Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Cooling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/)
-   -   tranny cooler (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/528534-tranny-cooler.html)

monsterjam5000 06-02-2009 05:24 AM

tranny cooler

whats a good trans cooler for a 91 camaro rs tbi 5.0?

oil pan 4 06-02-2009 06:44 AM

Re: tranny cooler

I went to my local Advanced auto and got the smallest aluminum trans cooler they had and mounted it in front of the radiator with ADAL clamps from lowes and used the hose clamps and trans cooler line that were in the kit. I plumbed mine so it uses the radiators built in cooler and then runs through the aftermarket cooler and back into the transmission.
With a 180'F engine coolant thermstat, an added air-oil cooler and good air flow you wont have any transmission heat problems.
Don't use that cheap-0 mounting kit BS the kit comes with. ADAL clams are best.

one92rs 06-02-2009 02:26 PM

i used the hayden 679 from oreilly auto which is the same as the bigger imperial stacked plate cooler from advanced auto. tapped into the top line. out of the rad to the bottom of the cooler and out the top of the cooler to the steel line.

monsterjam5000 06-03-2009 06:12 PM

i have never seen any body using the original cooler and an aftermarket one as well. thanks alot this is a lot of help.

when i do this to you have to bleed any thing?

one92rs 06-05-2009 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by monsterjam5000 (Post 4178903)
i have never seen any body using the original cooler and an aftermarket one as well. thanks alot this is a lot of help.

when i do this to you have to bleed any thing?

nope just make sure all is tight and start her up. then check fluid level.

abray1 06-06-2009 10:04 AM

The bigger the better. For every 10 degree drop in temperature you add ten thousand miles to an automatic transmission so logic says the bigger the better. You should route it through the radiator first then to the cooler and then back to the trans.

Reid Fleming 06-06-2009 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by abray1 (Post 4181770)
The bigger the better. For every 10 degree drop in temperature you add ten thousand miles to an automatic transmission so logic says the bigger the better. You should route it through the radiator first then to the cooler and then back to the trans.

I would only do that in a northern climate or when I was planning on driving in cold winters.

rick121 10-01-2009 11:26 AM

can you show a pic of your setup? just bought one from a guy here and I'm not much of a visionary type person... I have to see what I'm doing and your set up is exactly that.

one92rs 10-01-2009 05:03 PM

actually i am going to go just to the external cooler this weekend and see how it all works. hey ried got any pics??