Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Cooling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/)
-   -   Coolant level? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/294420-coolant-level.html)

twobirds 04-29-2005 09:20 AM

Coolant level?

1 Attachment(s)
The "coolant" warning on my digital dash stays on all the time. This is on the part of the dash that has the system check. The rad is full, car never over heats(I drive it everyday), the overfill bottle has the correct level, and the car runs great. Any idea why this is staying on? Here is a pic of what I mean. Maybe a bad sensor? It is driving me crazy. Thanks for the help.
Conrad

twobirds 05-01-2005 05:33 PM

Any left field idea's? Everything coolant related is hooked up, maybe a bad ground??? I'm guessing at this point.

CbrasTsteLkChk 05-01-2005 09:22 PM

i was gonna say it may be grounding like you mentioned:confused:

Diggler86 05-03-2005 07:41 PM

pop out the sensor from the coolant tank, and see if you can manually move the float up to the top and make the message go away.

if not then unplug the sensor and see if it goes away.

meridius 05-03-2005 08:23 PM

I think its just a little two wire sensor, cant remember where they are off the top of my head, either in the overflow tank or in the one tank on the radiator. Id just unplug it and see if the light goes out and if it dont take a small jumper wire and touch the two terminals together and then if it goes out you need a sensor or you could just take the two wires and wire them together or just leave it unplugged, which ever way the light goes out, but I know if it were mine Id want it repaired right.

twobirds 05-04-2005 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a pic of the overflow tank. There is no float in it of any kind. The only thing going to it is the hose from the rad. I also looked on the rad on there is nothing, not even a place where a sensor might go. Should I have one? I don't remeber one on my 92 tbi either, specially on the overflow tank,cause I switch it out for a summit tank. So now back to step one.Dam.

Conrad

german-motorsport 05-04-2005 04:48 PM

If the digi gauges are stock somebody swaped in a wrong radiator tbi or tpi with analog gauges!
the sensor for the "coolant" lamp is on the passenger side plastic tank of the radiator!

i can post pics on the weekend!

the wiring is shown in the 88 firebird shop manual.....

twobirds 05-04-2005 07:35 PM

Ok that makes sense, the rad is out of a 88 formy 350. That being said is there any way to get my "coolant" light to go out, or is it one of those ,just live with it deals?

Thanks,
Conrad

meridius 05-04-2005 10:13 PM

You dont have to love with it. You can jumper the two wires together that plugged into the sensor and the light should go away since theres no sensor to plug it into anymore. I know I wouldnt want to live with it on in my car especially since it beeps at you to let you know its there, at least my digital dash does when it sees something wrong like a light or whatever.

twobirds 05-05-2005 02:38 PM

Alright, I found the wire that was spose to go the rad. It was a single wire(yellow w/black stripe). I gounded it and the "coolant" light went off, finally. Thanks for all the help.

Laters,
Conrad

bobj823 07-17-2011 08:14 PM

Re: Coolant level?

THis thread solved my "Coolant" light problem. Thanks to you all. And yes, it was a hiddent yellow w/ black wire that was disconnected. I grounded it out and bingo. Perfect ! -The thing I found that is the hardest to resolve is that many suppliers don't understand that the digital setup up is completely different. Even the trim ring around the Climate Control has a smaller opening.- This website has been a god send.

Mitch91Z28 07-18-2011 01:42 PM

Re: Coolant level?

Holy 6 year old thread revival!