Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   ADS Super Chip.... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/439430-ads-super-chip.html)

GTA Sammy 09-07-2007 10:24 PM

ADS Super Chip....

I know , I know......... aftermarket chips are anything but super...... but I was wondering if an aftermarket chip like the one I bought 10/12 yrs ago (ADS SuperChip) could be erased and re-programmed?

I will have to start programming soon I guess and want to know if I can work with what I got already.......

Grim Reaper 09-08-2007 12:39 AM

Re: ADS Super Chip....

Originally Posted by GTA Sammy (Post 3458176)
I know , I know......... aftermarket chips are anything but super...... but I was wondering if an aftermarket chip like the one I bought 10/12 yrs ago (ADS SuperChip) could be erased and re-programmed?

That is probably the best thing I can say about the ADS Superchip.

I started with the ADS Superchip "piggyback" for my 91 GTA back in the 1990s and used it when I got into eprom burning. I just pulled out the original eprom and inserted a flash prom instead.

On my ADS Superchip, the eprom was not soldered in (and I heard others for different model years are either). So I gently pulled it out (but inserting a flat screwdriver and working both ends) and then I was able to insert a flash prom in place.

Unfortunately, the AT29C256 flash proms are no longer made (they were a great replacement). But you can insert a zero force adapter and then just swap out eproms.

Alternatively, you can see how Moates adapter can be utiled with your memcal. I don't use the Moates adapter, but you should check it out and see if it helps out.

Good luck and welcome to tuning. Also, you use the $6E MAF system, which is probably the best defined MAF system used on 3rd Gens. While I personally use SD - the $6E is one of my favorite MAF systems to work with.

Camaero 09-08-2007 12:47 AM

Just to comment on the Moates adapter, I have to say it works like a beauty and is very very simple. I really like that thing.

Also, he now has the C2 SST 27SF512 Chip which, according to moates.net, "Works fine as a drop-in replacement for the AT29C256."

So there you go. :)

Nitsuj86Iroc 09-08-2007 01:29 AM

Blank chips are pretty cheap, i bought two but really only ever used one, just a backup.

I think most people would agree that youd be better off pretending that the ADS chip doesnt exist haha.

So if you dont have a stock chip to start with, all you need after you have burning equipment, is to get a blank chip, download the stock tune (a .bin file), and burn that file to that blank chip. youll be able to tune form there, where i dont believe that youd be able to tune the aftermarket chip..

hope that made sense, im quite tired..haha