Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Convertibles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/)
-   -   '86 ASC Camaro Convertible??? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/362662-86-asc-camaro-convertible.html)

plndtx 05-06-2006 01:57 PM

'86 ASC Camaro Convertible???

Did ASC convert cars before '87? Here is a link to an '86 on ebay.
I think this would be a highly collectable car. It really looks nice and different without all of the gfx. Put some period correct rims and you would have a real headturner.
Just my 2 cents.

eBay Motors: Chevrolet : Camaro (item 4637682314 end time May-12-06 13:28:08 PDT)

Edit: It's a given that the goofy a__ IROC decal would have to go, right?

ajmclean 05-06-2006 02:29 PM

item removed from ebay

do u have pics for that vert

plndtx 05-06-2006 02:33 PM

It was just there a minute ago.
I'll see if there is a pic in my temp internet files.
Thats too bad. I thought it was a cool car.

plndtx 05-06-2006 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found it in my temporary internet files. (I hope my wife doesn't know how to do that.)

BTW, I hope my comment on the IROC decal wasn't offensive. I don't want to get into a bitchfest over it.

Attachment 117604
Attachment 117605

ajmclean 05-06-2006 03:10 PM

i wonder what u found in that temporary folder :)

nice pics i thought that it would be a z28
i think 1986 SC verts are extremly rare
i wonder if they ever made a berlinetta vert

gcgarner 05-08-2006 04:41 PM

Damn! It sure looks like an ASC conversion! I thought there were only Autoform conversions (the 2-seaters) back then.

plndtx 05-08-2006 07:17 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I've got a picture of the trunk and it looks just like our ASC cars.

I'll be glad when one of our 'experts' logs on and gives us some info.

ajmclean 05-08-2006 11:38 PM

what r u talkin about?

it is a 4 seater and yes it looks like ASC conversions

ChevyKen 05-09-2006 08:51 AM

For the record - my 86 is identical to an 87 ASC, but the conversion was actually performed by Choo Choo Customs. Being that it is identical, Im assuming CCC had some kind of deal with ASC, buying the parts from them - odd as it may seem..

;)
Ken

gcgarner 05-09-2006 11:05 AM

That's probably what this one is then.

gcgarner 05-09-2006 04:53 PM

Can anybody explain this one? Is this factory? If so ... somebody grab it 'cause I've never seen one like it. I think its a chop job, though (but it looks pretty good for a chop job)

eBay Motors: Pontiac : Trans Am (item 4638519628 end time May-15-06 08:39:23 PDT)

ajmclean 05-09-2006 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by gcgarner
Can anybody explain this one? Is this factory? If so ... somebody grab it 'cause I've never seen one like it. I think its a chop job, though (but it looks pretty good for a chop job)

eBay Motors: Pontiac : Trans Am (item 4638519628 end time May-15-06 08:39:23 PDT)

i asked the seller if he knew the convesion company he said its
probably "Coach Builders Limited in Florida" but he is not sure,
i also posted question about it in the History board but no one
seems to have info about it

gcgarner 05-10-2006 06:58 AM

Thanks for the research! I will keep an eye on the history board. I'd say this wasn't a conversion that the factory comissioned, but it doesn't look too bad. I just wish there was a tonneau cover, boot, or something over the top when its down.

lonsal 05-10-2006 07:50 AM

It is not an ASC (factory conversion). Coach Builders of FL was one of the companies that was doing conversions in the early 80's according to Camaro the Third Generation by Michael Lamm. There's no picture of their conversion, just a description and price for the conversion (6K).

Lon

ajmclean 05-10-2006 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by lonsal
It is not an ASC (factory conversion). Coach Builders of FL was one of the companies that was doing conversions in the early 80's according to Camaro the Third Generation by Michael Lamm. There's no picture of their conversion, just a description and price for the conversion (6K).

Lon

do u think there were good conversion before ASC and r they worth buying?

gcgarner 05-10-2006 07:59 PM

Yes. Autoform made 2-seater vert conversions in the mid 80's. That's why I posted earlier about the Autoform 2-seater and you said this:

what r u talkin about?

it is a 4 seater and yes it looks like ASC conversions
... after I said:

Damn! It sure looks like an ASC conversion! I thought there were only Autoform conversions (the 2-seaters) back then.
You can see one here:

eBay Motors: Chevrolet : Camaro (item 4631439471 end time Apr-25-06 12:53:37 PDT)

They did it for T/As also.

And as you can tell by what this one brought (although it didn't sell), yes they are worth buying. Most owners are asking too much for them now, but there might be a steal out there somewhere.

plndtx 05-10-2006 09:28 PM

gcgarner,

Third gens are not going to get any cheaper. Every day the supply of good cars is dropping via crashes, rust, mods, miles, etc. Every day, guys our age are getting our financial milestones accomplished, student loans, credit cards, home down payments, cars paid off, babies paid off, etc. Supply of good cars going down + supply of guys with cash going up = higher value third gen cars.
Think about it, when a person who grew up in the '80's and early '90's, finally 'arrives' and has money to get a car that he couldn't afford when he was in high school, what does he have to choose from?

gcgarner 05-11-2006 08:51 AM

I never said they were going to get any cheaper. I know they are going to climb in value steadily over time. That's why I have one ... exactly like you said, I couldn't afford it in high school, but now I can. Of course, my car is not as nice as a brand new one right now, but it will be before I'm finished with it!

gregwagner 05-12-2006 10:47 AM

1984 Z28 Convertible Matrix M3

1 Attachment(s)
I own an 84 Z28 that was converted by a company called Matrix3. It was done in 84 when the car was new. The story I have been told was they converted 500 cars in an attept to get a contract with Chevy to do the 87s. I have found 3 other owners on CarDomain. They have all been altered, mine is stock except for tires and radio. I currently have 68,000 miles on it. A company named Choo Choo Customs produced 743 convertibles in 1986.

bc69ss 06-04-2006 10:29 PM

86' z/28 convertible

Hello, I just bought an 86' z/28 convertible yesterday. How do I post pics. of it?

bc69ss 06-04-2006 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic. Hope it works...

gregwagner 06-04-2006 11:20 PM

Nice Convert.

Your pic comes up fine. Do you know who did your conversion?

bc69ss 06-04-2006 11:45 PM

conversion

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure, looks like ASC from other info. I'm finding on here. I hope I didn't over pay for the car, I gave 4500 for it and spent 300 going to get it... Oh well, it looks good on the outside! I need to do something with the interior though... somebody combined tan and green leather...

Jza 07-23-2006 02:28 PM

Yikes! :o :lol: It's a little wild for me, but not bad looking.

Bluejae 07-23-2006 03:22 PM

I like the car. It definately has the potential to just ooze sexiness. I think I would definately see about either having the interior recovered in the tan leather and/or put in 4th gen tan leather seats and just have the door panels recovered in tan leather. I think I would also do something different with the steering wheel. I really don't think that you paid too much for it considering what you have to start on from. Keep us updated on what you decide to do, I am interested to see how it turns out. Please keep those wheels though, because they really set the car off well. Are they 17's or 18's?

BowsandBirds 08-22-2006 10:21 PM

Hello.......long time lurker, first time poster. All are nice looking verts. I really like that 84...something about that latching header for the top instead of the snaps for a pre-87 vert really makes it look right. The luggage rack is just icing on the cake.....kinda like the luggage racks on the old stingrays. I'm in the process of redoing three verts....a 1988, a 1990, and a 1992. I'm finding it hard to find restore forums and/or information for our third gen verts. I'll see about posting pics as soon as I can. The 92 needs floorboards....does anyone know the best way about going about changing them...or better yet, a how-to guide anywhere on line? Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

86asc camaro 05-07-2007 11:17 PM

Re: '86 ASC Camaro Convertible???

1 Attachment(s)
Well if you guys like those ASC convertibles than I guess you guys might be able to help me out. I am a fortunate owner of a 86 ASC convertible camaro most all original. I kept it that way because I thought it was a really cool car for it's time. I had some one contact me when I had first purchased it he told me of its coming about and that it was a is special car.It is / was # 141 indicated by the badge on the dash as well as had the engraved markings on the convertible cross members. Sad to say that not only a week ago I was crashed into by a old guy . He was fully at fault. They are coming to check out the car tomorrow morning witch would be 5/8/07 at 8:00 am if any one reads this before then and has some help full info I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I would hope that the car is fixable and not considered totaled for obvious reasons. As well as any ways to show the adjuster the cars TRUE value.

Thanks Jeff
O for a real pic here you go
and I don't know if I want to post the pics of the aftermath. Its only the front end but looks like some good damage. http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ckpower/22.jpg

7vets 05-22-2007 01:45 AM

Re: '84 Camaro Convertible???2seater auto-form

I'm looking at a 84 2 seater, any body got any idea's about parts etc, or should I stay away from it????? THANKS P.S. It runs and looks pretty good, it needs new top rear window, rubber seals that go above windows,and the interior light is missing its cover, also it looks like somebody welded (2) pieces of flat stock steel to the back of the hatch swivel points????? Should there be a nice (s) type of swivel. Get Back to me asap!!!!!! Thanks :confused::confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

gcgarner 05-22-2007 07:54 AM

it needs new top rear window, rubber seals that go above windows,and the interior light is missing its cover, also it looks like somebody welded (2) pieces of flat stock steel to the back of the hatch swivel points????? Should there be a nice (s) type of swivel.
I'm no expert on these cars, but this is my input:

1) The rear window should be no problem for any auto upholstery shop.

2) Rubber seals (I guess you mean weatherstripping?) might be a problem. You might have to have some custom made if possible. I'm sure custom weather stripping is possible, but it's probably expensive.

3) Interior light cover I know nothing about. If Autoform used the same dome light as the stock Camaro/Trans Am, then you can probably find a cover at any junk yard. If they used a different dome light, then I'd say you're pretty screwed on that one. Unless you can find the company that manufactured the dome lights and contacted them ... there might be some info somewhere inside the light.

4) The pieces of "flat stock steel" might be the stock hinges. They kinda' look like they belong on a boat rather than a car. Do they have ANY shape to them (like a taper towards the ends) or are they just squared off. If they are sqaure on the edges, they might be make-shift replacements. If they are dull, they were originally shiny chrome and could probably be shined up with some elbow grease if they really are the originals.

okfoz 05-25-2007 08:19 AM

Someone asked the question about pre 1987 Verts.

Although nothing was official through GM as there were several companies bidding on the project to get the conversion, ASC eventually won, there were several companies who did conversion of 3rd gens.

Autoform is probably the most notable pre 87 vert, probably because it was unique to make the car into a 2 seater.
Matrix3, Hi-Line Kustoms, Stramman, International Coach and ASC all made pre 87 verts... Choo Choo customs may have produced 743 camaro verts in 1986 as well, because the cars are so similar to ASC I wonder if they were not done by ASC, or CCC may have sold the tooling to ASC...

John

antielvis 06-08-2007 04:56 PM

Years back my brother and I each bought an IROC convertible - his and '86 and mine an '87. We didn't realize at the time that only one was an 'official' convertible because they were so similar and each had an ASC tag showing who did the conversion. Only real differences I remember are mine has the anniversary edition leather pouch on the dash and there was something different about the latch handle releasing the top from the tonneau cover. I can't compare any more since his has been sold off so would have to see if he can remember any other little changes.

Stephen 06-09-2007 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A local guys here...'85 Autoform 2 seater, 14,700 miles

SoldAustin's ride

jstoltz 06-10-2007 01:29 PM

the 86 asc conversions use the same weatherstripping as the 87's at least the one I saw a while back did.

cyets 06-13-2007 06:12 PM

Hello everyone. I've been reading the posts and trying to get some info on an 1986 Firebird that I just bought. It's a convertible but a 4 seater. It's not an Autoforms or ACS. The car is in good shape for a 1986 and runs well. It could use some top repair and a crack in the dash. Other than its a v6 it's a nice car.

:thanks:

ajmclean 06-14-2007 09:10 AM

lets see some pics

okfoz 06-14-2007 10:20 AM

There were a handful of car companies making verts prior to 1987, but it seems that any aftermarket work went away once Chevy offered it as an option... ASC seemed to get the remainder of the work for the Pontiacs as well as I have never seen anything other than ASC after 1986.

Post a pic, someone probably can identify it... a pic with the top op and down will help because everyone seemed to have a different top.

John

88IROConv 07-25-2007 03:02 PM

Can you still get the black vinyl tonneau cover for the ASC convertible? I don't need the metal piece just the vinyl part.

Also my car is all original except for the battery. Anybody know what the original battery looked like in the 88's?

okfoz 07-25-2007 05:02 PM

You might be hard pressed to find an original Black Vinyl piece. Your best bet may be to remove it and remove and replace the Vinyl. I am not sure how it comes off, someone stated that it is glued down so you have to be super careful removing it.

As for the Battery... A Delco battery from that era is probably no longer available. YOu will probably have to replace it with a newer Delco and call it a day.

John

serpentineocean 07-26-2007 09:06 AM

This one WAS a 86' ASC convertible (before it burned to the ground before my eyes)

http://www.silverdagger.net/imggallery/d/1159-1/1.jpg

cyets 07-26-2007 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic

Herbo 08-12-2007 09:17 PM

To all who are interested, Mike Antonick's Camaro white book, 1987 facts states: ASC did build convertibles for customer-owned Camaros (also true for 1986). This was actually an explanation of how some 1987 350ci Camaros were built.

tourville 08-13-2007 06:05 PM

well not sure if you all are checknig this still but here is an 83 2 seater on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...QQcmdZViewItem
says This car went from the assembly plant to Stiletto Company in Indiana to be made into a convertible.

judycalandra 09-20-2007 12:24 PM

Hi,
New here,

My husband and I just bought a 1986 Camero Convertible from my sister. She bought it in 1989 from a a chey dealer and was told at the time it was a courtesty car to GM employees and that there was only 200 made. ASC did the convertible top there is an ASC emblem on the dash along with a Special Edition tag #67.

We are wondering how much we should put into it. It needs paint and there is some rust. Seats are faded. 69,000 orginal miles. It also has a carburator, which we have been told is unusual.

Thanks for any advice.

Judy

cyets 09-20-2007 02:54 PM

It's hard for me to say how much to invest. First look at the cost of the car, what you paid for it. Then how much it will cost to make her a clean car... not a show car but clean. I would keep it under 10k. I've heard some of these cars can be worth up to 15k. But the final thought on any car is how much you like the car. You know what they say, one mans junk and so on...

Cary Yets

okfoz 09-20-2007 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What I have found interesting is that ASC kept records of cars they sold to GM. I have a spreadsheet With the production figures this is actually from ASC as of a few weeks ago.

The most interesting thing about this list is that they list the 1987-1989 Firebird convertibles but Pontiac does not consider them Authentic. What is further interesting is that there were obviously ASC convertibles in 1986 but they do not list the production of such cars.

There is probably a few things going on with the pre 1987 ASC verts. 1) I suspect that they may have been prototypes for one reason or another. They were not officially sanctioned by GM, much like the 87-89 Firebird convertibles but they do exist. 2) GM and ASC may have had an agreement to make a few cars prior to 1987 as to work out any problems or bugs before full production went into effect. The cars could have been customer owned cars which were not dealer ordered. But historically speaking I have found few cars which may have been non dealerships ordering an ASC convertible.

I guess probably one of the biggest possibilities is that ASC started to make Convertibles in 1986, Since they made just about every other convertible for GM, GM decided to contract them to do the F-body.

What Ever the case may be the non production convertibles have something going for them that many of the production cars also have going for them. Parts are reasonably easy to find, since they are essentially the same as a factory authorized convertible from 1987+ there would be nothing to distinguish them from the real thing except for the VIN, which would indicate coupe not Convertible. I know from talking to owners of non-authorized convertibles that all work pertaining to the convertible top and pieces and parts were done by dealerships when they were new, they were treated as if they were originally made by Chevrolet or Pontiac.

Are the cars worth fixing up??? I would think so considering everything they are essentially a part of the history of the 3rd gen. Whether or not they were a prototype production run, or they were a special GM order they have a place and a niche. Whether they will hold value as well as a convertible with a 3 in the Vin instead of a 2, God only knows. My opinion is for cars made in 1986, and the 1987-1989 Firebirds since they were not technically made anyways they would have as much value as the real thing JUST because they are much more rare.

John

judycalandra 09-20-2007 04:28 PM

Thanks for the help and advice.
We don't want to go overboard. Just make it clean again.

I picked up on ebay an orginial flyer for ASC and the '86 Camero Convertible. Won't know what it says until I receive it.

The Vin has a 3 and 2. Which number or where in placement says its a vert or a coupe? The last three numbers are 320.

Never restored a car before so I will be asking for as much advice as we can get.
How bad is it to change things from the orginal?

Thank You, for link to the ASC production list. It is interesting.

Thanks Again,

Judy

cyets 09-20-2007 05:59 PM

My 1986 Firebird has a vin number ending in 2. The first 3 numbers are"1G2" and no 3's anywhere in the vin number. My title also says convertible. Bad news is that nowhere on the car has any info about who did the convertible.

Cary

okfoz 09-21-2007 08:56 AM

Its not the END of the VIN and I mistyped myself. I forgot that in 1986 they had a different designation. From 1987 & up all Hardtop cars VINS would start with 1G?F?21...

1= USA
G = GM
1 = Chevrolet; 2= Pontiac
F = F-body
S = Base Firebird; W=Trans Am; P=Camaro;
2 = 2 Door Hatchback; 3= 2 door Convertible
1 = Seatbelt system

In 1985 & 1986 it was similar but not the same
1 = US
G = GM
1 = Chevy, 2 = Pontiac
F = "F-body"
S = Base Firebird or Berlinetta; W=Trans Am; P=Camaro; X=S/E Firebird;
87 = Coupe - 2 Door plain back Special
67 = Coupe - 2 door Convertible

All F-bodies in 1985 & 1986 should have been 87 as the convertible did not appear until 1987.

John

Jza 11-21-2007 03:48 PM

I wonder if you can take a picture of the dash emblem.

My 86 convertible just says Z28 Tuned Port Injection / Special Edition #0041

The ASC logo on my car is on the door..

krs-1 02-01-2008 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by plndtx (Post 2874933)
Did ASC convert cars before '87? Here is a link to an '86 on ebay.
I think this would be a highly collectable car. It really looks nice and different without all of the gfx. Put some period correct rims and you would have a real headturner.
Just my 2 cents.

eBay Motors: Chevrolet : Camaro (item 4637682314 end time May-12-06 13:28:08 PDT)

Edit: It's a given that the goofy a__ IROC decal would have to go, right?

i have an 87 convertible asc says was thr 1st year of production