Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Convertibles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/)
-   -   Convertible top color.....Yes or No? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/781365-convertible-top-color-yes.html)

Roorancher 06-03-2022 10:42 PM

Convertible top color.....Yes or No?

Hey Guys!
I'm about to buy my 2nd TA vert. It's red with tan leather interior/Optima seats and it currently has the tan convertible top, which needs to be replaced.

Would it be "against the rules" or committing some kind of "convertible crime" to put a black top on the car?

Thoughts and opinions, please.

TIA!!

yankeecarman 06-04-2022 05:25 PM

Re: Convertible top color.....Yes or No?

Originally Posted by Roorancher (Post 6468379)
Hey Guys!
I'm about to buy my 2nd TA vert. It's red with tan leather interior/Optima seats and it currently has the tan convertible top, which needs to be replaced.

Would it be "against the rules" or committing some kind of "convertible crime" to put a black top on the car?

Thoughts and opinions, please.

TIA!!

Really it is up to you. My 91 TA was the same color as yours. I thought about changing the top to black and was going to change the interior also to black. My wife talked me out of it and I am glad she did. Years later I changed the hood on the car and decided to paint the whole car. The guy who I chose to paint it talked me into changing the red that was original to a darker and brighter red. I am also glad he did because I have had so many more compliments on the new color. In the end, it is what you really want for yourself.

vinny R 06-05-2022 07:38 AM

IMHO I never liked any color but black for a convertible top. To me it would be very difficult to keep a light color clean but then again how much do you really have the top up anyway? :burnout:

Roorancher 06-05-2022 08:51 AM

I live in Central Texas. In June, July and August you can have the top down early in the morning for a cruise or drive to work, but in the afternoon or evening it's top up, A/C on!

yankeecarman 06-05-2022 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Roorancher (Post 6468499)
I live in Central Texas. In June, July and August you can have the top down early in the morning for a cruise or drive to work, but in the afternoon or evening it's top up, A/C on!

I have no problem keeping my top clean. I clean it about once per year and it is garaged when I am not driving. To me it is important to clean it and also add a protectant on it. Although, I would do the same with a black top. In fact I think the black to would be harder to keep clean in my opinion.

okfoz 06-08-2022 09:16 AM

91-92 Tan interiors only got a Tan top when new. Interestingly only Tan Top cars also got the Gold Wheels in 91, 92 cars there were more Gold Wheels than Tan tops.

John

1989karr 06-10-2022 07:49 PM

I used to like black tops.. but realized TAN looks nice!

but here's a thread black on red if you want to see / visualize it

Updated Pics - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Now I think black tops looks good on white cars though

tavert91 08-01-2022 05:12 PM

Tan is original and looks great on the '91 and '92 verts. I would put a tan one back on. Black would look out of place especially with so few of them made.

mikeceli 08-01-2022 07:30 PM

Tan is original , looks nice w/ red and is cooler.

Black would be very bad choice, with your colors, IMO.

alan91z28 08-03-2022 12:20 PM

i think it is just what you enjoy and like

back in May 1990 i specifically factory ordered my 1991 Z28 vert so that i could get
- 5.0 TPI with 5 speed manual
- Dark Red Metallic
- Black interior
- Black top

I have thought about at times also picking up a 91 or 92 trans am vert, but if i did i would be tempted to change the top / interior / wheels to black as that is just what i like

88IROCDT 08-16-2022 08:52 AM

I think it is up to you, I normally don't like tan tops, but with your color combo I think a tan tap would look fine.