Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DFI and ECM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/)
-   -   Self-tuning EFI options/discussion (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/616587-self-tuning-efi-options.html)

88TPI406GTA 06-03-2011 05:02 PM

Self-tuning EFI options/discussion

I don't want to hijack the EZ-EFI install threads on this...so hear is a new thread.

I have done some research on the EZ-EFI, Holley Avenger, Professional Products EFI (Powerjection III), etc. What system offers the best bang for the buck (under $2K) that has best options, etc. I am doing the research to upgrade from TPI, so I am not starting from scratch.

If I understand this properly:

EZ-EFI: Self-tuning, but limited in other control options, including no spark control
Cost: $895 for ECU and harness (retrofit to TPI)

Accel: No-self tuning, but has optional control of fans, spark, knock sensor, etc.
Cost: $1,800?

Powerjection 3: Self-tuning, good replacement for existing carb
Cost: $1700 for all, including TB

Thanks for the info...

RBob 06-03-2011 08:59 PM

Re: Self-tuning EFI options/discussion

Originally Posted by 88TPI406GTA (Post 4941536)
I don't want to hijack the EZ-EFI install threads on this...so hear is a new thread.

I have done some research on the EZ-EFI, Holley Avenger, Professional Products EFI (Powerjection III), etc. What system offers the best bang for the buck (under $2K) that has best options, etc. I am doing the research to upgrade from TPI, so I am not starting from scratch.

If I understand this properly:

EZ-EFI: Self-tuning, but limited in other control options, including no spark control
Cost: $895 for ECU and harness (retrofit to TPI)

Accel: No-self tuning, but has optional control of fans, spark, knock sensor, etc.
Cost: $1,800?

Powerjection 3: Self-tuning, good replacement for existing carb
Cost: $1700 for all, including TB

Thanks for the info...

I don't usually get involved with these threads, but, EBL P4 Flash, for MPFI systems. All emissions equipment is available, 1, 2, or 3 bar MAP (2/3-bar for boost compensation), dual fans, N2O wet control, VE tables to 8,000 RPM, SA tables to 6400 RPM, high idle for those with on-board air or welding, A/C and fan cut off in PE mode. The list goes on...

TCC lockup, DFCO, closed or open loop operation, the refinements of OEM GM code plus that of hi-performance code.

On board flash memory for the calibration, takes only a few seconds up update. Data logging, playback, analysis, documentation, all included.

RBob.

Saar 06-04-2011 08:34 AM

after seeing what what the megasquirt autotune did to a friend's Turbo Grand Prix, i'm kind of hesitant to want any kind of "permanent" changes dictated by software...

but the EBL is actually the cheapest of all options mentioned so far and with what seems to be the most complete options list.

scamaro355 06-04-2011 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Saar;4942016]after seeing what what the megasquirt autotune did to a friend's Turbo Grand Prix, i'm kind of hesitant to want any kind of "permanent" changes dictated by software...

Did your friend not have a wideband to monitor how the a/f was running? or what was the major problem with the megasquirt autotune...

The holley Dominator EFI setup looks pretty sweet....

Saar 06-04-2011 09:35 AM

whatever software is intended to be used with the MS(tunerstudio?) was using the wideband signal to automatically adjust the VE tables, it decided to go WAY lean in a few spots(wideband might have been acting crazy?), combine that with boost and it killed headgaskets and sounds like it warped the heads since no HGs after that lasted a month.

Six_Shooter 06-04-2011 01:17 PM

And that, boys and girls, is the reason I don't trust auto tuning EFI.

FSTFBDY 06-04-2011 05:09 PM

Im by no means deep into tuning (running $59 on my boosted motor)see sig for info)
but even WITH something with auto tune as "HELP" he should have been watchig that wb02 guage ,etc..

Ive been considering getting rid of the 7730 and $59 in favor of something with auto tune. For ease of letting it do most f the work and then go in and "tweek" the rest of the stuff.

Been looking at the ebl. etc. I have a Holley 950 commander on the shelf also.