Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Need help tracking down Fan Switch problem. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/255606-need-help-tracking-down.html)

Matty377 08-18-2004 07:39 AM

Need help tracking down Fan Switch problem.

Hi-

My problem is that my electric cooling fan isn't turning on. I have let it it warm up to about 240 and no results. The radiator fan switch in the car is new. If I unplug the fan switch connector and clip the contact on the connector to the neg batt terminal, the fan goes on no problem so I know the fan works. But the temperature switch doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Since it's a new switch, I didn't think it would be that. Could it be the relay? Or would the fan not work at all if the relay was shot?
Should I just try replacing the switch again?

If you need the info:
86 camaro sport coupe LG4

Thanks.

-Matt

Trickster 08-18-2004 08:42 PM

Try replacing the fan relay first since you have had the fan working by jumpering the connector. Just a thought!!!!!!!!:D

305PhoenixAm 08-19-2004 12:21 AM

Haha, I replied to this on accident. [edit], yup. And if the relay doesn't do it make sure the place didn't give you a coolant temperature sendor instead of a fan switch..for some reason that happens sometimes.

Trickster 08-19-2004 08:14 AM

Originally posted by 305PhoenixAm
Haha, I replied to this on accident. [edit], yup. And if the relay doesn't do it make sure the place didn't give you a coolant temperature sendor instead of a fan switch..for some reason that happens sometimes.
I think that he would find the difference in the two when he tried to connect it.:D

Matty377 08-19-2004 09:49 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the one in there is definitely a fan switch. Got the connector that looks like the one on the knock sensor. I'll try the relay and if that doesn't work, i'll try replacing the switch again.

Thanks again.

-Matt

Danno 08-22-2004 07:44 AM

If the fan runs when grounding the wire it eliminates the relay as being the problem. The switch grounds the relay.

Matty377 08-22-2004 02:11 PM

Would a coolant leak cause the fan not to go on(switch not to ground)? I think I've got a pretty serious leak from the intake gaskets.

Danno 08-23-2004 06:41 AM

Sure would.

BadNewsCamaro 08-25-2004 01:14 PM

believe it or not i had the exact same problem, if i grounded the wire the fan would turn on but if i let it heat up........nothin. So after alot of fooling i came to find out it was just the connecter on the end of the wire was bad. I put a new one on and let it heat up and TADA! the fan kicked in.

Matty377 08-25-2004 02:17 PM

Hmmm...

I'll give that a try. Where can I get that connector? Should it be something readily available locally or somewhere on the web?

Thanks for the reply.

-Matt