Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   1989 firebird electric fan not working (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/759191-1989-firebird-electric-fan.html)

BarryKohl 02-19-2019 09:42 PM

1989 firebird electric fan not working

fan won't kick on when engine overheats.
when you turn on the a/c the fan kicks on.
had someone look at it and said the ecm is the issue.
replaced the ecm and no change.
checked thermostat and is ok.
I guess I could test the wiring from the thermstat to the ecm and see if there is current.
any ideas?

Tuned Performance 02-19-2019 09:47 PM

Re: 1989 firebird electric fan not working

What engine ? V6 2.8l or v8 tpi or tbi ?

The thermostat doesn’t control the fan, either it’s ecm controls the relay or there is a cylinder head temp switch.

BarryKohl 02-20-2019 09:52 AM

thx i will try the relay.

Tuned Performance 02-20-2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by BarryKohl (Post 6283219)
thx i will try the relay.

what are you working on ?
two fan setup ?

henryd3 02-20-2019 09:32 PM

The fact that AC turns on the fan shows the relay to be working fine. Depending on the engine and fan setup it sounds like a common failed fan switch. Tell us which engine
and whether you have single or dual fans

Aviator857 02-21-2019 09:33 AM

There are two "temp sensors" on the car, one drives the fans and one drives the gauge. If you take the wire off the fan switch and touch it to ground with the key on the fan should start up. If it does the switch is bad, if it doesn't then you have a wiring issue or relay issue.

Tuned Performance 02-21-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Aviator857 (Post 6283425)
There are two "temp sensors" on the car, one drives the fans and one drives the gauge. If you take the wire off the fan switch and touch it to ground with the key on the fan should start up. If it does the switch is bad, if it doesn't then you have a wiring issue or relay issue.

I think the op has left. Depending on the application there is the ecm controls switch the cts.
Like you mention a cylinder head temp switch that’s normally open circuit.
To the op if you want help diagnosing the issue instead of throwing parts at the problem. You need to state what your working on. Your signature is incomplete.

maroe624 02-21-2019 12:16 PM

This might not be the issue but just a tip for those who are experiencing the same problems. Happened to me once were my fan wouldn't turn on. The issue was that the contacts on the fan plug were so bent that they weren't making contact. Just took a small flathead and opened up the contacts and problem fixed. :2cents: