07:18 PM

82-84 trans am factory ram air set up

I believe in 82-84 they made a factory ram air set up for under the hood, I was wondering if anybody knew how much one would run me, or how much they sell for if anybody seen them being sold, I dont want to pay a lot of money for something that isnt worth their price.

FormulaL98 01-24-2009 07:44 PM

Re: 82-84 trans am factory ram air set up

There was no Ram-Air system for third gen TA's. What the early HO cars used was a cowl induction system, meaning air is supplyed via a positive pressure effect at the base of the windshield. This system used a specific air cleaner assembly which more than likely isnt exactly easy to find nor cheap. Also a turbo hood will be needed with the induction flap at the rear of the scoop. This hood was used on pre 85 TA's and all Formulas.

Dens71TA 01-24-2009 10:16 PM

The factory ram air setups used on '82-84 T/As aren't worth that much. You should be able to pick up a complete setup for under $100. Make sure you get the underhood peice from a carburated car as one from a Cross-Fire Injection is different.

BirdoFireTA84 01-25-2009 12:39 AM

I believe I have one laying around. I have two 84 TA's that came with that setup. If you have trouble finding one at a reasonable price, send me a PM as I likely won't be using one of them. Both are from carbed setups.

jjlabinski 01-25-2009 09:49 AM

Yeah I got one for sale as well. Mine includes the K&N airfilter.

If you want it functional you will need the relays and switches.

I have all that stuff as well.

Make me an offer it is already shrink wrapped and packaged.

Jeff

TylerP 01-25-2009 12:33 PM

I found a factory cold air hood on Craigslist. I posted a wanted add in the auto section and got several responses. My 89 has the flat hood and I figured if I'm going to change the hood I may as well go functional. I found the breather assembly on ebay for around $70 shipped. The hood cost me $175 and I drove 2 hours to get it but it's nice & straight,I just need to paint it. The crossfire induction plastic is different than the carbed part as mentioned above. I have one of each.

Where does the power wire hook up to on the air induction electric motor,anyone know?

Dens71TA 01-25-2009 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by TylerP (Post 4020545)
Where does the power wire hook up to on the air induction electric motor,anyone know?

Power comes from a oil pressure switch, to a cold feed switch that senses engine temperature so it won't open with the engine cold, and then to a low vacuum sensor that will open the flapper door during acceleration and WOT situations.

astrosurfer 02-02-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by TylerP (Post 4020545)

mines hooks to the vac switch on the DS firewall nearest the hood hinge.
1 single wire I believe.
This should have vac attached for functionality.

blg0720 02-02-2009 08:49 PM

So, if your car has the functional cowl, does that automatically mean that it's a 305 HO? I'm so new to these that I can't tell whether I have an HO or not even though I know it's a 305 V8. :(

Dens71TA 02-02-2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by blg0720 (Post 4029796)
So, if your car has the functional cowl, does that automatically mean that it's a 305 HO? (

No. All Crossfire Injection and '83-84 carburated Trans Ams got the functional hood louver. Some magazine articles mention that late production '82 carburated cars would be getting the functional hood louver system but I've never seen any.

The 8th digit in the VIN is the engine ID.
VIN H = LG4 305 4-bbl
VIN 7('82), S('83) = LU5 305 CFI
VIN 7('83), G('84-86) = L69 305 HO 4-bbl

BirdoFireTA84 02-03-2009 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by blg0720 (Post 4029796)
So, if your car has the functional cowl, does that automatically mean that it's a 305 HO? I'm so new to these that I can't tell whether I have an HO or not even though I know it's a 305 V8. :(

That doesn't necessarily mean it's an HO model. Take a look at your VIN to determine if it is or not. My 84 TA came with the functional cowl but it is not an HO according to the VIN.

blg0720 02-03-2009 09:39 AM

Yeah, mine is an H, which means it was the LG4 305 4-bbl. Good to know. Since the original setup was removed, I've never been really sure what it was except that it WAS the V8.

ndamron 02-03-2009 11:24 AM

I actually am looking for some of the under the hood induction pieces for either the carb or CFI models. How much for the under the hood plastic pieces shipped to waukesha, WI 53186

Nick

TylerP 02-04-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by astrosurfer (Post 4029775)
mines hooks to the vac switch on the DS firewall nearest the hood hinge.
1 single wire I believe.
This should have vac attached for functionality.

Thanks for the tip. Dont have a pic of this by chance do ya?

Dens71TA 02-04-2009 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached pic.

TylerP 02-04-2009 08:44 PM

Thank you for that photo!

jbucago 03-25-2010 08:12 PM

So is this Power Bulge system worth anything these days???

Dens71TA 03-26-2010 04:04 PM

You could probably get $40-50 if you find somebody that needs it.

astrosurfer 03-26-2010 09:34 PM

sorry I didn't get back with a pic.
I would say it's only worth keeping if you insist on staying completely stock.
Personally...I'm getting rid of mines and getting the GTA hood.

jbucago 03-28-2010 06:24 AM

I wonder who needs one... because i have like 3 that work!

astrosurfer 03-28-2010 09:06 AM

post it up in the classifieds section.
that's where it's likely to get most attention.
In my opinion, it's more so the power bulge hood that attracts most people rather than the actual ram air concept...they want that KITT look I guess.
I can't wait to get rid of mine.
Apparently it's a hard come by hood these days and people are looking for them.
As far as the ram air setup....not sure how sought after it is. I think it only works for carb and TBI motors but I might be wrong on that.
Good luck

SolarGoldRaptor 04-13-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by astrosurfer (Post 4488044)
post it up in the classifieds section.
that's where it's likely to get most attention.
In my opinion, it's more so the power bulge hood that attracts most people rather than the actual ram air concept...they want that KITT look I guess.
I can't wait to get rid of mine.
Apparently it's a hard come by hood these days and people are looking for them.
As far as the ram air setup....not sure how sought after it is. I think it only works for carb and TBI motors but I might be wrong on that.
Good luck

They will surely be worth something in the future, they're just not much sought after yet. Those cars aren't old enough to be restored to their original form unlike 2nd Gens. They're hard to find though, so unless you really need the room, keep it aside.
I recently scored a very nice air induction scoop for $16 on eBay...and the complete air cleaner for $40, it just needs a respray. Only the lid is specific, the base and all the surrounding stuff are generic.

Even if it's not plugged, I think it's good to keep it mounted. If you remove it the rain will drip in the engine bay. The block off plate looks wrong in my opinion.

graywolfman 01-29-2011 01:13 PM

Any of you guys still have the parts and/or wiring information? I just had to replace my hood and the only one I could find has the hood trim piece, induction box and wiring missing. Any specific information, or if anyone is selling this stuff would be greatly appreciated! Let me know, thanks!

BirdoFireTA84 01-29-2011 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by graywolfman (Post 4805266)
Any of you guys still have the parts and/or wiring information? I just had to replace my hood and the only one I could find has the hood trim piece, induction box and wiring missing. Any specific information, or if anyone is selling this stuff would be greatly appreciated! Let me know, thanks!

I still have everything that I removed from my car but I'm not quite willing to part with it yet as it might come in handy later, sorry. My TA is currently buried in snow but I can eventually get some pictures if you need to see where the wire hooks up, etc. I left the wiring in place and just removed all of the ducting since it caused issues when I changed to a holley carb a while back. If I remember correctly it was just one wire that runs up the hood to the solenoid to open up the cowl.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't like that the cowl is just wide open letting all the rain/snow find its way into the engine bay. Might have to set aside some time to make something that blocks off that opening but can open/shut using a solenoid like the old setup did.

graywolfman 01-29-2011 02:06 PM

Alrighty, no problem. I just need to know where the wire plugs into that comes off the air box solenoid. I know one is a ground wire, but the other I just need to figure out where to plug it in at. That info alone would help loads!

SolarGoldRaptor 02-02-2011 05:54 AM

There should be a vertical connector on the relays tray on the firewall.

KITT1983 03-14-2011 04:43 AM

does any one have a CFI cowl unit for sale i need to repair mine

Air_Adam 03-14-2011 01:07 PM

Performance wise, its not worth alot. It also doesn't really have alot of 'cool factor' so its not worth much that way either.

That said, if you have a complete system in decent shape, it might be worth holding onto. Alot of the top model early 3rdgen cars, like the Z28 and TransAm, are starting to come up in value a little bit and are slowly starting to become restoration projects for alot of people. Parts like this in decent shape, would be worth holding onto for awhile, as they could be worth something to a restorer in the future.

GICATA 03-18-2011 02:49 PM

I know this is an old thread, but what the heck.....

When mine was still functional it would suck water beads off the back of the hood when the engine was running wot and higher rpm. Yes there is a drain on the unit for the water, but that proves it is functional. How much it really adds to power I don't know, but I always thought it was cool to have "fresh air" to the carb.

I have since removed and stored the components away as it wont fit with a hi-rise style intake and Holley.

oamhmad 03-27-2011 05:43 PM

To any one thinking of getting one of these cowl induction setups, be very careful, it cost me an engine.

Mine would let water drip into the engine through the carb and then one day during a heavy rain storm I started it up and the motor hydro locked catastrophically.

I'm still not sure how it let water in as everything was factory stock and I even had the flapper wired shut to prevent this very issue. I suspect the gasket around the scoop piece that bolts on top of the hood rotted away and let water drip into the whole system.

You've been warned! check for water on to and inside the air cleaner if you have this setup.

colby91 07-05-2013 03:08 PM

i have a 1983 firebird ta recaro nd it has the ram air but i cnt find a full assembly for it i have all the parts but they dont work cn anyone help me

KITT1983 07-05-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by colby91 (Post 5594415)
i have a 1983 firebird ta recaro nd it has the ram air but i cnt find a full assembly for it i have all the parts but they dont work cn anyone help me

Do you have the crossfire injection?

dmccain 06-20-2014 09:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by colby91 (Post 5594415)

I just took that assembly off my car. my flapper motor was wired to a toggle switch though not on a vacuum. It was functional though and i would part with it. The rubber on top the air cleaner and everything still in good shape.

JLow 87 01-29-2015 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BirdoFireTA84 (Post 4020220)
I believe I have one laying around. I have two 84 TA's that came with that setup. If you have trouble finding one at a reasonable price, send me a PM as I likely won't be using one of them. Both are from carbed setups.

Hey I need the plastic drip tray for that set up. Do you have it? Thx Joe. If you do I would like to buy it. That's the only piece I am missing.

katrav8 08-21-2018 03:17 AM

Hello. This is my relay board setup. Car has been converted from crossfire to 4 barrel carb. Engine though remains the same LU5.

I recently bought vaccum line switch from a carb setup 1984 T/A.
Where in relay board i have to install vacc switch? This vacc switch has a stem on bottom to add vacc line?

See photos here...

https://imgur.com/a/KWEaubf

JojoDacosta 11-20-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by katrav8 (Post 6245790)
Hello. This is my relay board setup. Car has been converted from crossfire to 4 barrel carb. Engine though remains the same LU5.

I recently bought vaccum line switch from a carb setup 1984 T/A.
Where in relay board i have to install vacc switch? This vacc switch has a stem on bottom to add vacc line?

See photos here...

https://imgur.com/a/KWEaubf

if you replace the stock intake, will the Edelbrock Proformer intake work? It's the height so it works right and no water in. I seen on Ebay they had that app will it fit? Seen a weiand 3000 intake. I tried both the stock Corvette intakes the L82 and the L48 it said they didn't work, but they look like a low profile intakes? I know you get into the RPM intake it's much higher and I dont think it will work? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

PMDJIM 08-07-2019 12:20 PM

Bringing this back up.... Does anyone have a photo of a low mileage original under hood insulator for this set up. Repop insulators are not cut out for this. So I am guessing I will need to fabricate the replacement.

Brian Laycox 12-08-2020 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jjlabinski (Post 4020419)
Yeah I got one for sale as well. Mine includes the K&N airfilter.

If you want it functional you will need the relays and switches.

I have all that stuff as well.

Make me an offer it is already shrink wrapped and packaged.

Jeff

Jeff, I know its been 11 years since you wrote this post, but I just started looking for these parts and thought I would reach out to see if you still had anything left. At the very least, I need the air cleaner cover with the silicone squish gasket. What do you have, if anything? Thanks -Brian

Cbr600elevator 12-25-2020 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BirdoFireTA84 (Post 4020220)

I'm looking for the air cleaner lid for the 82-84 carb air induction setup if anyone has one please let me know

Cbr600elevator 12-25-2020 11:54 AM

I'm looking for the 82-84 air cleaner lid for the carb air induction setup. Please let me know if anyone has one. Thanks

Brian Laycox 12-25-2020 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cbr600elevator (Post 6408331)
I'm looking for the 82-84 air cleaner lid for the carb air induction setup. Please let me know if anyone has one. Thanks

I recently won one in an ebay auction bid. Its still in transit since 3 weeks ago. The seller shipped it by US Mail and Im starting to think its lost. There WAS 1 other intake for sale on ebay. It was fully refurbished and it didn't have the rubber seal that seals the hood. It was a toss up. I bought the uglier one which was cheaper, knowing I could repaint the lid myself. The picture i attached to this is the one I let go. Looks like someone bought it pretty quick. If I see another one I'll shoot you a message with the link to it. In the meantime find and join FIREBIRDS UNLIMITED group on Facebook. Its my own group based in Northern Illinois. If ya want :)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...94f04c8db4.jpg

Cbr600elevator 12-25-2020 12:51 PM

Thanks Brian

Jgregory0227 05-03-2022 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by FormulaL98 (Post 4019923)
There was no Ram-Air system for third gen TA's. What the early HO cars used was a cowl induction system, meaning air is supplyed via a positive pressure effect at the base of the windshield. This system used a specific air cleaner assembly which more than likely isnt exactly easy to find nor cheap. Also a turbo hood will be needed with the induction flap at the rear of the scoop. This hood was used on pre 85 TA's and all Formulas.

What I wanna know is does the air induction on the 82-84 trans ams have any kind of water drainage if water is to get in them?

Brian Laycox 05-03-2022 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jgregory0227 (Post 6465043)
What I wanna know is does the air induction on the 82-84 trans ams have any kind of water drainage if water is to get in them?

Hello. Yes they have a drainage hole. Any water goes down into a small channel inside the unit and is dripped out on the side. I have a complete set to sell if anybody is shopping for it. The air cleaner with round rubber seal, and the cowl intake that bolts to the hood. I bought it in my previous post and never used it. Now it just sits in a spare room doing nothing for anyone, so I think I'm going to sell it. Everything works on it, even the actuator. You'd need to get the relay for it to make the actuator work, or I've seen people hook it up to a toggle switch, or they just leave it wide open. A toggle would be real easy instead of finding a relay to hook up to the throttle position sensor. Back in the day it would open automatically when you floored the gas pedal, but that took more components to make it work.

Tommy320 08-17-2022 10:46 PM

Hello... I am one of those guys looking for the functioning 82 to 84 carb cowl intake setup. Anyone willing to part with theirs? I found a working actuator and housing, just need the air cleaner box and seal

1983LU5TA 09-05-2022 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Laycox (Post 6465047)
Hello. Yes they have a drainage hole. Any water goes down into a small channel inside the unit and is dripped out on the side. I have a complete set to sell if anybody is shopping for it. The air cleaner with round rubber seal, and the cowl intake that bolts to the hood. I bought it in my previous post and never used it. Now it just sits in a spare room doing nothing for anyone, so I think I'm going to sell it. Everything works on it, even the actuator. You'd need to get the relay for it to make the actuator work, or I've seen people hook it up to a toggle switch, or they just leave it wide open. A toggle would be real easy instead of finding a relay to hook up to the throttle position sensor. Back in the day it would open automatically when you floored the gas pedal, but that took more components to make it work.

The air induction unit used on 83-84 LG4 and L69 cars is not operated by the TPS. It is operated by the oil pressure sending unit, through a cold feed switch, and through a manifold vacuum switch that closes when manifold vacuum drops. The 82-83 LU5 cars were operated by the 5055/6026 ECM.

mikelstudy_1 11-25-2022 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jakout125 (Post 4019893)
I believe in 82-84 they made a factory ram air set up for under the hood, I was wondering if anybody knew how much one would run me, or how much they sell for if anybody seen them being sold, I dont want to pay a lot of money for something that isnt worth their price.

This system used a specific air cleaner assembly which more than likely isnt exactly easy to find nor cheap. Also a turbo hood will be needed with the induction flap at the rear of the scoop.