Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Engine Swap (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/)
-   -   Please Help Me Get Started (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/604584-please-help-me-get.html)

asoucek 02-23-2011 04:33 AM

Please Help Me Get Started

Hello,
Well thank you for taking the time to look at this thread so I turn to the the best, which hopefully thats you, SO LETS CUT TO THE CHASE,
I am looking to build a 355ci Small Block Chevy, I am wanting to run a TPI setup for every right reason, performance, economical, modern, looks, etc... but I am having a hard to figuring out Everything i need , HEADS? INTAKE? STAND ALONE ECM? mayeb im stupid but im wanting to put it in my Jeep, i just need some direction as of what i need to make all that work together, i dont plan on keeping much of the facotry jeep stuff ie. dash gauges, oh and also would like to run serpentine systems as well, I know im asking alot but if you could please help me maybe I can pass this favor someday! THANK YOU!

kevinc 02-23-2011 06:06 AM

Re: Please Help Me Get Started

You can get started by reading the rules of this board, including this part:

Stay on-topic to each specific board/post and discuss Third Generation (1982-1992) F-Bodies (Camaros and Firebirds) ONLY.
To "cut to the chase" Jeeps are not applicable.

torque_is_good 02-23-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by asoucek (Post 4832037)
Hello,
Well thank you for taking the time to look at this thread so I turn to the the best, which hopefully thats you, SO LETS CUT TO THE CHASE,
I am looking to build a 355ci Small Block Chevy, I am wanting to run a TPI setup for every right reason, performance, economical, modern, looks, etc... but I am having a hard to figuring out Everything i need , HEADS? INTAKE? STAND ALONE ECM? mayeb im stupid but im wanting to put it in my Jeep, i just need some direction as of what i need to make all that work together, i dont plan on keeping much of the facotry jeep stuff ie. dash gauges, oh and also would like to run serpentine systems as well, I know im asking alot but if you could please help me maybe I can pass this favor someday! THANK YOU!

A: if you begin with a good block you won't need to bore it

b: sorry, but an engine that was phased out 19 years ago isn't "modern"

sofakingdom 02-23-2011 07:04 AM

Yes there is that Cheep problem...

But aside from that:

Yes you will need some heads and an intake. Stock TPI ones should do just fine. No you do not particularly need a stand-alone ECM; for that mattter, some Cheep ones might even work (the one for a V8 for example), since all the Cheep is, is yerbasic S/D setup, not so different from many years of TPI. All the necessary sensors - CTS, TPS, O2, MAP, and so on, are largely the same, and are even largely in the same places. Might take a bit of tuning, is all; maybe a wire or 2 extended or something, but not much.

No particular reason that the Cheep dash gauges wouldn't work, for all the same reasons.