Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Carburetors (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/)
-   -   Distributor question...tpi to carb. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/604292-distributor-question-tpi-carb.html)

5.SLOW 02-20-2011 10:29 PM

Distributor question...tpi to carb.

ive tried to search but only found a bunch of people asking the same questions about fuel pumps and regulators over and over and over again.

I have a 350 tpi with a msd pro billet distributor and msd blaster coil. I have an intake manifold (edelbrock), carb (holley), and a fpr is on the way.

I want to know why i would have to change distributors, if at all. Can i run my msd stuff if i purchased a seperate ignition box? (eg. msd 6a or 6al?)

If i do have to change distributors, what type should i be looking at?

camaronewbie 02-21-2011 10:35 AM

Re: Distributor question...tpi to carb.

You'll need a vac-advanced distributor. The distributor you have (if it was the one with the TPI setup) is computer controlled - since you are swapping to carb, you no longer have a computer to control that distributor (the computer might still be there, but none of the sensors are connected, so it's useless now). Since there is no computer to control that distributor, you have no way of advancing the timing. So now, since the swap to carb, you have to use a distributor that has springs/weights inside to advance the timing with centrifugal force, and that has a vacuum canister on the side to assist in advancement as well.

You'll also need a way of locking the torque converter now that the computer is useless. You'll also need a TV cable from a TBI or carbed car, a good sturdy throttle cable bracket, and the right TV cable geometry corrector for you carb.

5.SLOW 02-21-2011 12:30 PM

Trans has been built and locks up hydraulically instead of electronically. So no issue there. Cables arent really a concern.

Just didnt want to throw away a $300 distributor for no apparant reason, ya know?

theNMBR27 02-21-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 5.SLOW (Post 4830051)
Just didnt want to throw away a $300 distributor for no apparant reason, ya know?

You don't have to throw it away, send it to me! I have a brand new HEI (big cap) distributor that I'm don't need because of the TPI

camaronewbie 02-21-2011 02:25 PM

ebay that sucka!

kingzrt 02-22-2011 05:47 AM

Is there one place better than the other to connect the vacuum line too from the vac advance? I have a quadrajet carb

Originally Posted by camaronewbie (Post 4829926)
You'll need a vac-advanced distributor. The distributor you have (if it was the one with the TPI setup) is computer controlled - since you are swapping to carb, you no longer have a computer to control that distributor (the computer might still be there, but none of the sensors are connected, so it's useless now). Since there is no computer to control that distributor, you have no way of advancing the timing. So now, since the swap to carb, you have to use a distributor that has springs/weights inside to advance the timing with centrifugal force, and that has a vacuum canister on the side to assist in advancement as well.

You'll also need a way of locking the torque converter now that the computer is useless. You'll also need a TV cable from a TBI or carbed car, a good sturdy throttle cable bracket, and the right TV cable geometry corrector for you carb.

camaronewbie 02-22-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by kingzrt (Post 4830847)
Is there one place better than the other to connect the vacuum line too from the vac advance? I have a quadrajet carb

Is that Quad a computer controlled quad? If so, you need a computer-controlled distributor. You have to have a computer controlled distributor with a computer controlled carb, and visa versa.

If it's not a cc Quad, then whichever vacuum port that is what's called "ported" or "timed" vacuum - it will not have suction on it at idle, but will at higher rpms. That's where most connect to. Some connect to full manifold vacuum (has suction always) and their particular motors run better for whatever reason (I guess they are getting timing advanced some during idle, making their base timing a tad higher and thus getting a tad more total timing in earlier or something).

five7kid 02-22-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 5.SLOW (Post 4829573)
I have a 350 tpi with a msd pro billet distributor and msd blaster coil. ...

I want to know why i would have to change distributors, if at all. Can i run my msd stuff if i purchased a seperate ignition box? (eg. msd 6a or 6al?)

You can use a programmable box, but it will cost you about twice what a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor will cost you.

It is possible to use a computer-type distributor in a race-only configuration. It's basically the same as using locked-out timing w/o vacuum advance.

But, if this is intended to be a street car, get either a programmable box, or a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor. You could get a Pro Billet distributor and reuse the Blaster coil - the 8360 is ready-to-run, just needs your coil. The 8361 requires a box (like 6A, 6AL, etc.) and your coil. Or, the 8362 is self-contained, and you could sell both your current distributor and current coil (least expensive of all those options).

5.SLOW 02-23-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by five7kid (Post 4831244)
You can use a programmable box, but it will cost you about twice what a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor will cost you.

It is possible to use a computer-type distributor in a race-only configuration. It's basically the same as using locked-out timing w/o vacuum advance.

But, if this is intended to be a street car, get either a programmable box, or a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor. You could get a Pro Billet distributor and reuse the Blaster coil - the 8360 is ready-to-run, just needs your coil. The 8361 requires a box (like 6A, 6AL, etc.) and your coil. Or, the 8362 is self-contained, and you could sell both your current distributor and current coil (least expensive of all those options).

Thanks bro. Very helpful.